Av gas

chadwik74

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I run it in my race boat. Spend about $600 bucks on race weekends. I learned to shop around for pricing. This is what I found in my area...,,

Slave lake-$2.03
Whitecourt-$1.84
Westlock-$1.63

Westlock is handy because its available 24/7 Self serve with a CC up to $500 at a time. And it's the cheapest I found!

gotboost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Didn't know you ran av gas in you boat chad i thought 94 octane from petro can would be good enuff

chadwik74

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pretty much everyone in FX and CX runs AV. Looking for a fuel sponsor next year Colin.....:rolleyes:

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
didn't say it wasn't blended consistently...just that race gas is blended more consistently. This debate has been run over and over. The fuel that goes into the planes on the tarmac in Calgary and Edmonton, comes down the same pipe that feeds the storage depot in the SE corner of Calgary. One day the batch of av in the pipe might be following gasoline and the next day it might be following diesel and all that goes into the same tanks at the airport. The cut off is usually the same for the flow by and then turn the valve to the airport - its close, but probably not always going to be the same based on what was shipped. Same as what goes into the tanks at the storage depot. Av gas is still usually more consistent than pump fuel IMO. I have a relative who is an independent bulk fuel dealer and has been in the industry for 40 yrs.

Race fuel is a better base stock and more consistent blend barrel to barrel as usually its blended and packaged in the same location with high quality controls. Race fuel maintains close tolerances to specific gravity, MON/RON, etc. Race fuels come in a variety of octanes, oxygenation levels, etc. Most places do not sell av by the barrel, you buy it directly from the pump that is attached the tank sitting out in the elements, there will be some volatilization etc that affects the fuel. I bought lots of av from the Air Ranch right on the tarmac from the big tank. I ran av gas in my sled and most of the time it works just fine, I'm not taking anything away from av but if u are comparing the two, saying they are the same is tough. I've never seen a top engine builder dumping av gas into their $50K motor.

Sorry but AvGas does not come down the pipeline.

Jet and JetA yes, the only AvGas in AB is refined in one location. It is either drummed on site or Btrained to the airport sites. The bulk storage tanks are dedicated tanks, not multi use.

And I am not saying don't buy race fuel either. AvGas is meant to have very tight quality controls.

Sent from my HTC-Z710a using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry but AvGas does not come down the pipeline.

Jet and JetA yes, the only AvGas in AB is refined in one location. It is either drummed on site or Btrained to the airport sites. The bulk storage tanks are dedicated tanks, not multi use.

And I am not saying don't buy race fuel either. AvGas is meant to have very tight quality controls.

Sent from my HTC-Z710a using Tapatalk 2

You're right, was thinking av, should have been Jet A/B. My bad.

Last edited:

Whitecourt_Rider

Reaction score
That's why I ask! We have a bunch left over from Our race boat (fX 01) and was just looking to burn it up!! Don't wanna detonate my sled so I doubt I'll run it! Thanks for all the post though!! Sounds like its time for a turbo!!

tukernater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's why I ask! We have a bunch left over from Our race boat (fX 01) and was just looking to burn it up!! Don't wanna detonate my sled so I doubt I'll run it! Thanks for all the post though!! Sounds like its time for a turbo!!
What sled do you own

chadwik74

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Your Grants Nav?

tukernater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes Im Grants Navigator. I have a 2009 Summit XP 800 154'' . Just a MBRP can otherwise stock.

Same sled as mine, i'm jetted from 480 to 460 40/60 av/prem over 5000 km 0 issues, 04rev 800ho over 9000 miles! straight av since day1 he owns air planes 0 issues, 08 sdi 600x renny 146 over 5000km 0 issues40/60 and straight av in a 08xp 800 154 jetted down to 450's had 8800km when sold most of the guys I ride with run av and a splash of oil CHEAP Insurance.And yes every mile was in the mountains.We have great luck with it. All are riding is 3000-8000 feet

Whitecourt_Rider

Reaction score
Probably met you for sure. Im bad with putting names to faces. I went on MT actions just to look and i remember your boat. You know anyone else from Whitecourt?

Whitecourt_Rider

Reaction score
Same sled as mine, i'm jetted from 480 to 460 40/60 av/prem over 5000 km 0 issues, 04rev 800ho over 9000 miles! straight av since day1 he owns air planes 0 issues, 08 sdi 600x renny 146 over 5000km 0 issues40/60 and straight av in a 08xp 800 154 jetted down to 450's had 8800km when sold most of the guys I ride with run av and a splash of oil CHEAP Insurance.And yes every mile was in the mountains.We have great luck with it. All are riding is 3000-8000 feet

Thats some impressive numbers!! You notice a power loss like lots of others have posted. Did you play with the jetting before you found that was the best setup. Did all those sleds run solid until they were sold? What colour of Av gas were running?

chadwik74

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Probably met you for sure. Im bad with putting names to faces. I went on MT actions just to look and i remember your boat. You know anyone else from Whitecourt?

Just some old timers....like Crawford,Dave Bradley and Richard G.....oh, and Kelly Koch.

tukernater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thats some impressive numbers!! You notice a power loss like lots of others have posted. Did you play with the jetting before you found that was the best setup. Did all those sleds run solid until they were sold? What colour of Av gas were running?
I've ran Av ever sense The good old Blizzard 9500 Days JET DOWN 2 and ride never hurt me if I had to buy plugs once a year owell The av I use is 1OOll it's BLUE.The yamaha boys got me start on it when they were blowen up those old srx 440 solved there problems to.Man they were fast on the lake.

Top Bottom