Area around Jaffery

Boblikesfun

Reaction score
Area around Jaffray

Excuse my ignorance if details of this are posted elsewhere but about 10-12 years ago I went Snow Cat Skiing with Snow Much Fun near Jaffray. At the time there was some degree of cooperation between the operator and sledders much like the arangement with Chatter Creek. I heard Snow Much Fun no longer operates there ( possibly taken over by Island Lake? ) . I was wondering what that area is called? What it is like to sled in and any other info would be appreciated. Thanks.:)

Last edited:

knee deep in it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we are building a cabin near there and will be sledding a lot next winter. The area is probably Sand Hills but there is good sledding all over that area.

Maclintock

Reaction score
Re: Area around Jaffray

Excuse my ignorance if details of this are posted elsewhere but about 10-12 years ago I went Snow Cat Skiing with Snow Much Fun near Jaffray. At the time there was some degree of cooperation between the operator and sledders much like the arangement with Chatter Creek. I heard Snow Much Fun no longer operates there ( possibly taken over by Island Lake? ) . I was wondering what that area is called? What it is like to sled in and any other info would be appreciated. Thanks.:)

Powder Cowboys. It is closed and yes Island Lake was running it.

HRT Offroad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The area is called Little Sand - this is where Snow Much Fun/Powder Cowboys used to operate. There's quite a few good sledding areas close to there; McDermit Creek and First Peak are great places as well. Watch your aspects and weather/snow pattern around there as it can be quite high avy danger in those areas.

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hahaha oh is harv given out the secrets again hahaha. I did get out this weekend sat in fernie decent snow still a little thin then went to lumberton on sunday and was real good base is getting awesome rite now! did you get out at all?

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you are riding little sand/mcdermid then make sure you know where you are going and STAY THE FAWK OUT OF THUNDER MEADOWS - sleds are not allowed there so make sure you ask someone local about where you are riding before you go.

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you are riding little sand/mcdermid then make sure you know where you are going and STAY THE FAWK OUT OF THUNDER MEADOWS - sleds are not allowed there so make sure you ask someone local about where you are riding before you go.

this is very true thunder meadows is only open at certain times of the years and the closing of that area is now for the season till the end of april then that area is back open. so please stay away from that area the skieers are getting real pissy with sledders coming back in there and chewing up there ski runs! lots of other great areas to ride around there if you absolutely cant rsist and have to go back there then wait till itis closed for the ski touring so we dont lose access to that area for good!

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
this is very true thunder meadows is only open at certain times of the years and the closing of that area is now for the season till the end of april then that area is back open. so please stay away from that area the skieers are getting real pissy with sledders coming back in there and chewing up there ski runs! lots of other great areas to ride around there if you absolutely cant rsist and have to go back there then wait till itis closed for the ski touring so we dont lose access to that area for good!

Yep I agree - with all the other area we have to ride no need to ride in there and risk losing the whole pie because you wanted one little piece. Use your heads, we are already fighting for enough riding area, we don't need to fight for another one.

northsledder

Reaction score
where is thunder meadows? was up there Sunday afternoon for the first time and followed some tracks that went to a cabin, some skiers were there and there did not seem impressed to see us. Lots of good snow, played in the trees since we couldn't see much.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
where is thunder meadows? was up there Sunday afternoon for the first time and followed some tracks that went to a cabin, some skiers were there and there did not seem impressed to see us. Lots of good snow, played in the trees since we couldn't see much.

Probably a good bet that you were at the Thunder Meadows cabin which is off limits to sledders.......hopefully you weren't.......Thunder Meadows is on the back side of the ski hill basically, I don't have GPS co-ordinates for the cabin, I've never been there.

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yup you would have been at there cabin and yeah I bet they werent to happy to see you there. that area is off limits so we really need to make a big effort to stay away from it till it is shut down at the end of the season fernie cranbrook elkford and the pass have so much good riding we dont need to go in there stuff if you want stuff like that of thunder meadows try the ram creek road or look up a place called the diorite cant tell you were it is cause it's one of my little secrets :d but a clue is bull river :beer:

HRT Offroad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken...you may have been at the guide/outfitters cabin on the way up little sand?? It is also often used by skiers...

giddyup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i think when a person is riding in an are that has limited access, get a map and know where you are going, no need to piss anyone off, we have lots of mountian and snow. i enjoy little sands, i ride it a fair bit but you have to know where you can go and were not to go. please know were you are

giddyup

northsledder

Reaction score
AS I just moved to the area, I talked to some other locals about riding little sand they said the skiing was not happening this year so the area was wide open. The day we rode we connected with a long time local who pointed us in the direction to go. We were trying to be informed as possible. So next time anybody is riding little sands, let me know I would love to tag along and see where we can ride.

HRT Offroad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
AS I just moved to the area, I talked to some other locals about riding little sand they said the skiing was not happening this year so the area was wide open. The day we rode we connected with a long time local who pointed us in the direction to go. We were trying to be informed as possible. So next time anybody is riding little sands, let me know I would love to tag along and see where we can ride.

Northsledder,

Was born and raised in Cranbrook...lived there for 34 years and spent every weekend for many winters cat skiing with my buddies that originally owned SnoMuch Fun...I'll be down there on the 24th for a week and a half for holidays. PM me your # if you want to ride!!

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
give look me up when you are down in this area as well wouldnt mine meeting up with ya have a BS about your store and other good shyte like that pm me on here or 919-1130 :beer:

OOC ZigZag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The area is called Little Sand - this is where Snow Much Fun/Powder Cowboys used to operate. There's quite a few good sledding areas close to there; McDermit Creek and First Peak are great places as well. Watch your aspects and weather/snow pattern around there as it can be quite high avy danger in those areas.

Will be in Fernie 27 28 29 :d:beer:

Top Bottom