Area's Around St. Albert

YamahaFTW

Reaction score
Hey, i just moved out here from Ontario and im looking for some trails.
I havent bought any machines yet but i was wondering if anyone knew of
any trail around St.Albert. I live about 5 minutes from Riverside Yamaha but
i havent found any riding areas. Please post directions and possibly pictures

Thanks Alot.

Also, Im looking at a DS 650 so im not sure if the mud you guys get down here will stop this machine, so post any ideas on sleds/ATVs i should look into.

gforce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya gotta wait until the river freezes then you ca go west to big lake all the way to Alberta beach or east past Gibbons..i heard of going north of bon accord there is riding past lily lake..never been there tho.:beer:

aircanam

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Better check to see if it is legal.... Heard guys getting ticketed for riding the sturgeon river(but maybe that was in town??)

Yep, It's Illegal within the City of St Albert to ride the Sturgeon river. Either side of town your good for miles on it though. :Snowmobile1:

jay

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
when the snows good we usually ditch bang bon accord to legal to busby to vimy to gibbons back to bon accord :d

YamahaFTW

Reaction score
Ahhhh ok thanks, any maps on getting there? :)

Also, how deep does the Pow get out here? Should i be
aiming for a sled or Atv,

jersey99

Reaction score
Yep, It's Illegal within the City of St Albert to ride the Sturgeon river. Either side of town your good for miles on it though. :Snowmobile1:

Actually, its illegal to sled on Big Lake, its a provincial park and wildlife sanctuary. I found out the hard way last winter!

POWDERCHOWDER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That is the dumbest rule i have ever heard. We have a cabin on laurier lake in wittney lakes prov park and we are able to ride on the lakes in the winter just not on the trails thru the park.

jersey99

Reaction score
:nono:
Jersey what happened to you on big lake?

My buddy and I went from Alberta Beach to St. Albert on the Sturgeon River, once we arrived in St. Albert, we quickly realized that we shouldn't be there. In town there are no sledding signs everywhere, so, before we put our helmets on to head back west, two sleds approached. They were two by-law officers, and they were called by someone who has nothing to do but watch the frozen river. After explaining our ignorance to the cities by-law, they were prepared to then let us go, but not before explaining to us that sledding on Big Lake is illegal, because its a provincial park and a wildlife sanctuary, so, we didn't get ticketed, but, we won't be on that lake again. You are, however, allowed to go upstream from Big Lake on the Sturgeon, which is a nice ride

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's likely only due to the fact it's a wildlife sanctuary. If I am correct, you can ride lakes in a provincial park, just not the land/park portion. A wildlife snctuary means bird habitat and therefore the lake. Good info here.

Word of advice on riding the Sturgeon. It is fun, but watch the many corners. A lot of racer wannabees on the inside corners, especially some of the crazy quad riders.

EJHrider

Reaction score
That is the dumbest s$%t ever! a bird sanctuary? the lake is frozen. what is the harm in riding on it? its FROZEN! and i could be wrong but i have never seen a bird on the lake when it is -20...

yamadoo

Reaction score
u could easily get away with a 4 wheel drive quad lately.Not much powder for many years around here,and when we get snow its to friggin cold to ride like right now! aw hell splurge and do one of each

Sgt Jordy

Reaction score
I believe that big lake is Saint Alberts drinking water, during the summer your not even allowed to canoe the lake, you can fish the mouth of the Stugeon but not Big Lake

Grinny

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I believe that big lake is Saint Alberts drinking water, during the summer your not even allowed to canoe the lake, you can fish the mouth of the Stugeon but not Big Lake

St. Albert get's it's water from the North Saskatchewan. You're totally allowed to canoe on the lake, but no motors are allowed. I'm not sure about the fishing now though. I use to fish at the pier at the far west end of St. Albert when I was a kid and never had a problem. Great fishing too! It's unfortunate that a few idiots ruined the riding around there for everybody because it use to be half decent. I'm not even sure if you can ride on the east side of St. Albert now. There's certainly enough signs around that say you can't...And again it's too bad because there's some wicked hills along the Sturgeon to the east.

Mikew5j

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sturgeon County has an off road vehicle ban in the area between highway 2 and 28, from highway 37 south to the Edmonton / St Albert boundary.

teamillusion

Reaction score
I live in St. Albert and we usally go out by cardiff/morinville/carbondale if you want a really close ride to home. I believe if you go out on highway 2 north towards morinville there are snowmobile trail signs in the ditch. A couple years ago my dad and I went out there to try and figure out where this trail goes and there wasn't enough snow so we turned around and came home. Last year for our first ride we went out to clyde corner in the ditches just past the town and there was some pretty good riding out there and it was only a 45 minute drive.

timbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
watch out for drainage ditch north of morinville and east of hwy2.seen a few sleds planted there no warning

Top Bottom