Avalanche video from yesterday near Golden

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thank you.

AWESOME observation.

Sledders take note.

Good info to what might be a stupid spring.

snoqueen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That thing is CRAZY huge. That fricken buried hoar frost layer from early February is coming back to bite big time. I hope everyone that sleds the backcountry watches this.....A BIG THANK YOU for posting this.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing. There are sections in that video that would be awesome for the likes of HangFire, ZacsTrac, and any or all of the avi course conductors.

Isn't it amazing how beautiful things (early morning hoar frost) can be so dangerous?

powderhoundbrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good video, the layer is going to around for a while. Take note turbo guys. Those avy paths are not a great place to show off your HP.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
that is killer!

looks like we haven't seen the last of this shheeet.

Treedragon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That was huge glad to see everything worked out for you guy's and everyone was safe. Hell i dont think a avy bag would saved anyone there. Let's not become complacent even if you have all the equipment and you feel prepared that may not be the case as seen on this video Thanks for the eye opener and let's all play safe. Dam horror frost

-lenny-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Great video. Seeing it from above and below, you really get a true idea of the magnitude of that slide. Definitely not survivable, even if you have an airbag.

Guest101

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That was huge glad to see everything worked out for you guy's and everyone was safe. Hell i dont think a avy bag would saved anyone there. Let's not become complacent even if you have all the equipment and you feel prepared that may not be the case as seen on this video Thanks for the eye opener and let's all play safe. Dam horror frost

I was not there just one of my friends from golden shared this yesterday thought everyone should see it.
Play safe out there!

Ministik Man

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
great video
Thanks for taking the time to assess the avy in the detail you did - awesome job
The fact you videoed at the top, at the fracture line, on the run out and in the debris field - shows everyone the power and destruction, without them actually being there - well done.

Glad it ripped before you got there and not when you did yout first big turn on the way down - someone is watching over you....

snoqueen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was not there just one of my friends from golden shared this yesterday thought everyone should see it.
Play safe out there!

Thanks again for posting! I saw the vid and some pics on the Hangfire Avalanche Training facebook page. Here are some pics of the slide and the crown face taken from their page. It is super scary. That avy is not survivable in any way. I hope peeps watch this vid to see the magnitude of how much damage can be caused by a slide. It is absolutely MIND BOGGLING. Big props to the guys that took the vid....this can be a great learning tool for avy courses.

Attachments

• OldManCreek.jpg
    OldManCreek.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 153
  • OldManCreek2.jpg
    OldManCreek2.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 153

Zacs

Supporting Vendors
Reaction score
Website
www.zacstracs.com
Play safe out there!

northpow - Thanks for posting! Thank your buddies for doing such a good job to get POV from top and bottom. It was a monster.
Good idea to sweep the debris for avy signals as well.
Hope you don't mind, I am sending out a newsletter to Zac's contact list with a link to your thread to highlight the destructive profile of the avalanche problem out there right now.
Did your buddies see any other activity out there? Similar size or shape?

spuds

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
these guys did an excellent job of sharing their knowledge and conveying the gravity of a dangerous situation. I commend them on being responsible for what they deemed as consequences of their actions and sweeping for potential victims plus sharing this video helps others to be aware and learn as I have
thankyou

Unklsnomobile

Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time to video and post. This area as well as many of the others had dropped from high to considerable avy rating. That can give a false sense of "safer conditions". Obviously the persistent weak layers are becoming a problem. Better play it safe out there. If you're not sure about a hill, just assume it will slide.

catinthehat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This video should be a must see for all backcountry enthusiasts. Kudos to the guys that took the time to show the different aspects of an avalanche and the correct ways to respond to one. Thanks.

Top Bottom