Best left-throttle????

TomKat72

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm not too sure if this is the correct place to post this question but I figure that many of you that have already modded your sleds may have some insight for me. Thanks in advance for your opinions!! Cheers!

What is the best left-handed throttle out there?
Likes & dislikes?
Costs?
Durability?

NosRX1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine put on a gold finger and it works great, and if I was going to put one on it would be that.:D

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
TomKat72, this is the correct place to put your questions.

I can't tell you what product to buy but I will give oyu my 2 cents worth. I've seen it first hand where the left hand thottle is grabbed by accident and damage follows. Make sure it is well out of the way so this doesn't happen to you. Lots of guys take them off becuase of this little error.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Yup, Seen It A Couple Of Times Happen, Where The Rider Went To Grab The Brake And Caught The Left Hand Throttle(took The Lock Clips Out So He Could Use The Left Hand Throttle) And Accelerated Into Another Sled(my 670xmod Still Has Some Scars/damage From Being Hit From Behind)...... Be Sure The Left Hand Throttle Has An Easy Lock Out, Or The Damage Can Get $pricey$ -- All For A Left Hand Throttle.............:d:d

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
Yup, Seen It A Couple Of Times Happen, Where The Rider Went To Grab The Brake And Caught The Left Hand Throttle(took The Lock Clips Out So He Could Use The Left Hand Throttle) And Accelerated Into Another Sled(my 670xmod Still Has Some Scars/damage From Being Hit From Behind)...... Be Sure The Left Hand Throttle Has An Easy Lock Out, Or The Damage Can Get $pricey$ -- All For A Left Hand Throttle.............:d:d

LeftyQ's from the outlaws has one on his outlander and the dealership was nice enough to load it on his trailer you can guess how this ended........bike rammed into the bake of his tailgate on his blazer breaking the window and doing thousands of dollars damage to the bike and the blazer.......they were cool about the whole thing and paid for it.
Oh and he has the gold finger also :D

TomKat72

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
TomKat72, this is the correct place to put your questions.

I can't tell you what product to buy but I will give oyu my 2 cents worth. I've seen it first hand where the left hand thottle is grabbed by accident and damage follows. Make sure it is well out of the way so this doesn't happen to you. Lots of guys take them off becuase of this little error.

I've heard of that happening :eek: I think I read somewhere that some of them have lock-outs or something like that. I even think there is one that only a cable that runs up by the grab-bar and I guess you're supposed to use your right hand to operate it. Not sure.

TomKat72

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
LeftyQ's from the outlaws has one on his outlander and the dealership was nice enough to load it on his trailer you can guess how this ended........bike rammed into the bake of his tailgate on his blazer breaking the window and doing thousands of dollars damage to the bike and the blazer.......they were cool about the whole thing and paid for it.
Oh and he has the gold finger also :D

OMG!! I bet he was pissed!:realmad:

Lost

RIP Fallen Angel
Reaction score
I would stay away from left throttle. I was riding with a friend and his stuck and he rode over the guy ahead of him this was not good at all. :nono: JMO

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Built my own out of some qaulity BMX parts and it worked perfect. While unloading at night after a trip to McBride I grabbed for the brake and came off my deck at full throttle!!! Snow flap went under my track with the track spinning and bent my tunnel at the snowflap mounts but this stopped the sled 2' short of my closed garage door. Oh yea,that addition to the sled was promptly removed.:eek:

snotterite

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pin on Goldfinger should be in lock-out everywhere except the deep mtns. Never trail ride or use it in staging areas. Once you get used to its a real plus , the older I get the more it also saves my back. Remember you need to riser the bars to the sweet spot for you. As with all aspects of T-boed sleds even more precaution should be observed. If you install try to make the brake lever slightly negative of level. Make the Goldfinger slightly greater than plumb.In a emergency you will almost always search out the brake. The Golfinger will not be in a automatic position , this is not a concern, as you want to train your mind and hands when you want left gas it is a very different movement. The only real problem is if your in the eject mode carefull with those knees.I know guys that have learned to use the Goldfinger as their primary throttle, this completely eliminates the confussion. You need brake you must release Goldfinger. Good Luck

TomKat72

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
:confused:Not really the response I expected. I guess I just figured that with these newer sled models that are more mountain specific I'd a thought that more people were using them. I'm sure that once a person gets used to them thay could be a real help when hanging off the left side. Unless I find one cheap, this mod just might have to sit on the back burner for a season or two.:sadbanana:

snotterite

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I see a Apex on your list of goodies . Slap a MCX azz mount on it, put on a goldfinger and your set. Nothing comes close

TomKat72

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Built my own out of some qaulity BMX parts and it worked perfect. While unloading at night after a trip to McBride I grabbed for the brake and came off my deck at full throttle!!! Snow flap went under my track with the track spinning and bent my tunnel at the snowflap mounts but this stopped the sled 2' short of my closed garage door. Oh yea,that addition to the sled was promptly removed.:eek:

That would sure make a person think twice about getting one. You sure got lucky there. That reminds me of the time I got bucked off by an errant mogul. I was chasing the sled down the trail when it finally decided to go off-course down into the trees. Yelled at it the whole way to STOP! I guess I thought that just might work, "survey says.......NO".:(

TomKat72

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I see a Apex on your list of goodies . Slap a MCX azz mount on it, put on a goldfinger and your set. Nothing comes close

That's part of the reason for buying it. Something I'll do a couple years down the road. I think I'm leaning more towards the supercharger. Even at idle your boosing at 1.5 times the barametric pressure. I might be wrong, but I feel that would suit my style a little better. I used to own a turbo'd V-max 4 years ago. What a rocket! It was great so long as you didn't have to get out of the throttle and need to come right back on it. These new turbos might not be so bad for lag but this one was. Have you been around any charged ones? I know they don't quite make the same hp on top as the turbos but I would think that they should be pretty instantanious response wise.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I liked the left hand throttle and had it on for about 4 trips and some riding at the farm, there was just no way to put a lockout on it. This was not the first high speed reverse ride and no matter how you position it on the bars you HAVE to get used to the close proximity of your brake and gas. Bought a Rev, took out stabilizer...doing just fine without a lefty and my garage door is safe!!!:D

TomKat72

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I liked the left hand throttle and had it on for about 4 trips and some riding at the farm, there was just no way to put a lockout on it. This was not the first high speed reverse ride and no matter how you position it on the bars you HAVE to get used to the close proximity of your brake and gas. Bought a Rev, took out stabilizer...doing just fine without a lefty and my garage door is safe!!!:D
I think I might have to wait untill there is a better mouse trap before I buy into it. I just think I heard my garage sigh with relief....lol.

NosRX1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The gold finger that my buddy put on does have the lock out on it, if you do decide to buy make sure it has one of these and is locked out until you feel the need to use it.

Top Bottom