Plasma, water or laser cutting?

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Need a couple 3/8" thick 304 (1.4301) stainless plates made up. Roughly 20" x 7". Four corner holes and four pump mounting holes. Outside edges need to be beveled as do the tops of the holes. Plates will need to be polished but not sure of spec yet. What's the best method for having this done, plasma, water or laser?

Any suggestions on Edmonton area company whom will do good work? I'm thinking water would provide the best quality finish?

Last edited:

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Laser would be best but not many would be able to bevel the plate with it. Water jet would be next but honestly don’t know any places that will be able to cut that bevel. Might be cheaper to buy flat bar and do it the old fashion way?

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What are the tolerances required? A plasma table with a bevel head could accomplish this, but it's definitely not going to give you machine shop tolerances.

I think I'm with @neilsleder on this, if you're only building a couple a guy could probably do it faster with an angle grinder and a drill press than finding a shop with the right equipment to do it.

Rotax_Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Because of the bevel, you're going to be limited. I've have some work done out of Ontario for work like this. Couldn't find anyone with a laser, and few have water. This particular company had a multiaxis hi def plasma. For that thickness, I doubt you'd find a noticable difference in cut quality. The bevel requirement is going to make things challenging

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thinking more about this flat bar or plate cut to size then a machine shop to do the rest. That would give best results and be the easiest to source out.

kovs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Depending how big the plate is anyone with plasma or laser could cut it. Then need mill or cnc to do bevels shouldn’t be hard but will add up $$

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
have had a couple pieces cut with a laser cutter at penhold, not sure if better than a water jet but but I know far nicer than plasma.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here are a couple pics of the piece the factory sent. Need a larger piece like this with less holes.

Attachments

• Baseplate (1).jpg
    Baseplate (1).jpg
    412.7 KB · Views: 82
  • Baseplate (2).jpg
    Baseplate (2).jpg
    219.6 KB · Views: 89

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Here are a couple pics of the piece the factory sent. Need a larger piece like this with less holes.
Duane, give Paul a shout @ Wynn Machine & Manufacturing, if anyone can help you out, it's probably him.

firstdoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Should be easy enough to do that yourself. You can buy the plate cut to size from any metal supplier. Use a grinder, file, and stone for your bevels. Drill press, drill bit, and chamfer bit for the holes. Lots of machine shops or welding shop should be able to spit them out quickly if you don't do it yourself.

Wondering why the plate would need to be polished if its a pump base though?

Jobu

Reaction score
In Edmonton, try these guys -

For Laser -
Schmidt Laserworks
GC Custom Metal
Raylin Manufacturing
For Waterjet -
Metal Fabricators and Welding (They can bevel waterjet cut)
Waterjet Inc

I would stay away from plasma for this.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Really appreciate all the feedback. This is for a pharmaceutical application so has to be perfect.

Jobu

Reaction score
Really appreciate all the feedback. This is for a pharmaceutical application so has to be perfect.
Most shops are fully aware of the tolerances their machines provide. Just be clear what yours are when you're talking to them.

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you want the bevels etc. why not get it done on a regular mill? If you need multiples a CNC could punch them out faster than you could bolt them up....

Top Bottom