BC to approve Gateway if conditions met.........

Riverjet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wasn't it the principle of dirty oil, and the environment?

Nope, they just wanted more cash!

B.C. to approve Gateway pipeline if new conditions met

Sorry but that's not what was said. What was said was, if Enbridge agrees to the 5 bottom line things BC requires, then BC will "CONSIDER" the pipeline project. If you saw the tv news story and heard the words that came out of Christies mouth, you will agree the Calgary Herald has it wrong.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm from Alberta and don't think this Pipeline is a good idea, but the attitude from the BC government feels like a shakedown. Maybe the land locked provinces to the east should put a tarrif on all the products BC wants to send to market in the rest of Canada!!!

I can't believe you're comparing food and lumber going down an existing hiway to oil in a pipeline we have to tear up a bunch of prime wilderness to install! :nono:

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's the cops trying to get to the weed field.

Boy the pigs are dirty

sent from my htc

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good thing you guys don`t "tear up " any wilderness to get to the"lumber"...............................lmfao
It`s all about the CASH.................

Excellent example. I bet if WE did that to YOUR backyard you'd be pissed!

It may very well be about the cash for our government, but that's not what it's about for the people of this province. It's about the horrendous record on pipeline oil spills, the damage they cause, & the pristine wilderness that'll have to be dug up to install it.

I can't believe I even said that! I'm starting to sound like my own worst enemy.....friggin' leaf lickers!

Last edited:

lloydguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Some interesting things have been said for and against the whole deal,for sure.
As far as cash flow goes,Ab the last I checked sends out 20 BILLION annually to
the east and there they decide how to divide it up for the rest of the provinces.
Is that roughly speeking how it work's?If it is,then B.C is already getting a slice of
the pie.I think most would agree.
There is ,like others have said alot of cash pushing this thing forward.We should all
agree there too. It is a complex deal and there is ALOT of risk that is the extent of
my knowledge.
What price are we willing to pay for more economic growth,I duno.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the east and there they decide how to divide it up for the rest of the provinces.
Is that roughly speeking how it work's?If it is,then B.C is already getting a slice of
There is ,like others have said alot of cash pushing this thing forward.We should all
agree there too. It is a complex deal and there is ALOT of risk that is the extent of
my knowledge.

BC is considered a "have" province and also has to send its payments to the Feds to help the east maintain their pride.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
willie from what i see women putting on there faces everyday, you may be onto something.
icon10.gif

frock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my knowledge.

You're wrong there lloydguy. BC is not "getting a slice of the pie". We are right behind Alberta as far as contributing to that "fund for the east". So, no most would not agree at least looking from this side of the border.

The question here that nobody wants to answer is why should BC be expected to take such a huge environmental risk? I'm not talking about the pipeline, but the oil spill into the west coast that will screw up the fishery completely. Is Alberta going to foot the bill for the billions it will cost to try to clean up the mess as well as the loss of a food source or income for some that rely on the fishery. I'll bet that's a huge NO. We will be left holding that bag so I think that is where BC is coming from when the government says we want a larger share of the income generated from this pipeline.

There is a pipeline already delivering Alberta oil to a BC port, see Trans Mountain Pipeline. Some may argue that this is already a precedence. Not if you consider the difference in the level of risk to the marine environment. The passage into Kitimat is far more dangerous for these big ships to safely navigate than the port of Vancouver. This is why I believe that while we as a country need to help Alberta get its oil to another market because it's good for all of us, I don't think that the Northern Gateway is the way to go. I believe that the proposed twinning of the Trans Mountain into Vancouver is a far better and safer alternative.

lloydguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The more money Alberta generates,the more the rest of the country benefit's is all
I meant.Oil and it's byproducts are a risky product to transfer anywhere.The more
often it's done the higher the risk,the more sensative the surroundings are,the higher
the risk.The higher the volume being moved,the higher the risk.Add all of this together,
and your left with a ticking time bomb.
IMO.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you close the borders to export how do you think there would be any profit? It sure as hell won't be internal sales with your lack of refining capacity.
we actually have plenty of refineries when they are all running to capacity. over a million barrels per day capacity for upgrading bitumen and almost a half million barrels per day for further refinement into fuels etc.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we actually have plenty of refineries when they are all running to capacity. over a million barrels per day capacity for upgrading bitumen and almost a half million barrels per day for further refinement into fuels etc.
The upgraded product still needs to be further refined but yes to final usable product you have about 400,000 bb/d of refining capacity to final product but you producer over 1.6M bb/d.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Small oil leak discovered in Alberta - The Globe and Mail

And another one. A small one. ~8000 litres? I'm afraid a small leak in the oil companies eyes is plenty enough to destroy a small river.

There's a leak a month it seems, and those are just the ones reported.

The real irony is that some of these companies are trying their damndest to eliminate spills so that they have a better chance of getting approval to expand through BC and into the US but they still can't get their poop in a group.

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The real irony is that some of these companies are trying their damndest to eliminate spills so that they have a better chance of getting approval to expand through BC and into the US but they still can't get their poop in a group.

Quite. The line that got me most was;
“I’m amazed, to be honest with you, that this has made it to anybody. This is a very small leak. Not that it’s not important, but in the scheme of it there’s millions of barrels flowing out of Canada,” he said in an interview.

I wonder how many go unreported to the general public?

I agree the oil needs to go somewhere more stable (economy wise), I just am not full of confidence, and the more I read, the less confidence I can mustre up. I like clean waterways, there has to be a balance. Why can't we send this stuff through the port of Vancouver anyways?

Top Bottom