Bobtach machining or replacement?

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So found a extra problem while starting to fix another. I had a leaking tilt cylinder so I started taking apart the lower loader arms on my s185 acreage machine.

Pins and bushing didn’t seam that bad but the bob tack is worn and the new bushing is slop on one side.

How much is a new one vs a line bore and bushings? Edit, Fixed it for you. ron

Last edited by a moderator:

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Getting a new coupler will be probably a couple grand I bet, line boring will be pricey still but a bit less if you removed it and took it to a shop but I bet still $1000 at least. Depending on age of machine and how much use it sees I would just run it with that new bushing, depending on type of bushing you could weld it in place. I had 1 bushing like that on my mini hoe, it's not worth spending huge cash on line boring, it's been in there for like 1000 hours and it's a main stick bushing and it hasn't cracked out yet and I didn't weld it in or anything.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Getting a new coupler will be probably a couple grand I bet, line boring will be pricey still but a bit less if you removed it and took it to a shop but I bet still $1000 at least. Depending on age of machine and how much use it sees I would just run it with that new bushing, depending on type of bushing you could weld it in place. I had 1 bushing like that on my mini hoe, it's not worth spending huge cash on line boring, it's been in there for like 1000 hours and it's a main stick bushing and it hasn't cracked out yet and I didn't weld it in or anything.
Yeah, kinda like brakes on a trailer, who needs them, why waist money on maintenance.

gotboost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just did this to my T590 Bobcat they are a tapered so you can't line bore them. Tizzco Welding did mine for me they welded it up and hand grounded it off so the new bushings fit tight

rsaint

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Going thru this same on my Case 320 cheaper to replace whole coupler, which is upgraded to more bushing surface.

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Machinist said he will just build it up inside the bore then re drill it so everything fits tight.

Bobcat does sell the whole weld in pieces. But cutting or boring out the old ones would be a job too!

Attachments

• EC9415F6-7752-4951-BA03-6C0FF594A7CA.png
    EC9415F6-7752-4951-BA03-6C0FF594A7CA.png
    423.5 KB · Views: 111
  • 86029780-34CD-41E6-8E8C-9C4CE5936D90.png
    86029780-34CD-41E6-8E8C-9C4CE5936D90.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 104

gotboost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Machinist said he will just build it up inside the bore then re drill it so everything fits tight.

Bobcat does sell the whole weld in pieces. But cutting or boring out the old ones would be a job too!
That's what they did to mine works like a charm

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah, kinda like brakes on a trailer, who needs them, why waist money on maintenance.

First of all it's *waste*.

Talking out your a$$ again, don't have a single clue how pins and bushings work. On a older machine that doesn't see a lot of hours that is perfectly fine and will last a long time, and it's not at a risk of a complete failure or anything like that. Unless it's being used be an idiot operator shock loading it then it'll crack the bushing in no time.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

That's a good option.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
First of all it's *waste*.

Talking out your a$$ again, don't have a single clue how pins and bushings work. On a older machine that doesn't see a lot of hours that is perfectly fine and will last a long time, and it's not at a risk of a complete failure or anything like that. Unless it's being used be an idiot operator shock loading it then it'll crack the bushing in no time.
Pretty common theme in all your posts. Take the short cut, do the least possible, it will fix itself later.

Preventative maintenance and proactive repairs will always pay off.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pretty common theme in all your posts. Take the short cut, do the least possible, it will fix itself later.

Might want to stick to driving that truck, because you don't know your head from your a$$ when it comes to equipment repairs.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is it OK to add a little water to the fuel, it's so expensive these days

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Don't forget to hold a "Holier than Absolute Fawk" attitude while preaching to the unwashed masses. Yeah we get it Cyle, you know everything and none of us know anything. 🙄

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My S185 was the same.
Under $1000 and they did the same thing.
Works awesome and way cheaper than a whole new attachment plate.
Yep. Had mine back for a couple weeks. Rebuild the tilt cylinders, touched up all the paint on the lower arms, and shimmed the bobtach so there is no side slop. It’s all back together and will last me for a long time!

kimrick

RIP Fellow Sledder
Reaction score
Yep. Had mine back for a couple weeks. Rebuild the tilt cylinders, touched up all the paint on the lower arms, and shimmed the bobtach so there is no side slop. It’s all back together and will last me for a long time!
Also shimmed to remove side play.
So much nicer to work with.
I love the ole S185 machine.
Very reliable and easy to work on.

Top Bottom