Attic Insulation

Switch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking for a reputable attic insulation company in the Edmonton/Sherwood Park area, need to top up what I have in the attic which is R26 cellulose to R50 Any recommendation's would be appreciated. Can you apply Fiberglas fill over cellulose?

lloydguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think you can add whatever you want over either one, but cellulose has more R value
per inch than pink.R- 60 is new building code I heard, FYI.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yes you can add any loose fill over cellulose, Cellulose in time compress's and lose's it's R value. Pink fiber glass or Johns Manville are both good.

Call B.Wright Drywall ask for Blayne, he has attic trucks and can help you out. I'll send you a PM as well

Switch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes you can add any loose fill over cellulose, Cellulose in time compress's and lose's it's R value. Pink fiber glass or Johns Manville are both good.

Call B.Wright Drywall ask for Blayne, he has attic trucks and can help you out. I'll send you a PM as well
Thanks for the info.

lloydguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Yes, cellulose does settle something like 1" per foot when blown in, but it's not a hard problem to overcome.If you need 12" once settled, then blow in 13" problem solved. Pink BY FAR is the worst product there is on the market,but is used 99% of the time because it is the cheapest.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yes, cellulose does settle something like 1" per foot when blown in, but it's not a hard problem to overcome.If you need 12" once settled, then blow in 13" problem solved. Pink BY FAR is the worst product there is on the market,but is used 99% of the time because it is the cheapest.
Not speaking as a Moderator for this site, but how many attics have you personally blown in? And with what products?

lloydguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What does that have to do with anything? I have done quite a bit of reading on the topic
and cellulose IMO is the best there is. Do some reading on your own, it won't take you long
to find ALOT of negative quality's of pink.Like it's R value changes with the temp. As I stated
before the only reason it is so popular is because it is the cheapest thing there is on the market.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdSBRPnFvlM

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
17804986282 talk to Bruce. He lives in Sherwood Park area. He blows cellulose. Has done a few of our projects when we don't have time to our blow our own. Do not use fibreglass.

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
What does that have to do with anything? I have done quite a bit of reading on the topic
and cellulose IMO is the best there is. Do some reading on your own, it won't take you long
to find ALOT of negative quality's of pink.Like it's R value changes with the temp. As I stated
before the only reason it is so popular is because it is the cheapest thing there is on the market.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdSBRPnFvlM

Reading isn't always best. Blown in will settle far more than one inch over time. And air flow through the roof space or any moisture penetration can largely effect its insulating properties. Pink insulation ( which now has largely been replaced buy white) is yes used for cost effectiveness but also used mainly because it doesn't settle and is better for pretty well any sloped situation.

Also please recheck your info as blown fiberglass and batt have pretty well the exact same r-value. Blown is used mainly because of limited access

Also ab building code says min r-34 in an attic

And pretty sure trashy knows a thing or two about insulation.

Last edited:

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not speaking as a Moderator for this site, but how many attics have you personally blown in? And with what products?

This is my set up for blowing cellulose. Hydraulic powered from the skidsteer. We just blow our own projects.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 86

smokinD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thinking of blowing in another 2-3"inchs of cellulose does anyone have an approx. cost on something like this?

Top Bottom