Bent Pipe...?

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looks quite comical to be honest.

I hate to say it, but if it wasn't too expensive and nobody got hurt it's usually worth a good laugh =)

If your buddy can't fix the pipe well enough lemme know. There is a guy here in Calgary that does a pretty good fix. I know he has adapters for the 250/300's and maybe he's made it to the 105's. Uses compressed air and a torch. May need some minor welding too. Doesn't look pretty, but he does it for 60$ (maybe 80 because you aren't a member of the club). It can be taco'd pretty bad and come out in the stock shape. I've taken my flattened and bent pipe to him and it came back very good. Problem is first ride out and I always dent it again...

The problem with the 300/250's is they kink around the frame by the exhaust port.

Your motor will be fine. 2-strokes can take a beating. Minor dents are minor, but if it's big you shouldn't be honking on it and just limp back to the truck.

Lemme know how you make out.

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looks quite comical to be honest.

I hate to say it, but if it wasn't too expensive and nobody got hurt it's usually worth a good laugh =)

If your buddy can't fix the pipe well enough lemme know. There is a guy here in Calgary that does a pretty good fix. I know he has adapters for the 250/300's and maybe he's made it to the 105's. Uses compressed air and a torch. May need some minor welding too. Doesn't look pretty, but he does it for 60$ (maybe 80 because you aren't a member of the club). It can be taco'd pretty bad and come out in the stock shape. I've taken my flattened and bent pipe to him and it came back very good. Problem is first ride out and I always dent it again...

The problem with the 300/250's is they kink around the frame by the exhaust port.

Your motor will be fine. 2-strokes can take a beating. Minor dents are minor, but if it's big you shouldn't be honking on it and just limp back to the truck.

Lemme know how you make out.

My mechanic can no doubt fix dents and stuff, my BF is famous for getting fist-sized dents and he has no problem blowin those baby's out, but this is different..he says he hasn't seen a pipe this bent before, and for just a little minor accident, it did quite a bit of damage. I'll tell you something about my mechanic..he is very, very anal. He over analyzes everything, and everything has to be perfect otherwise its no good..the guy polishes his bike as soon as it gets the microbrial amount of dirt on it...i'm not kidding.. I've seen him whip out a container of polish while we are riding..BUT he's good at what he does, and I pay next to nothing to have a guy who worships dirtbikes and prays to the dirtbike gods every night before tucking his dirtbikes in every night..working on my bike..he ripped my bike down the bare frame and had the engine a part in 1.5 hrs, and had it running the next day.. the guy is freakin amazing but regardless, he told me that my bike is "unrideable" the way the pipe is cuz it will get too much back pressure in the engine and mess up the valves or some chit.. but ya ya ok like riding my bike for a couple hours until I get one is really gonna hurt it.. and your right, these 2 strokes can take a beating.. but my mechanic doesnt believe that any bike should be beat up... they are too precious in his eyes.:confused::rolleyes:

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hahah well, anyway he just called me says he's got the pipe fixed up good enough for now, so we'll see....maybe still get one anyway for "back-up"..

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My mechanic can no doubt fix dents and stuff, my BF is famous for getting fist-sized dents and he has no problem blowin those baby's out, but this is different..he says he hasn't seen a pipe this bent before, and for just a little minor accident, it did quite a bit of damage. I'll tell you something about my mechanic..he is very, very anal. He over analyzes everything, and everything has to be perfect otherwise its no good..the guy polishes his bike as soon as it gets the microbrial amount of dirt on it...i'm not kidding.. I've seen him whip out a container of polish while we are riding..BUT he's good at what he does, and I pay next to nothing to have a guy who worships dirtbikes and prays to the dirtbike gods every night before tucking his dirtbikes in every night..working on my bike..he ripped my bike down the bare frame and had the engine a part in 1.5 hrs, and had it running the next day.. the guy is freakin amazing but regardless, he told me that my bike is "unrideable" the way the pipe is cuz it will get too much back pressure in the engine and mess up the valves or some chit.. but ya ya ok like riding my bike for a couple hours until I get one is really gonna hurt it.. and your right, these 2 strokes can take a beating.. but my mechanic doesnt believe that any bike should be beat up... they are too precious in his eyes.:confused::rolleyes:

I understand this as I used to be something similar, however I learned that if you don't use it, you don't enjoy it. I used to wax my MTB frames.... =) MX guys keep their bikes all shiny because it's all about flash and show and they don't hit the ground very often. I have yet to see a clean bush bike who's fast. Sure there are a lot of guys who put a ton of money in to their bikes, but they are like that because of the money. To fully enjoy a bike, it'll get scratched, dented, and broke. At which point you have more fun because you don't worry about sliding it down a hill, or having to drop it. Not to mention I've seen people get hurt because they tried to prevent damage to their bikes.... :nono:

That being said, if they are saying its unridable, I'd follow what they say. It sounds like they know what their doing. See how they can fix it, and hope for the best. Other then that you'll be on the hook for a new/used pipe.

I'm not sure about FMF prices new, but I believe the price between a Gnarly and a Fatty would be minimal. Check their webpage, and worst case buy new from the states and save big bucks (as mentioned by GasCan, watch the shipping method). I buy from rockymountainatv.com often, however they changed their shipping policies, but just received a shipment last week without issue.

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well good news...I DONT need a new pipe..mechanic got it lookin almost as good as new.. just a few minor dents he didn't get out but its bent back into shape...

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hehe. A bit of that is true.

Good to hear though. Sucks when you are faced with big bills or delays at the beginning fo the season.

Still waiting for warmer weather to thaw the ground here. Not wanting to risk injury.

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah it was 25 degrees here yesterday... we went and rode KTM 13-44's track ...it was a fun day!

Taminator

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good to hear it's fixed up!
I don't know how many times I've had a buddies sled on top of my hood...or slammed against my bumper...or...or...or...that's one thing I've noticed when you start to ride hard, you start to get damage! LOL :rolleyes: And it's tough to know where everyone else is at all times when you're all tearing up an area! Kind of a no-fault situation usually.

I used to not want my sled rolled down a hill when it was stuck...now it's the only way to do it! :cool:

The Arborist

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't know how many times I've had a buddies sled on top of my hood...or slammed against my bumper...or...or...or...that's one thing I've noticed when you start to ride hard, you start to get damage! LOL :rolleyes: And it's tough to know where everyone else is at all times when you're all tearing up an area! Kind of a no-fault situation usually.

I used to not want my sled rolled down a hill when it was stuck...now it's the only way to do it! :cool:

You forgot to tell everyone the first step you take to get unstuck...move a safe distance away...then tell the boys how it should be done!:realmad: ;):rolleyes::p:d:d:cool:

Outlawkitten500

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
lol I got smoked by a quad.. I was coming up a hill and she was at the top rippin by and it was pretty much a head-on, it surprsing that the pipe is bent more then it is dented, but meh.. we'll get er fixed up.

I said I was was sorry dammit!! :aim_sorry: I guess that's what you get for messin with the outlaw ;) Just kiddin... I hope your bike is fine and we can wreck... I mean ride again!! :d

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I said I was was sorry dammit!! :aim_sorry: I guess that's what you get for messin with the outlaw ;) Just kiddin... I hope your bike is fine and we can wreck... I mean ride again!! :d

Haha, it's quite alright, accidents happen right! No one is to blame. It only cost me $100 to fix, but my mechanic just happened to find an extra FMF pipe & silencer laying around for his ex girlfriends kids ktm 85 which will fit mine, and he said he'd sell the whole set up for $225 so i'll probably take him up on that..that set up would normally be worth closer to $500 I imagine.

skinnybitch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Yup.....I've seen your bumper get bent up at least once........ and is there any other way to get the sled out when stuck on a hill?? LOL!! If you ain't wreckin' you ain't ridin'!! :eek: :p

Top Bottom