Big Iron Shootout Avalanche @ Turbo March 13,2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Re: Big Iron Slide @ Turbo March 13,2010

just watched the rcmp's statement. 2 deaths multiple injuries, and one in critical condition. A high percentage of riders have be confirmed safe from the 200 some riders but still many rooms to go through.

sounds like the deaths and hurt riders were from sleds hitting them and people were buried knee to waist deep.

I watched a north america wide news topic last year being that i was a part of the association involved but not directly involved.....all i can say is dont believe everything you hear unless its straight from the RCMP. The media will print anything to get a story first.......they could talk to one - two people and hear a story that has not alot of fact at all and they will print it.

outlaw454

Reaction score

I was just saying what needed to be said, it makes me angry that people can be SO small minded!!!
No one can blame anyone for their actions only there own actions!!
again my sincere condolences, to all
And to all that help in this time of disater, YOU are my hereos!!!

Pinner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

The media is makin a mess of this.

Exellent job on everybodys part on scene.

As for the BS about enviro damage .

Where are you getting all this? I've been watching 3 channels and haven't seen/heard anything really negative. ????

bobber

Reaction score

Wow! It is sure classy of everyone to play a game of 'I told you so'. Talking on your cell phone while driving, working on construction or being a farmer, j-walking, jogging at night, or even being a manager of a dealership, for that matter, comes with some form of calculated risk. Every decision we make is just that, a decision we make. This may make people more aware of the dangers of snowmobiling, but it is definitely not the time for anyone to worry about who will be 'paying for the cost of the rescue effort' (as posted by some ignorant jerk on the CBC site). I would be more concerned with the ridiculous dollars spent over deciding whether to change our national anthem. Everyone knew New Orleans was below sea level, but everyone helped with the rescue efforts there. There is a difference between campaigning and preaching. If you want to raise awareness, be thoughtful of the statements you make and when you make them!
Have some respect for the victims. Our thoughts are with the rescuers and the families of the victims.

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I think this thread should be closed or locked until the next of kin are notified.

Other than the news, and the speculation from the news what are the police saying about the death toll? I heard two not three or greater. There's too much gossip and no good information coming forward here.

i just watched the RCMP repost and as of this morning at 8am there is TWO reported deaths! TWO.

bbtoys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I think this thread should be closed or locked until the next of kin are notified.

Other than the news, and the speculation from the news what are the police saying about the death toll? I heard two not three or greater. There's too much gossip and no good information coming forward here.

this will get locked if one person reports a name of someone that did not make it.

girlluvshockey

Reaction score

As someone involved in an incident last year I would just like to say that I agree with those who are urging all of us to keep our thoughts and opinions of the situation to ourselves. This is very tragic and I know lots of us have something to say, but judgments and opinions of lessons learned do nobody any good at this time. You do not know the faces behind all who post on here or what they specifically are going through. When I was faced with a tragic situation all of these thoughts went through my mind and I was only fueled with anger when I read comments posted on here that were untrue or untrue comments in the media.

Please be respectful of the families and friends involved in this situation. You may or may not know them, may or may not know that they are reading every word you write, and may or may not know the vulnerable and emotional position they are in.

condolences to all involved

dwillowguy

Reaction score

People PLEASE DO NOT POST ANY NAMES of any people that were involved in the slide...Have some respect for our fallen brothers and sisters and their families.

fat tire

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

this will get locked if one person reports a name of someone that did not make it.
I agree..... not to mention to remind everyone not to fuel the fire with gossip...... and have some respect for the people involved no matter the end result. please and thank you.

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

People PLEASE DO NOT POST ANY NAMES of any people that were involved in the slide...Have some respect for our fallen brothers and sisters and their families.

yes absolutely NO names, but any truthful updates will be greatly appreciated!

Zig Zag

Reaction score

Here is what CBC has

Avalanche kills 3 at B.C. snowmobile event
Last Updated: Saturday, March 13, 2010 | 10:52 PM PT Comments181Recommend187.
CBC News
Three people are confirmed dead and two others are in critical condition after an avalanche struck an annual snowmobiling event in southeastern British Columbia on Saturday.

Seven more people are listed in serious condition at hospital, Chris Harbord of the BC Ambulance Service told CBC News.

It is not clear whether more people may be missing. Rescuers were still scouring remote Boulder Mountain, near Revelstoke, early Sunday morning, the RCMP said.

Revelstoke, B.C.

View Larger Map
Hundreds of people watching and participating in the Big Iron Shootout, an annual snowmobiling event, were caught in the slide.

Reports indicate the avalanche struck at about 3 p.m. local time.

"The area has been shut down to keep people out," said Cpl. Dan Moskaluk. "They're going to continue on here with trying to remove people off the mountain in the area and tomorrow reassess where we're at."

The mountain was shut down as search-and-rescue helicopters and avalanche dogs worked to recover the injured.

"I know that the RCMP are up there with a number of their members doing searches and that they've got dog units … and the local search and rescue group," Revelstoke Mayor David Raven said shortly after the tragedy occurred. "We also have the ski patrol from Revelstoke Mountain Resorts available and going up."

He said the provincial government has already reached out to offer its support.

"I have been contacted by Kash Heed, the solicitor general, and the province is fully behind all of our efforts and we appreciate all of the help we have now, and it's another trying event for Revelstoke."

Event 'a problem for years'
Raven said he wasn't sure how many people were in the area at the time of the slide, but he did say the Big Iron Shootout is an unsanctioned event "that's been a problem for years."

Kathy Berlingette, owner of Smokey Bear Campground Resort in the area, said the event was in a remote place and everyone involved had to use their snowmobiles to get there.

She said the slide actually occurred on Turbo Mountain, beside Boulder Mountain, and said witnesses told her there were three dead. RCMP were able to confirm only one fatality.

"The audience was below this large mountain. There's a whole group of people watching the snowmobiles go up the hill and an avalanche broke through," said Berlingette, who wasn't there but had guests who took part.

According to the Canadian Avalanche Centre, there have been 10 avalanches in the area since Friday, when the CAC issued an extreme avalanche warning for the area. It advised people to stay away from any defined avalanche terrain and steep slopes.

On Feb. 15, an Alberta man was killed in an avalanche while snowmobiling on Eagle Mountain near Revelstoke. Another Alberta man died in an avalanche while skiing near Rossland, B.C., in early January.

Revelstoke is approximately 300 kilometres west of Calgary, and about 400 kilometres northeast of Vancouver.

Read more:

bbtoys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

yes absolutely NO names, but any truthful updates will be greatly appreciated!

you will not get the true numbers until SAR is done at the end of today or tomorrow, unless it gets wraped up earlier.

teamgreen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Deepest condolences to all involved. There really are no words to express the sadness we all feel about this tragic event.

Zig Zag

Reaction score

2 Not 3 deceased
3 to 4 in critical condition

SKIROULE

Reaction score

CBC News Now (Shaw 15). Has rolling updates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom