Beef pricing

2kDoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Where did the missing Somali meat packer go?

Not sure, but a year ago a welder on location said he worked there during the recession fixing ch!t
It is so bad in there the workers have to sign in/out the knives during their shift and no one is allowed to go home until they are accounted for lolol. The knives, not the workers you racist lol jk

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure, but a year ago a welder on location said he worked there during the recession fixing ch!t
It is so bad in there the workers have to sign in/out the knives during their shift and no one is allowed to go home until they are accounted for lolol. The knives, not the workers you racist lol jk
I wouldn't judge the plants to harshly on that account, surgical wards count their instruments too!

2kDoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't judge the plants to harshly on that account, surgical wards count their instruments too!
I agree but.....
so did the rig with toolboards, lasts all of 1 week haha

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well i have pretty good idea of how it works, and you arent paying 50$ a steak at the keg for one those 60cent cows...
Jeez man, your a real example of not judging a book by its cover, I've followed a lot of your posts here and never would have guessed you grew up on a cattle ranch! Congrats on breaking free!

Legend14

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree but.....
They jumped one of my coworkers at the Brooks liquor store with a 2x4 had nails on it he’s a big boy….did he ever lay a licking on them!

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree but.....
It likely has more to do with the workers not stabbing each other with company property taking away the plants liability than anything!

Ahhhhh just realized that's what you guys are talking about!

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Jeez man, your a real example of not judging a book by its cover, I've followed a lot of your posts here and never would have guessed you grew up on a cattle ranch! Congrats on breaking free!
Still have the farm, but thats not what pays the bills! Haha

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well if I ever see you in the parking lot I'll yell at you to watch that #23 and close that F$@king gate!! Just to remind you why you left! Lol
Haha sounds good. I still go chase cows once in a while.

tejay

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Upon further review of the play the cattle that went to the auction and sold at .60-70 were culls, bad hip, fence jumper etc. destined for hamburger .

ATV Rancher

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I forget how many carcasses are mixed in a batch of burger, and fat trimmings included. A lot for the big packers. From experience with custom slaughter, if the cull cows are fed some grain until they get some decent flesh on them......and mixed with fat trimmings if needed......they generally taste alright. Not like you're getting something better for run of the mill over the counter or boughten burgers. A lot of the culls go straight to the packers from the sale barns........and once again, many carcasses and fat trimmings in the mix.

If people could team up to buy a beef, if they are in a location where they have that option, and process it themselves, they could save a lot. I don't know how much importance everyone puts on aging a carcass, but I've wondered if a large freezer could be rigged to stay just above freezing for the time required to properly age a beef, as long as it was cooled out first, and could get a little air space around it. Contemplating how this would work: ref=sr_1_5

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I forget how many carcasses are mixed in a batch of burger, and fat trimmings included. A lot for the big packers. From experience with custom slaughter, if the cull cows are fed some grain until they get some decent flesh on them......and mixed with fat trimmings if needed......they generally taste alright. Not like you're getting something better for run of the mill over the counter or boughten burgers. A lot of the culls go straight to the packers from the sale barns........and once again, many carcasses and fat trimmings in the mix.

If people could team up to buy a beef, if they are in a location where they have that option, and process it themselves, they could save a lot. I don't know how much importance everyone puts on aging a carcass, but I've wondered if a large freezer could be rigged to stay just above freezing for the time required to properly age a beef, as long as it was cooled out first, and could get a little air space around it. Contemplating how this would work: ref=sr_1_5
I have a friend that processes his own beef and deer. He has a cutting table and hanging freezer but have never seen it in person

Legend14

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Half cow butchered and wrapped $1850
Guess I’d have to weigh it to figure out price per pound?

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Half cow butchered and wrapped $1850
Guess I’d have to weigh it to figure out price per pound?
It's decent. You could do better if you bought from a farmer direct and arranged the butchering. Live butcher steer at 1400lbs is worth 1.43 a lbs at current prices from what I could find, so that live steer is worth 2000. Killing and waste disposal is 2-300? Should dress out around 880 hanging weight at .80 lbs is around 700 for cut and wrap.

So best case scenario if you can get a farmer to sell you a live beef is having it in your freezer for around 3000. Farmer is making an extra couple hundred a side for arranging things so I'd say that's pretty fair. Not like the people around d here charging 6 bucks a lbs hanging weight plus cut and wrap! Would be $3000 for your side of beef here

kovs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's decent. You could do better if you bought from a farmer direct and arranged the butchering. Live butcher steer at 1400lbs is worth 1.43 a lbs at current prices from what I could find, so that live steer is worth 2000. Killing and waste disposal is 2-300? Should dress out around 880 hanging weight at .80 lbs is around 700 for cut and wrap.

So best case scenario if you can get a farmer to sell you a live beef is having it in your freezer for around 3000. Farmer is making an extra couple hundred a side for arranging things so I'd say that's pretty fair. Not like the people around d here charging 6 bucks a lbs hanging weight plus cut and wrap! Would be $3000 for your side of beef here

Ones that are destined to go to the market and ones that are fed for eating are 2 different things. Most cattle farmers sell the calves in fall- off they go, sure they keep some either as replacement stock or to age/ fatten up for eating. Grain finished animal makes a huge difference as well
$6 hanging plus cut and wrap isn’t bad at all in today’s day and age For good beef. Most are $1/lb for kill/cut depending on cuts and if any sausage or specialty stuff
Seems like your trying to be cheap when your already saving drastic amount over grocery store.

Top Bottom