APV Oil in New PRO

NeilV

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so i just picked up a new pro RMK yesterday and i am very excited to get it out on the snow. However i am coming from an arctic cat and we have a 16 gallon drum of arctic cat apv oil sitting in the shop so i was wondering if can run the cat oil in my new polaris or is it going to end up causing problems for me? any input would be appreciated.

High Velocity

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not a Cat guy, but I assume it's a synthetic oil ? If so, I wouldn't hesitate to run it in my Pro. If you're not sure, ship it to me and I'll test it out for the season.

flygti32

Reaction score
I have been told by two close polaris mechanic friends of mine to run nothing but Polaris VS gold in the pro's and rmk's

High Velocity

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have been told by two close polaris mechanic friends of mine to run nothing but Polaris VS gold in the pro's and rmk's

And, by all means, if that's what you believe and are comfortable with, then stay with the VES. It's good oil. I ran Shell Advance Synthetic in my '01 800 RMK for 4,000 miles - no breakdowns, in my '06 900 RMK for 3,500 miles - no breakdowns, and now in my '12 Pro - no worries at all. My point being, if you stay with a name brand oil, you're not going to have oil related issues. Arctic Cat is not going to sell a cheap oil that's going to increase warranty claims. If I had 16 gallons of AC oil on hand, that's what I'd be running in my Pro.

NeilV

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did they say for what reason? If they are both synthetic what would the issue be?

poo88

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did they say for what reason? If they are both synthetic what would the issue be?
likely fer some kind of warranty reasons.. even though we all know if we run certified oil they cant deny warranty

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
likely fer some kind of warranty reasons.. even though we all know if we run certified oil they cant deny warranty

I was told by my dealer when I picked up my new Pro this year they he recommends running only Polaris oil. He had sent a sled in for warranty issues and Polaris actually did a test on oil and found it to not be Polaris oil and denied warranty.
He said it was up to me to run whatever oil I wanted, but for the sake of the warranty, run only Polaris VS Gold in it.

trench

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was told by my dealer when I picked up my new Pro this year they he recommends running only Polaris oil. He had sent a sled in for warranty issues and Polaris actually did a test on oil and found it to not be Polaris oil and denied warranty.
He said it was up to me to run whatever oil I wanted, but for the sake of the warranty, run only Polaris VS Gold in it.

I don't think that Polaris could deny a warranty claim unless they could show that the oil was the cause of the failure. Is your dealer telling you this to sell you VES Gold? If you use an oil that meets the specs Polaris calls for they should have to honour the warranty.

poo88

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I can see it if they were using sub standard oil but not so much if it meets all the factory requirements.. I use the polaris ves just because I don't want the headache of dealing with polaris if they decide to pull that sh!t over somethin small like oil but once warranty is up I will be switchin to somethin different

Sent from a phone likely at work

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't think that Polaris could deny a warranty claim unless they could show that the oil was the cause of the failure. Is your dealer telling you this to sell you VES Gold? If you use an oil that meets the specs Polaris calls for they should have to honour the warranty.

Nope, my dealer is a 4 hr drive away from where I live, and he knows that there are 3 other dealers closer to me than him. Only reason I got the sled there is that it was the only place that had them left. He just said to be safe than sorry when it came to warranty. Once it's up, use whatever you want that meets specs.

rockydaug

Reaction score
If Polaris will only cover warranty if you use their product, then they have to supply you with their product. Any oil that meets their requirements has to be covered by their warranty. Lets just say though, it will be a lot less grief if you use their product.

Top Bottom