Beef pricing

mikeydoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wife went to sask this summer to visit the family, We set up a full heifer to be processed down there and be ready to bring home at the end of the trip. Bought a used 9cf freezer off kijiji for 200.00 threw it in the back of the raptor with a 1200watt genny and presto had my own refer truck for the 1200km trip. Turned out the cow was 1000lbs hanging and filled it to the brim and had a bit in the cab in freezer bags. All said and done 3200.00, was the cousins kids 4h cow from last year and damn its tasty. Be a yearly thing from now on. Big purchase up front but so worth it.

mikeydoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Around edmonton its still easy. find any farmer he will sell you a steer or whatever. going rate is aroun 3.80- 4.20 per lb and most butchers are 1.10 per lb cut and wrap plus 100 kill disposal fee. I was using country quality meats in bon accord for the three previous cows that I bought locally before this one.

mikeydoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lots of farmers will sell a beef since they get dick all at the feed lots, If a full cow is too much get a buddy to go in or even 3. then it becomes affordable and you get to actually taste what a real beef tasted like that is 100% alberta. not imported into the feed lot from who knows where.

Last edited:

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For the meat you gotta be looking at 2 or 3 grand easy i would think.

A box of these wagyu steaks is 300$
My buddy just got a half beef (350lbs net) and it was around 2200-2300$ vacuum sealed.
As far as the reason for price being high a lot of it has to do with this years recent drought. Last year our feed barley did 120bu/ac and this year it did 25bu/ac.

tejay

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And input costs skyrocketing for next season also which will carry on the price increase with groceries.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

tejay

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
IMG_0537.jpg

IMG_0538.jpg

IMG_0539.jpg

IMG_0540.jpg

IMG_0541.jpg

IMG_0542.jpg

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Around edmonton its still easy. find any farmer he will sell you a steer or whatever. going rate is aroun 3.80- 4.20 per lb and most butchers are 1.10 per lb cut and wrap plus 100 kill disposal fee. I was using country quality meats in bon accord for the three previous cows that I bought locally before this one.
Lol let me know how many you want for $3.80 a pound live weight.

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My buddy just got a half beef (350lbs net) and it was around 2200-2300$ vacuum sealed.
As far as the reason for price being high a lot of it has to do with this years recent drought. Last year our feed barley did 120bu/ac and this year it did 25bu/ac.
In all reality it has very little to do with the drought or even the Feedlots, it's the packers, and retails that are making a fortune. D1 and 2 cows, which are your culls and older cattle of which alot will be ground into lower grade cuts and hamburger are trading in the .70-.80cent live weight range! It's a joke, beef producers are losing their ass!
We are primarily purebred breeders but do have open heifers or high birthweight yearling bulls butchered and sell off the farm, 6-7$ A pound will pretty much get you top quality cuts from any farm out there!

Last edited:

MP Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Gov creates so much red tape that local butchers are a rarity then allow 4 major packers to monopolize the market and bingo you have farmers making a $100 a head and packers making a $1000 a head.
Not sure about the rest of the province, but locally there are two packers. Cargill in High River and JBS in Brooks, both foreign ownership.
Thats the issue….have a look around and you will see so many things that were once held either by AB/Canadian corporations or crown corporations that have been sold off to foreign entities. Hell… there’s even examples of companies (Altalink) that have homegrown names, but owned by ruthless multinationals (Berkshire Hathaway - Warren Buffet) because they’re ripe for takeover, wear down a good company name and reputation.

SHREK1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have been buying 1/2 beef for the last few years, 3.50 lb plus the butcher, also using country quality meats in bon accord. Pretty happy. Tough getting the hamburger as lean as i like but not bad

Top Bottom