Big Iron Shootout Avalanche @ Turbo March 13,2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

moto.racerx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Re: Big Iron Slide @ Turbo March 13,2010

Steve Langevin, 38, said he thought the crowd was safe from the people he called "those crazy guys" because they were what seemed like kilometres away, but the wave of snow was so massive it easily reached them.

His friend, Pierre Beaudoin, 48, said the accident could have been prevented if people hadn't been high-marking.

"We were watching, a whole bunch of people were parking there and then they were watching the high-mark. That's why everybody was stopped there."

He said it was irresponsible for them to high-mark in those conditions, especially with a number of them going up at the same time.

"The minute one makes it to the top, oh, the next guy, I could do it, and then it becomes stupid. And it was stupid, they were starting to come from the side, one's coming down and one's going up."

"Then everything started going crazy."

Another survivor, from Fort St. John, in northern B.C., described a "big white wall of snow" coming down on his group of about 20 to 30 snowmobilers on the mountain in the Monashee Mountains, which are part of the Columbia Mountain range.

The man, who did not want to give his name, said they saw the slide coming and had only a few seconds to react.

He dove behind his snowmobile, and ended up partially buried. Members of his group dug him out.

Ervin McKeen, 62, from Nanton, Alta., was nearby when the avalanche occurred and he said there were about 150 people in the area where the snow came down.

Grizzly Adams

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Did anyone dig a test pit ?

Lets save the amateur speculation till all the facts are discerned! The appropriate people are in control of the release of factual information. I for 1 respect the proper release of factual info. from the authorities. Please let's not speculate or add gas to an already lit flame. Thanks Grizzz

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Lets save the amateur speculation till all the facts are discerned! The appropriate people are in control of the release of factual information. I for 1 respect the proper release of factual info. from the authorities. Please let's not speculate or add gas to an already lit flame. Thanks Grizzz
Well said

gusto

Reaction score

I refrained from posting anything, until I heard that every one of my friends and aquaintances were off the hill and safe. Rebec has an injured leg, and both sleds still on the hill, but he is otherwise okay. RIP to the fallen, and many thanks to the S&R teams out there for doing what they do.

Im with you there Troy....RIP

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca

Cbc news channel mentioned online forums being very busy today........ They mentioned only snowandmud.com and quoted from several users on this site............ Careful what is being said, as rumours cannot be started on this serious matter. Please use discretion.

My heart goes out to family and friends of victims, injured and the missing................. :(

MtnDoo2

Reaction score

Stunning Video.

Not sure what else to add, but I'm glad to see many of the familiar names checking in safe at this point. Stunning event that will surely change the thinking for many in the snowmobiling community.

We lost a rider (local) at Marshall Pass (Colorado) on Friday - a rescue team member no less. I ran into one of the riders involved by accident at a local McDonalds that night - it's tough when you want to offer condolences, but ya know that words can't really offer much solace.

Best of luck to the families, friends, rescue teams & everyone involved.

Regards,

MtnDoo

moto.racerx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Mayor Raven

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcsWK2woW_o[/media]

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

good thing this event wasnt attemded as heavily as it was in recent years

condolences to all those affected by this

bubba700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I sorta laughed when I watched one of their news clips..... midway through it the riding footage they showed wasn't even from Canada. A little clip (Ervin Mckeen one) was from Utah ( Phatty Dyer at 2:07) and the other was from California ( Jacob Moren of Team Summits-Yellow XP rolling). Just goes to show how desperate they are for anything to show to the public.

Keep everyone in your prayers. Its time to band together as sledders, support those that need it. There will be plenty of time to analyze and learn from this tragedy in the future.

qvperformance

Reaction score

Our thoughts and condolences go out to all those involved and their families as well.

A very tragic situation!

moto.racerx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

different actual footage here clip 276248

clip 276263;

clip 276265;

Clip 276271

clip 276281

Clip 276282;

moto.racerx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

they quote the message board of sledshot.com

Game ON Ya'll

no title no title

At this point we are under a "Heavy Snowfall Warning" here in Golden, and Rogers Pass is always a game ender. Lets keep our fingers crossed that it'll all work out.
Now kink number two, and the obvious kink to us mountain folk is the insanely high avalanche danger that is going to play a HUGE factor this weekend. When everything is coming down naturally, you think pinning it up a chute is a good idea? I hope we get some avalanche control under way! Luckily some of the chutes have a cornice on top to drop into the chute to clean it out. Not sure what is going to happen on the ones that don't...
I was involved in one of the closest incidents I've ever been associated with last week with three experience mountain riders. We're going to have to be careful!!
Something we all need to keep in mind is that most of the crowd tends to develop in the run out zones of these avy paths. Keep your distance and watch from a nice safe platform!!
That's it for now, we'll keep you posted as the weekend continues!
Check out the video from 2009 HERE!

MtnDoo2

Reaction score

Good to see the whole quote.
Pretty level headed post I think.

Seemed like the media used it out of context to slam sledders IMO.

MD.

flow2go

Reaction score

Want to give a BIG thank you to all the people involved in being a part of the rescue efforts. It is a horrible tragedy that will hopefully never repeat itself. My thoughts and prayers go out to the families and friends that will need much support to get through this.

For those needing to point fingers; start with yourself. Are you calculating all the risks that are taken in your own life? Sledding in the backcountry is a risk versus reward endeavor. And for most, the rewards far outweigh the risks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom