2014 Pro-RMK Issues

PEAK SEEKER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey folks, I've been having problems with my Pro; I just bought it back in December and have only had 1 of 3 trips go well with it.

This is going to be very lengthy and drag on, but bear with me here.

It's a 2014, with an RK-TEK 858 big bore w/ boondocker fuel controller and team tied secondary clutch.

The very first trip (two full days of riding) it ran well, but would hesitate slightly at 6900rpm only on the trail, but it would pull about 8200rpm all day after that no problem.

The only thing that changed between this trip and the second is that I put the spare belt into its holder, where it pushed up against where the wiring loom for the boondocker box was poorly routed (not by me).

Now the real issues started the second trip, when I unloaded it off of my sled deck and into our trailer, it barely had the power to do so and was bogging quite heavily. When we got to Golden it didn't even have the power to get itself out of the trailer. After pulling it out by hand and swapping the plugs it seemed to run fine. But about 2km down the trail the thing wouldn't push past 6900rpm, and if I held it WOT (wide open throttle) it would stay at that rpm and start bogging, unless I let off and let it run under 5000rpm or so for a bit, where it would smarten up and run smoothly back up to 6900 rpm. Now if I held it WOT it would bog to the point that it would foul the plugs and would hardly move, and would backfire continuously until the plugs were swapped and the whole process would repeat itself. Also the PTO side plug was fouling up, yet the Mag side plug stayed in decent shape. Eventually it brought up a code, that if I remember correctly said that the Mag side injector was shorting to ground.

So after getting it home, I brought it to Discovery Motorsports in Saskatoon after being told that they had lots of experience with boondocker boxes and the whole aftermarket world. All they did was unplug the boondocker and tell me it was the issue and then they read the code and tell me to fix it myself as they didn't want anything to do with it.

So I went through all of the boondocker box's connections with a fluke and made sure they were good, I found one suspect connection and righted it. I then rerouted the boondocker box's harness, and mounted the box on the hood, and removed the electric start, and installed a tether. I did a few test rips at home, but couldn't pull past 7000rpm for any length of time. But I figured maybe it had something to do with being clutched for a much higher altitude, so I figured it'd be best to test at altitude.

So now this gets us to this past weekend. We were in Fernie, the same place where the first trip I had on the sled a few months prior. I went to ride up the trail, thinking I had magically fixed all the issues. But as soon as I tried to get the sled up past the 6900-7000rpm mark, the exact same issues as before happened. So we packed it up and hauled it to Pincher Creek where I bought the sled and told them everything that was happening. Here's a list of what the mechanic determined:
  • The fuel controller isn't the issue, he tried multiple boxes with multiple tunes
  • The compression is good
  • The fuel pressure is good (How do they test the fuel pressure??)
  • The exhaust valves are good
So with what little time he had left on his Friday shift, he told me that his best educated guess is that either the injectors are having issues, or the Stator is going.

So he gave me a new set of injectors that we threw in the sled that same night in the trailer. With it up on a lift, it would pull up to 8100 rpm, but not all that smooth. So doing all that we could at that point we figured a test run on the mountain would be the best way to determine how much the new injectors helped. It smartened it up quite a bit, and it would pull 7900rpm (after yet another new set of plugs), however, if I held it WOT it would bog temporarily and drop RPM, then pull back up to 7900rpm, and throughout the rpm range it felt like it was lacking in power. Now according to RK-TEK, these engines should be able to pull 8500rpm when they're happy. So I knew the sled was still having issues.

So we got back home last night, and I tore into the sled this morning to look into some possible causes. First I did a test run to see what rpm I could pull, now it wouldn't get over 6900rpm, and had all the same issues as before. So I pulled the exhaust valves and cleaned them. And found that they had some scoring, is this normal? It doesn't seem like it'd help my issues at all. As well as the keeper washer and sliding washer thing under the bellow on both valves being scored from what looks like vise-grips. Also, the top of the pistons looked pitted, but had a rough film that could be easily scratched off. And the plugs looked like it was running a bit lean. I'll post pictures of all these things at the end.
IMG_4310.jpg IMG_4311.jpg
Both valves had scoring, but the Mag side valve was worse.
IMG_4312.jpg
Here is the scoring from pliers/vise-grips on the bellows keeper. Both valves had scoring like this.
IMG_4313.jpg IMG_4314.jpg
Here's what the plugs looked like this morning, slightly grey, so possibly too lean?
IMG_4315.jpg IMG_4318.jpg IMG_4319.jpg IMG_4321.jpg
These are the best pictures I could get with my phone. In the last one you can see how this porous film could be scratch/wiped off pretty easily with just a small led pen light.

So as of right now, here's my thoughts on what the issues could be:
  • Stator, it can't provide the voltage at the higher rpm
  • Voltage regulator, although this doesn't seem as likely
  • TPS, but I don't see why it would cause the engine to run lean
  • Primary clutch, broken spring, worn rollers etc. (sled only has 500km so that doesn't seem likely)

So tomorrow I'm going to have the dealer check out my TPS to get that knocked off the list, if that doesn't get me anywhere, then I'm going to order the stator and swap it out.

Does anybody have any ideas as to what else the issue could be? Or any experience with this kind of problem? I'm getting a little desperate, and quite frustrated with this sled.

On a side note, what does everybody run for adjustable clutch weights? What'd you pay, and why did you pick them?

Thanks for any input! - PEAK SEEKER

HotShotHarry

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That exhaust valve doesn't look good at all. were the bolts loose holding it in place?. It looks like it was not opening properly. This would explain the inability to pull higher rpms. Are he bellows ripped? What do the springs look like? IMO, your problem is the exhaust valve.

dragonweld28

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Based on your explanation and the pictures, I would bet the there is something wrong with your monoblock. Looks to me like the big bore job and installation wasnt done well. RKTek doesn't make a very good product to start off with. With how your plugs and pistons look I would say that your running very rich. Maybe some new fuel numbers for BD box would be helpful.. Your powervalves are supposed to open at 7000 rpm. It looks as tho sometimes they open and sometimes they don't. The scoring that your seeing would stop them from opening and then the bog would happen. If they aren't open, then you would be getting way to much fuel! I personally would get rid of that kit as everyone I know that tried it had nothing but problems.

Last edited:

powder junkie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya those valves shouldnt be scored like that. As for clutch weights, check out dalton qap3 or qap4 kits. Very easy to adjust, about $250 ish. Or bikeman goldstar kit. More tuneable and more weight range. About $290 ish

j.c.higgins

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've ran into a similar problem with my 2012 Pro, but it's not a big bore. It ran great on a Friday and Saturday developed a miss or bog above 6500. I'm thinking bad or gummed up solenoid for power valves or maybe bad plug caps and wires because I changed plugs and that helped but it seemed to settle back in to the miss or bog fairly quickly after. And I was seeing a fair bit of carbon build up between the cap and plug.

PEAK SEEKER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Aright, so what could be done about the sticking/scoring exhaust valves? And the bolts were all tight, and the bellows were in good condition and would stay sealed with a finger over the hole in the cover.

Last edited:

HotShotHarry

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What does the block look like where the valves were scraping against?

PEAK SEEKER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think it looked alright, but I'll have to take a better look when I pick it up tomorrow.

pistoncontracting

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There's a polaris guru that lives in Dunmore Ab, who also has extensive knowledge and direct experience with RK Tek stuff. He might be your best bet for help.
Goes by Rhodsie on here.

Sorry about your luck. I had thought long and hard about one of those big bore sleds they had for sale there.... glad I didn't give in.

PEAK SEEKER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So, I took my sled to Discovery Polaris and they called me back saying that either a rod was bent, or a bearing was going in the crank due to a slight knocking sound in the engine. I told them to take a hike, and went and picked my sled up. HOWEVER after loading it up and then going to unload it at home, there was definitely a distinct knock happening somewhere in deep in the engine. So I'm going to see what Pincher Creek can do for me, and if they'll give me some sort of warranty or a deal on the work I'll be taking it back to them (I've only put 200km on the sled since I bought it from them). And if they won't give me a deal, it'll be going to Rhodesie, he has very reasonable shop rate, and is eager to help me out.

Top Bottom