Best mountain sled for under $4500

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
theres an understatement...

Understatement of the year! The dragons will live up to there name, you will be dragon it back to the truck!

If I had 4500-5000 to spend on a sled it would be an m7 or m8 even a m1000 they are good sleds. The 900 cat I would stay away from good sled but parts are really hard to find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rightsideup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It is very important no matter what sled you choose to understand if it has had warranty update s down what we're it's initial issue's, has there been aftermarket fixes that work with those issues.

stormtrooper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Another vote for m8. 09 or newer. Stay away from mech reverse diamond drive of the 08 and older if you can. They held a nice side hill and reliable. Just not the best in super deep snow.

fj40

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Find a M8 or m7 that has not been through the meat grinder
When you say you $4500 do you have extra $ left over,because any used sled can need cash put into it when you get it home.

MitchellFried

Reaction score
Thank you guys for all your recommendations. I'll be on the lookout for a reasonable priced 09 M8. Anything in particular to look for on them?

MitchellFried

Reaction score
Find a M8 or m7 that has not been through the meat grinder
When you say you $4500 do you have extra $ left over,because any used sled can need cash put into it when you get it home.

Yeah I'll have extra. I've never bought anything used that hasn't needed a little tlc

rightsideup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thank you guys for all your recommendations. I'll be on the lookout for a reasonable priced 09 M8. Anything in particular to look for on them?
I would not hesitate to talk to a artic cat dealer they will good advice if they want your business going forward

mallard d69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
biggest question is where will you be looking for a sled and how far are you willing to drive? being in armstrong your options are kind of limited unless your willing to drive... with the arctic cat m series you need to ask the seller if they have done the double bearing upgrade to the diamond drive if they have not you must do it asap if you buy the sled.

MitchellFried

Reaction score
biggest question is where will you be looking for a sled and how far are you willing to drive? being in armstrong your options are kind of limited unless your willing to drive... with the arctic cat m series you need to ask the seller if they have done the double bearing upgrade to the diamond drive if they have not you must do it asap if you buy the sled.

Basically anywhere within 6 hours of Armstrong I'd be willing to drive for the right sled

bkoz

Reaction score
OP, I was in your same position last year. Looking for a reliable mountain sled to get my foot in the door. I had a little higher budget and ended up with an '11 M8 SnoPro. I think it was a good choice.

As far as things to lookout for on the M series sleds:

- as it has been mentioned multiple times. confirm that the double row bearing upgrade has been done in the Diamond Drive. Your best bet is to pull the DD apart as soon as you get the sled home, confirm the bearing update is done and change the oil.
- the big old smoky 800 seems pretty hard on reeds. Ask the PO if they have ever been replaced. And sort of bogging while getting on the gas is probably being caused by bad reeds
- If the steering post is stock, budget for a stronger one. The stock steering posts are really easy to bend and break. Especially being a beginner and getting stuck all the time. Canadasledparts.com out of Enderby has some good chromoly options.
- Inspect the bikhead closely where the steering post bolts in. The bulkhead can crack in that area. Not a show stopper but it will require major parts removal and a good aluminum welder.

Last edited:

rightsideup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I believe shushap extreme has 2010 m8 for around 6 grand they are in salmon arm

rapptorracing

Reaction score
I am selling my 2010 M8, it's a bit more than what you're looking for at $5000. But it's worth it. Bearing, steering post and sides vented otherwise stock. I could even bring it to Golden with me on weekend of the 12th. Message me if you want the details. Cheers Dave

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On the XP's at what km do they usually need a rebuild at and what km is considered a "fair bit" for one?

All depends on the sled. I seen ones with 800km blow up and then seen the same year of sled go to 8500 km and still run good! I would say 3500km is average to lower km. If your able to check the crank run out before you buy. The cranks are the issue with those sleds.
Give the guy above a call with that m8 that's a good deal for 5g.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom