Break in period 14 m8000

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
But why does it need a break period built into the sleds if they don't need to be broken in?? Isn't this a dealer or manufacturer sorry covering their ass by limiting the machine until it's broken in??

Dont know ? thats doo though, cats are not like that, but again it dont limit it whatsoever, you have use of all the power that sled has, in testing it probably extended the life's of motors just a hair longer to push them out of warranty range saving on warrantied rebuilds thus increasing profit margins

Sent from my iPhone because I'm sledding or to lazy to get off the couch

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
Dont know ? thats doo though, cats are not like that, but again it dont limit it whatsoever, you have use of all the power that sled has, in testing it probably extended the life's of motors just a hair longer to push them out of warranty range saving on warrantied rebuilds thus increasing profit margins

Think I would just stick to the advice of the 2 very reputable dealers and take it easy for the first little bit just to be safe!

Jmo

Phat Cat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've rebuilt more than a few cat motors. I have always broke in a sled engine with mineral based oil for the first couple tanks. Mineral based oil lets the rings seat (synthetic oil may prevent ring set due to extra lubricity) Moderate throttle and not too aggressive but some WOT short periods will help seat the rings. After the first tank I would go with full synthetic oil. The Cat engines are tough no doubt about it! Dont forget to add the extra oil to the first tank as per cat instructions.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I heard that mineral oil helps, never tried that

markoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With todays sled engines you can break them in any way you want and it won't wreck anything. But tests have shown that an engine broken in properly will have more compression(power) than something that just has the crap run out of it.

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With todays sled engines you can break them in any way you want and it won't wreck anything. But tests have shown that an engine broken in properly will have more compression(power) than something that just has the crap run out of it.

bit of an oxymoron in your statement....no?

won't wreck anything but yet with proper break in...test show higher compression....isn't that a good enough reason to do a proper break in? Does no one care about longevity? or just ride the hell out of it and get rid of it...some one else's issue now?

mountianguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There sure are a lot of opinions on this one. I will be heat cycling my engine the first day and breaking in both belts after that short bursts until the first 100/1 tank is done .Then ride the way you like. These engines take about 500 miles to reach full power and there really is no way to shorten that. I dont buy the mineral oil theory as i have broken in many gas and diesel engines on full syn with no issues.The heat cycle is more important to me than oil or how you drive. But thats just me.

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
There sure are a lot of opinions on this one. I will be heat cycling my engine the first day and breaking in both belts after that short bursts until the first 100/1 tank is done .Then ride the way you like. These engines take about 500 miles to reach full power and there really is no way to shorten that. I dont buy the mineral oil theory as i have broken in many gas and diesel engines on full syn with no issues.The heat cycle is more important to me than oil or how you drive. But thats just me.

Would you mind explaining to me, how you "heat cycle" your engine? I have a new 2015, and I'd like to do a decent break in on it.

mountianguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Would you mind explaining to me, how it up too "heat cycle" your engine? I have a new 2015, and I'd like to do a decent break in on it.

Just bring the eng up to operating temp( get it good and hot) and let it cool down and repeat I do this 5-10 cycles. Fairly easy

Jjanke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I tend to agree with those who say just variate the speeds going up the trail for belt break in and then you are ok, just avoid being wot for extended periods of time for the first trip with the new sled. After that you can giver and ride the thing for 6000 miles.

ralphsmotorsports

Reaction score
Website
www.ralphsmotorsports.com
Love hearing good things about our reputation! Ralph's Motorsports heat syncs (cycles) every 800cc new sled that is delivered out of our shop, as part of the PDI of the sled. We definately back our customers warranties, we're here for the customers best interest in supporting their warranties. We back the products we sell. Cat has one of the best warranties on the market. You've definately got a great sled, and we wish you happy riding!

marcel.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So now I'm curious my dealer said first service at 500 km is this a money grab or is there a real reason behind thid?

ttpowersports

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was referring to spendin money on belts, that break due to not being broken in.... if you ask my opinion I will offer it, I don't get pleasure from others expenses. Also as a dealer since 93, I have nt had a lot of luck getting belt warranty :( We also cycle all pdi units, and do run oilpump at full adjustment on
run up , as well as premix first tank :) we tend to tread on the side of caution... but remember the customer is always... right !!!

Terry

Right from t&t's post, remember if you decide to hammer down out of the gate we would be happy to supply you with parts , which to me means break out cheque book lol

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
I was referring to spendin money on belts, that break due to not being broken in.... if you ask my opinion I will offer it, I don't get pleasure from others expenses. Also as a dealer since 93, I have nt had a lot of luck getting belt warranty :( We also cycle all pdi units, and do run oilpump at full adjustment on
run up , as well as premix first tank :) we tend to tread on the side of caution... but remember the customer is always... right !!!

Terry
You obviously have no idea what you're talking about. I'm gonna take tmo's advice.

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm no expert. Just a licensed mechanic that has rebuilt a few engines over the years - almost always someone else's ride.) In my opinion... break it in with a few heat cycles, vary the throttle on the 1st tankful (which should be premixed at 100:1). I personally haven't had an engine failure, and my 1st ride of the season has a bit of oil premixed in the tank, even after new. I fog the engine when I lay it up for the summer, stuff a rag in the intake & exhaust. I generally keep my sleds for 4-5 seasons, and never have an issue selling them. It's your money, if you want to ride it like it's stolen and trade it in every year, be my guest. I'm also of the opinion that taking a new build to the dyno is perhaps the worst thing you can do to it's longevity, but each to their own.

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok so all things I can do myself. So if i don't bring it in will this void warranty in any way?

no, that is Skidoo's cash grab making them come in after few hours.... you can do the servicing by yourself without voiding warranty

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is right from the 2015 owners manual.....

Engine Break-In

The Arctic Cat engine (when new or rebuilt) requires a short break-in period before the engine is subjected to heavy load conditions.

Arctic Cat requires that the 1st tankful of fuel be at 100:1 ratio in all oil-injection models.
*Note: During this period, verify the oil in the tank is decreasing with use.

During the break-in period, a maximum of 1/2 throttle is recommended; however, brief full-throttle accelerations and variations in driving speeds contribute to good engine break-in. After one tankful break-in period, the snowmobile may be taken to an authorized Arctic Cat Snowmobile dealer for a checkup. This checkup is at the discretion and the expense of the snowmobile owner.

Last edited:
Top Bottom