Big Iron Shootout Avalanche @ Turbo March 13,2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

99summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Re: Big Iron Slide @ Turbo March 13,2010

Stunning Video.

"Not sure what else to add, but I'm glad to see many of the familiar names checking in safe at this point.
Best of luck to the families, friends, rescue teams & everyone involved."

My thoughts exactly, keep checking in everyone, still looking for a few familiar avatars.

Last edited by a moderator:

2003Summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I have been watching this thread and the news closely on this event. There is one important fact that I have heard over and over in avalanche training and has not been talked about in the media and I wish it would be:

Most avalanche survivors are rescued by the people that are with them! By the time help arrives it is usually already too late.

Anyone with avalanche training knows this and can guess how most people were rescued from the immediate threat of the avalanche and that it was back country sledders that did it. To put it more plainly, while I was not there and I can't speak for what actually went on, it's important to realize that most of the 30-50 or so people that were buried in the avalanche were rescued alive likely only by the other snowmobilers that were attending the event or very near the same area.

Arguments "like should or should not have been there" aside: This speaks allot to the general preparedness of the snowmobilers that were present on site. And I think that should be talked about more than it is.
The CAC member that was telephone interviewed by CTV had said "it's important to remember 1000's of people snowmobile in the area every weekend and do so safely" when the interviewer was asking him about the risks of snowmobiling and whether anyone should have even been there.

Yes this is an inherently dangerous activity, but for the most part it is done safely, the risk is managed and a lot of people are prepared for the dangers and equipped and able to respond, as they probably were and did in this situation. It was the people that were already there that did most of the initial life saving.

on a final note:
RIP those that did not make it. And lots of support to the friends and family of everyone associated with this and especially to those that were on scene. :)

BombardierBratz

Reaction score

First off, my condolences to everyone on the mountain and their families. Every year we hear of avy tradegies. I do not snowmobile, however when I can afford one, I imagine I would be out there as well. My thoughts flow towards prevention. Being a newbie, what can be done to facilitate a safe outing during an event like this? Is it possible to detonate charges to cause a controlled avalanche a day before? I understand explosives aren't free, so an admission to the event would be a good way to counteract cost. It's obvious by the numbers in attendance that this sport is growing, therefore one can speculate that maybe corporate (factory) sponsorships, POSITIVE media attendance, passive seismic location detection, and search and rescue personelle could be a base minimum for such an event to occur? We need to dump a whole lot of cash at this problem, for the betterment of the sport. Other activities have done so in the past, I'm just asking "Why not this one"? The organizers of this even no doubt put alot of time and effort into this such as it was, but could there be more done, and maybe a profit generated in some way to have fulltime organization for a yearly event? Lets be realistic, sleds are not going away. We can as a group ensure the safety of our bretheren who do attend. I am in no way intending to step on thoes families involved in this situation, nor am I pointing fingers. I just want to see change for the better, and what better way than in a forum full of passionate and intellegent people who know the sport hands dowm. Again, prayers to the victims and their families. I know when the time is right we can discuss this in open forum, together we can find a solution! I'm inviting experienced riders to help me fill in the blanks in my own head....please teach me something about this sport that I have an interest in... god bless

Last edited:
Reaction score

Very sad day,hope any still missing are found alive.
Thoughts and prayers with the families involved.
Thanks to search and rescue and and all sledders helping out.

H2SNOW

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

with the messed up year and the unusual snow coming down in the past few weeks, our group won't even think about climbing and highmarking , we ride in the trees where it is relatively safe, even where we were yesterday the snow was wumphing all around even on slight slopes.

one of the spots up here got over 100 cms of snow in the last week ...unstable is the word of the day .

be safe , try and make the best choices and lets all get back home to our families

RIP boys

H2SNOW

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

here was the warning issued:

"Danger Level: Extreme-Widespread natural or human triggered avalanches certain"

"Recommended Action: Travel in avalanche terrain should be avoided to low angle terrain, well away from avalanche path runouts"

Could it be any clearer?

I would love to get a pair of those funky hindsight 20/20s that you have there ;)

yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery and today is gift thats why they call it the present .....think before you speak

there will be alot of funerals in the following days ......

MtnMaster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anywhere the snow is deep, and the hills are steep

I have been watching this thread and the news closely on this event. There is one important fact that I have heard over and over in avalanche training and has not been talked about in the media and I wish it would be:

Most avalanche survivors are rescued by the people that are with them! By the time help arrives it is usually already too late.

Anyone with avalanche training knows this and can guess how most people were rescued from the immediate threat of the avalanche and that it was back country sledders that did it. To put it more plainly, while I was not there and I can't speak for what actually went on, it's important to realize that most of the 30-50 or so people that were buried in the avalanche were rescued alive likely only by the other snowmobilers that were attending the event or very near the same area.

Arguments "like should or should not have been there" aside: This speaks allot to the general preparedness of the snowmobilers that were present on site. And I think that should be talked about more than it is.
The CAC member that was telephone interviewed by CTV had said "it's important to remember 1000's of people snowmobile in the area every weekend and do so safely" when the interviewer was asking him about the risks of snowmobiling and whether anyone should have even been there.

Yes this is an inherently dangerous activity, but for the most part it is done safely, the risk is managed and a lot of people are prepared for the dangers and equipped and able to respond, as they probably were and did in this situation. It was the people that were already there that did most of the initial life saving.

on a final note:
RIP those that did not make it. And lots of support to the friends and family of everyone associated with this and especially to those that were on scene. :)

Bang on!
This could have been a whole lot worse if it wasn't for the people on the scene at the time to rescue the ones that they could. See that huge probe line that was being conducted on those videos, I bet only maybe a couple of those people were flown in. The rest were the sledders on scene that were prepared for a tragedy like this. I think the news (and probably Mike Wiegele) will have a hayday with this, when the reality is I'm sure 99% of the people there were prepared and ready for something like this.
The tragedy came in one small lapse of judgement, which I'm sure was just brought on by "pack mentality" which was sitting in the run out zone. I'm sure the majority of those people would never have been sitting at the bottom if it was just their group out there riding alone.

Condolences to all the friends and families affected, and a huge thanks to all those that helped with the rescue effort

rugbynitro

Reaction score

Finally some brighter news!! No missing persons reports in to the RCMP. That doesn't mean that there aren't any more victims but it's a positive development.

My condolences to the late sledder families, kudos to the rescuers keeping there cool and searching quickly. AP.

Updated: Sun Mar. 14 2010 15:08:52

ctvbc.ca

Mounties in Revelstoke, B.C., say they have received no missing persons reports in the aftermath of yesterday's fatal avalanche, and that officers have finished accounting for all registered hotel guests.

The avalanche struck Boulder Mountain at around 3:30 p.m. Saturday when about 200 snowmobilers and spectators were gathered for the Big Iron Shootout, an annual informal event.

Two males were killed in the slide and 30 people were injured. Most of the injured -- 19 -- have been released from hospital. One person remains in critical condition, and three other patients are in serious condition. Those four were transferred to larger hospitals because of the severity of their injuries.

Cpl. Dan Moskaluk said a handful of officers spent Sunday morning knocking on 40 hotel room doors to confirm guest lists and determine how many people were still missing.

"We're confident in saying that we have accounted for all the persons on these varieties of lists that we did accumulate," Moskaluk said.

There could be additional people trapped that were not included on the guest lists, Moskaluk added, and search efforts will continue.

Witness Ervin McKeen said he saw the avalanche "break off at the top of the mountain."

"It just gathered steam as it broke," he told CTV News Channel Sunday afternoon.

He was between 200 and 300 metres from the avalanche, and saw the snow bury a few people at the top before the dust generated by the avalanche clouded his vision.

McKeen and his party went to help search for people buried in the snow. He said most of those on the mountain seemed prepared for the possibility of an avalanche and had the proper safety equipment.

"Every time you go snowmobiling, you're in danger of avalanches all the time. Sometimes a little higher than others, but it's a risk you take," he said.

Adam Burke, 20, decided not to attend the event because of snow conditions on the mountain.

"Today it was high risk and just the other day it was extreme," he said Saturday.

"I told everyone to shut the mountain down...Just how I've been riding and I've noticed a lot of slab avalanches and I've caused a lot of little stuff over the season and it's just progressively gotten worse.

"I told my mom to shut it down and don't have anything to do with this event because it's going to kick you in the ass."

RCMP initially deployed four provincial search and rescue teams. The search operation was called off after dark fell Saturday.

Helicopter crews flew over the mountain Sunday morning to determine safety levels for ground searchers before the rescue effort resumed.

The Canadian Avalanche Centre had warned of a high avalanche risk Saturday, after a storm dumped new snow on the North and South Columbia regions of B.C.'s interior on Thursday and Friday, forecaster Greg Johnson told News Channel Sunday.

The centre continues to warn of a "considerable" risk of avalanche in the South Columbia region until at least Tuesday.

With files from The Canadian Press

Transporter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I think everyone in the sport is truly sadened by this horrific incident. The size of this Avy and the injuries and casualties that have came through so far. with the sheer numbers that were at this, sounds to me that everyone came through in a big way and must have reacted well. Maybe instead of blaming everyone for this event, they should be praising everyone for there efforts and reaction to this incident.....

For anyone who knows anything about Boulder.... There is usually 20 to 50 guys a day on the weekend that play on or around this area. Even if this event was cancelled, there still would have been individuals riding Turbo that day, with people below watching. Cancelling the event would not have prevented this from happening.....

That is right the media is making it out that the only reason people were there was for this event they dont realize people ride there every day all winter long. Listening to the radio on our way home from Boulder today makes me furious they werent there we were. Get your facts straight. The people arent all extreme snowmobilers and stunt riders as I heard. This was a tragic event and mother nature had most to do with it.

ripitup

Reaction score

This is my first post here, I am a regular on BCR and LR. I signed in because I wanted to jump down the throat of people asking stupid questions and obviously fishing for media.....however I will refrain....and simpy offer my thoughts and prayers to those involved and affected by this heartbreaking accident. Though many of us are not there in person to assist please know we send our hearts and strength to will you thru this.

We all know the risks involved with our sport, and its something those who do not love sledding will never understand.........and we must stay strong and unified in the onslaught we know is coming.

Peace be with those in need.........

scottsco

Reaction score

skidooTrish here,
Scott, Nelson and friends are on the way back from Sicamous and I couldn't remember my password so I hijacked Scott's (since he listed MY email for password reset)
Feeling so sad to be sitting here again, I'm feeling sad for sledding friends lost last year and hurting for those of you awaiting word.... my prayers are with you and my condolences

SLY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

My thoughts, prayers and condolences go out to everyone affected by this tragedy.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca

moderators; do you think it might be prudent to remove (temporarily) krazycanadian's last post lest some media beat us to death with our own photo's? ? ? Or am i just a little sensitive right now? ?

https://www.snowandmud.com/forum/f14/gonna-climb-some-chutes-28638.html

we will just leave it for now...... Dan isn't one to take chances in avy conditions..........he would only attempt some of those in well set-up conditions. Rknight111 is here and agrees

H2SNOW

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Moderators; Do you think it might be prudent to remove (temporarily) KrazyCanadian's last post lest some media beat us to death with our own photo's? ? ? Or am I just a little sensitive right now? ?

https://www.snowandmud.com/forum/f14/gonna-climb-some-chutes-28638.html

I personaly say no

Anyone want to come??? Gonna try some of the nastiest chutes in the Kootenays this spring, not sure of the dates yet.. Weather permitting and avi danger willing.. here's the top 20 nasty chutes list...

Davidoff has already posted his disclaimer here ^^^^^^

I don't think that we should all go hide some where and pretend that we don't take calculated risks everytime that we head out .

Last edited:

Mikew5j

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom