Axys Pro RMK

Ride Whistler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I rode the 155 Axys in January and I will say it is a night and day difference from the 2015 PRO. Almost as much as from the Dragon to the PRO. It is going to be the sled to beat in 2016...no joke. You will never ride the older model PRO again after riding the Axys.

Staple_STI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I stopped in at Mountain Toys to take a first hand look at the Axys at an the event they held last night. They have a standard color 155 2.6" that had some miles on it sitting on the floor.

Some little change I liked were intake vents now tilted down on the dash area, foot wells blocked better to keep snow out of the drive area, and overall fit and finish much cleaner than my Pro.

My only hesitation right now for snowcheck is the fact the they are likely designing a belt drive for the 3" track for 2017. The 3" sounded like a last minute push from polaris and the time wasnt there to figure out a belt system so they took a srep back and went chain for the release. I'd rather the 3" but don't want to go back to a chain after my last 3 years with the better power efficiency using a belt drive.

Anyone else have any input or thoughts on the 2017 3" having a belt??

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Buy the 2016 and put an aftermarket belt drive on it. Then you won't have to deal with Polaris's inability to manufacturer a reliable belt drive.

knocksum

Reaction score
Efficiency of a belt drive is probably more of a weight savings then anything. Put a torque wrench on the belt drive system and the chain case system. You would be surprised which turns easier. I think the chain case is a plus. No more busted belts when doing some drops or jumps.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Buy the 2016 and put an aftermarket belt drive on it. Then you won't have to deal with Polaris's inability to manufacturer a reliable belt drive.

The belt drives are not an issue or the belts since 14 but the tolerance of the shafts has gone to crap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The belt drives are not an issue or the belts since 14 but the tolerance of the shafts has gone to crap.

I fail to see a meaningful distinction. What I said is accurate. Three years of belt drive systems, three years of failures that are probably 10 times more frequent than chain case.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I fail to see a meaningful distinction. What I said is accurate. Three years of belt drive systems, three years of failures that are probably 10 times more frequent than chain case.

Whatever you say chief.

dabensmiller

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I put 2000km on this year and came down on a rope 3 times. All of which were due to belt drive failure. Can't wait to get a chaincase back.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Two belts broke and one bolt sheared off.

I have never seen someone break belts since the updates belt came out. Be interested to hear why you believe they broke.

The bolt issue is a bad drive shaft tolerance causing the pulley to wobble on the shaft. It's certainly an issue that they need to find a way of fixing because they obviously know about it. Luckily mine isn't bad.

It is the same design on the Axys. If they haven't found a way of confirming their quality control is up to par it will remain an issue next winter on the new sleds.

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 13 broke a bolt, without consequence, and the original belt went 2200 miles. I didn't really do a break-in on it either.

dabensmiller

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The first belt went at 1300km, Coming into a healthy sized jump and right on the take off it blew sending me and the sled 60'+ into a front flip. Thankfullly no major damage or injuries. The second one was 50 km later coming down the trail and she just came apart. I'm going to chalk up the first belt breaking to rider abuse and the second one to a faulty belt. Some people have great luck with the systems but not me apparently.

Staple_STI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have no worries with the belt, 2000 miles with the stock "weaker" belt still in tact. My main concern is to go away from the belt for 2016, and be robbed of throttle response from the chain for the 3". The 2016 has the stronger belt design, with a longer bolt as well for the top pulley, so some changes have been made to help with strength.

Would be nice if Polaris wasn't behind on their plans for the Axys, the mountain version should have been out in 2015 if the drive shaft and belt issues didn't take up so much extra time. Like I said before the 3" seems to be a last minute throw together, so who knows if the gearing is actually decent with the chain. Not much out there for ride reviews of the 3 vs 2.6... I don't care what Chris Brandt has to say as it will always be good reviews when you are paid. Need some locals with seat time to get a real review.

Looks as if majority are sticking with the belt and 2.6.. One day to make the final decision.

knocksum

Reaction score
2016 will be the year of the 3 inch. Don't be left behind regretting not getting the 3 inch.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Man i wish i could have snowchecked this year. grrrrrr.

Don't sweat it, we will be the guinea pigs this coming season and who knows, you may be glad you waited. Not that I expect huge problems but every first year sled needs refinements and maybe even upgrades that could fall into the following model year. And there will be 16's available at the end of the season with 3 years of bumper to bumper warranty remaining. Not a bad scenario for you.

Top Bottom