avelanche grear?

Snohog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just bought myself a new mountain sled and planning on going to the mountains for the first time. BUT before i do i'm planning on taking an avelanche course, getting a beacon shovel, and what else is a must to bring along? and were can i get some of the stuff with out spending an arm and a leg? 2nd hand maybe? but i want to make sure it works. i dont want my first ride to be my last...

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I need to find a 12 volt chainsaw! LOL

hand saw, good clothes, flash light (for around the head works great), AVI bag of some sort but not needed, radio/GPS,

snoqueen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just bought myself a new mountain sled and planning on going to the mountains for the first time. BUT before i do i'm planning on taking an avelanche course, getting a beacon shovel, and what else is a must to bring along? and were can i get some of the stuff with out spending an arm and a leg? 2nd hand maybe? but i want to make sure it works. i dont want my first ride to be my last...

Congrats on your new sled! Once you go to the mountains you'll be HOOKED!! Awesome choice to do the AST course first....:d

You can for sure get alot of the stuff second hand.....sledding gear, beacons and avy gear. Just make sure the beacon you buy isn't too old though, and preferably the 3 antenna type. An avy bag isn't a necessity, but nice to have. BCA makes the Float 30 for a reasonable price.....Check Ebay for probes, shovels and even beacons.

Good luck!!

NosRX1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the sport! Another thing that is not needed but is nice to have is a SPOT satellite tracker works great if you need help, or if you just want to let people know everything is ok....Happy sledding.:d

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I found that Mountain Equipment Co-op Quality Outdoor Gear, Equipment & Clothing - Mountain Equipment Co-op (MEC) had the best prices on avi gear and it's free shipping if you don't live near a store.

I'll say it again.....MEC, does not support motorized recreation and they actually provide support or lobby for land closures.

There are lots of places that are as cheap as MEC and check out the peeps that offer the avalanche courses......they have some great prices (Zac's, Hangfire, etc)

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Noone has mentioned a probe. You need one.

The big 3 are:
Beacon (Digital should be the way to go)
Shovel
Probe

These are the minimum you will need.

Little

Reaction score
Please stay away from MEC for reasons stated. They fund every org. negative to snowmobiles, and make no bones about it.

Can't recall his business name, but there is a fellow in Golden that has all the stuff. If you are new to this I suggest a Pulsar beacon as they seem to be the easiest to use.

600 bux gets a pretty good setup, with free updates to the beacon. Maybe take the course before buying anything, that's what wife did and she wouldn't go for anything but the Pulsar after the course.

I have a pieps dsp and they work great together, Mark

Edit, the guy I was thinking about has an ad on this site. Avalanche Safety Solutions. Golden.

Last edited:

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
Take the Avy course first, you will learn lots in the classroom and field course. If you don't have a beacon yet they will supply you with one. Find out from the experts what you need.

Orrin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'll say it again.....MEC, does not support motorized recreation and they actually provide support or lobby for land closures.

There are lots of places that are as cheap as MEC and check out the peeps that offer the avalanche courses......they have some great prices (Zac's, Hangfire, etc)

I wouldn't piss on an MEC store if it was on fire, they actively fund and work with groups to shut down land access to all forms of motorized offroad vehicles. People we need to boycott MEC not support them.

polar sledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Get a survival kit and first aid kit , and a tow rope
a hand chain saw,folds up real small and get a survival tarp red one side and silver the other , just my 2 cents

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fawk me...... $359 for the pieps dsp v6.2

sorry it's 349 at greatoutdoorsdepot.com but for the extra $10 buy local

Thats the cheapest your gonna find it.... including ebay...

$499 retail...

Fawk!

I just spent more than that, on that beacon.

Live and learn.

linzoid

Reaction score
These guys are right about MEC, I have bought from them in the past and found that if you mentioned you were a sledder they would not help you, they would just walk away. I did not know about them supporting closures to sledders though but now that I do the boycott's on!
I am a firm believer that if you are sledding in the mountains you should be prepared to spend the night or have a long walk out.
I bring: shovel, probe, beacon, avy pack,first aid, warmup (foil) blanket, flares, bear bangers, candles, waterproof matches, extra food & water, extra dry socks, dry gloves, dry fleece,extra dry thick belaclava with neck warmer, lightweight folding saw with a good swede saw blade(the ones in the shovels are generally crap), leatherman, length of good rope or recovery straps.
Invest in the best driest gear you can find, don't cheap out being warm and dry is great and can save your life and make the difference in having a good fun day opposed to freezing damp fingers and toes. You tend to spend your entire day outside in possibly snowing, sleeting and /or rainy weather.
It's no wonder i am beat at the end of the day carrying all this stuff, a lot of it in your pack in case you get separated from your sled. Hope this doesn't scare you off, have fun shopping!

soh

Reaction score
talk to glen at spindrift in mcbride he set me up with a bca float 30 and tracker 2, nice pack and beacon seems easy to use.

motomike450r

Reaction score
Good sledding buddies. Pick their brains also. Beacon first and foremost one you are competent using. Alot of guys will have a loaner shovel, probe and saw you can borrow while deciding exactly what you want to get. I would buy a shovel with a slightly smaller blade to fit in my packs pocket better next time.
And welcome to the sport...:beer::beer::beer:

Top Bottom