Beef pricing

crazy_wheeler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone looking for a cheaper option for meat my sister and brother-in-law just opened up a store near Wildwood. They sell Bison and elk and will do on farm slaughter where you can take it and get it processed. Look up Wild Ventures on Facebook if interestedView attachment 247108
View attachment 247109
View attachment 247110
View attachment 247111
View attachment 247112
View attachment 247113
The Velhouse’s? First name that comes to mind who raises elk & bison in that neck of the woods

Beels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My buddy just got a half beef (350lbs net) and it was around 2200-2300$ vacuum sealed.
As far as the reason for price being high a lot of it has to do with this years recent drought. Last year our feed barley did 120bu/ac and this year it did 25bu/ac.
Calves are exactly the same price as a year ago. The producer is getting screwed.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Went to keg last night. Baseball sirloin went up $5 since last time I ate there

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
buddy had the 20oz rib steak there with us last week $50, I had 10oz prime rib $46… he got way better beef for the buck.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Skip the Keg, it's not anywhere as good as it use to be. Go to Chop for prime rib it's way better. 14oz is $40. Pretty much go there every week.

Legend14

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Only on snow and mud can the Keg get thrown under the bus. Never had a bad meal there ever.
Only snopro can keep dissing S&M but keeps coming on here.

Yeah keg sucks now even before the medical tyranny

Lightningmike

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was excellent just expensive $250 6 drinks 2 apps 2 steaks.
Wow. Wife and I went to Keg in Sherwood Park about 7 years ago for anniversary. Had appys 4 drinks ,steaks and desserts. Was about 120 bucks. I thought we spent lots. Everything was really good.
I guarantee you my wage hasn't doubled in 7 years.

MK4TDI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Save on is the best place to shop if you don’t wear masks. Nice big clean store and my smiley face in there twice a week and not once have I been confronted or even looked at funny
I'm a bit surprised by that, Pattison owns that and his media team can't shut up about covid and getting shots and wearing masks. They are giving ol CBC a run for their money on it most days.

But good on ya for finding a store thT respects people's choices, I might have to try it here.

tejay

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cargill workers have voted 97% in favour of strike action at the meat processing plant in High River . Hang on to your hats we are soon to see how high beef prices can go. 40$ / kg. For stew meat?

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I find the beef thing so frustrating. Everyone making money but the farmer. The local farmers here are getting a little greedy here for my liking though. In my mind you should be able to buy a butcher weight animal for current prices, heck I don't even mind paying a bit of a premium. Saves the farmer transportation, auction fees, and shrink. Win win right? Frigging guys here figure their beef is worth 5.75 a lbs hanging weight plus cut and wrap! All of sudden a 2000 dollar animal is worth 4500

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What does the store charge for cut and wrapped meat?

Cant blame a farmer for wanting to make money.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What does the store charge for cut and wrapped meat?

Cant blame a farmer for wanting to make money.
That's completely different though. Basically you are paying a premium for the convenience of buying two steaks at a time....not an entire beef.

The farmer can either get 2000 minus trucking, auction fees, and shrinkage......or the full 2000 (or even a reasonable amount more) from a local. Like I said, it's win win. Buying from a grocery store and buying a full beef are two completely different things

tejay

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Family in Alberta got 60-70 cents a lb live weight at the auction a week ago . It’s not the farmers getting the extortion rates !!

Top Bottom