Riding in Fernie

edge rmk700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thinking of going to Fernie how is the riding there ,what are-the riding areas like , can you park at coal creek with a small trailer or some where near , any info would be appreciated, thanks

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Riding is decent when there is fresh snow. Not so much lately. I think Coal Creek is open by now but best let a local chime in. If not Morrisey is your go to west of town to access the notch area

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Coal creek is closed for another 4 weeks. They are working hard to repair the damaged road and FSA will post when it opens up again. When it does we will need a big dump of snow to cover the road. Morrissey is open but I don't believe overnight camping is allowed. I was up there today and yes you can find fresh if you look REAL hard. The snow pack I think is low

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Coal creek is closed for another 4 weeks. They are working hard to repair the damaged road and FSA will post when it opens up again. When it does we will need a big dump of snow to cover the road. Morrissey is open but I don't believe overnight camping is allowed. I was up there today and yes you can find fresh if you look REAL hard. The snow pack I think is low
They must be really having a time of it getting that road fixed. I think originally they talked about middle of January it would be completed?

lightweight

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
coal creek only open to trucks with decks right now and only room for about 10 vehicles. Morrisey is your best bet. Trail grooming is keeping the trail in good shape. there is a small detour on the trail with a very slow speed limit from the earlier flooding .

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
coal creek only open to trucks with decks right now and only room for about 10 vehicles. Morrisey is your best bet. Trail grooming is keeping the trail in good shape. there is a small detour on the trail with a very slow speed limit from the earlier flooding .
Coal Creek is NOT open to anything. Yesterday at the cabin I was chatting with the manager of Foothills that is very much involved with the repairs of the road. The first washout took 4 days to repair. They are taking rock off the side of highway#3 by Elko and trucking it to coal creek. FSA and the city is asking everyone to stay away from coal creek untill it is fully repaired. Keep in mind Coal creek was open for a few weeks and now is closed

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They must be really having a time of it getting that road fixed. I think originally they talked about middle of January it would be completed?
I was told it took more time to get everyone involved and get the permits and such. and yes it a big job and costing big$$$$$$

lightweight

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks Lucky for the update . Looks like you and I were commenting at the same time. Your Knowledge and current reports are appreciated.

edge rmk700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your reply’s sounds like riding not great at this time wait for another re load of snow

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is Fernie getting what Revy and Golden are. Summit Creek Cabins west of Blairmore posted 12" of freshy in their parking lot today on Factbook

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is Fernie getting what Revy and Golden are. Summit Creek Cabins west of Blairmore posted 12" of freshy in their parking lot today on Factbook
nope. we got overnight maybe 5" of wet heavy snow in Fernie

Old-Soul

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We skipped going this weekend as it didn't look like much new snow fell during the week - maybe that was a mistake.

Top Bottom