Appliance life span and our throwaway world

firstdoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
POS dish washer caused $28000 water damage to my house. $38.00 shutoff valve was to blame. Bosch one with leak sensor is in there now.
Most new homes (prob code) now have a catch sill and drain for washing machines. I don't understand why there isn't one for dishwashers. I had two neighbors in our cul-de-sac that have had major damage (20K+) on their main floor and basements due to dishwashers failing.

firstdoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Funny timing. Our 5 year old high end kitchenaid appliances are starting to let go. Pump on dishwasher is on its way out. Water inlet for icemaker on fridge just sprung a leak and caused a ton of damage.

Is there a brand that actually lasts? I thought that's why we spent so much on the kitchenaid
Maytag, KitchenAid, Whirlpool, and Jenn-air are all the same company, and mostly the same parts. When we bought our appliances I really wanted to get the Jenn-Air 'Floating Glass' fridge. Think it was around $3600 at the time 13 years age. Was out of the budget, and did some research, found out it was identical to the $1600 Maytag fridge we bought but with glass on the door. Everything else was identical.

firstdoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Millwright by trade here aswell. It blows my mind even the waste while on the work site. Actually pretty sad if you think about how many others are doing this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agreed on how sad it is. A lot of Millwrights are turning into R&R (remove & replace) guys rather than R&R&R (remove, repair, and reinstall). Not their fault for the most part as companies and manufacturers are pushing it this way. lilduke above said the truth. "Cant sell new appliances if they last forever" .

cdnredneck_t3

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
East of the Rockies and west of the rest.
Millwright turned full time farmer here too. First house in 08 was built in 06 with GE appliances. First owners took washer and dryer and I bought Samsung. Not one problem in 8 years. Moved to farm and replaced dish washer with an LG and new Samsung washer and dryer. Washer and dryer are good but that LG dishwasher is a POS.

First month the sump popped out and it leaked but we were home so caught it in time. Installed wrong from factory. Then the pump seized, impeller rubbed on the volute, did some sanding for clearance and got it going. Then motor bearings went out on pump, seal was rolled in motor housing from factory and was filling with water. If I would have pulled it when I fixed the impeller I would have caught that. Then the diverter valve for top rack seized so changed the entire sump that time and replaced valve actuator on old one for a back up. Then one day watching tv heard a loud bang and the door lift spring snapped. Now the new sump assembly is making noise again. But parts are cheap at least.

tejay

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We had a kenmore elite dishwasher that worked very well until it started to not clean very well. I was torn on replacing or repairing after 10 years . I decided to give it away and the new owner got it repaired only to have something else go wrong .Turned out for starters it was the heating element followed by the pump . My belief is if you get 8 years be happy and turf the thing to the landfill , you will be further ahead. Replaced with a Bosch btw. We shall see how long it lasts .

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh the irony... I just finished replacing the water inlet valve on our washer as it was passing, heating coil on dishwasher failed replaced it worked for a week and no heat again. Shopping for a new dishwasher and all my research leads to Bosch.
There is a staggering amount of built to fail appliances that are being produced right now. Sounds like pretty much anything Samsung is ch!t, LG makes terrible compressors, you have to research what you buy now for sure first and avoid new innovation.
Not sure why I would need a wifi fridge or dishwasher but they are out there.

firstdoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh the irony... I just finished replacing the water inlet valve on our washer as it was passing, heating coil on dishwasher failed replaced it worked for a week and no heat again. Shopping for a new dishwasher and all my research leads to Bosch.
There is a staggering amount of built to fail appliances that are being produced right now. Sounds like pretty much anything Samsung is ch!t, LG makes terrible compressors, you have to research what you buy now for sure first and avoid new innovation.
Not sure why I would need a wifi fridge or dishwasher but they are out there.
On our Maytag dishwasher I replaced the thermal fuse twice. Was told that my water was 'too hot' and that using the dishwasher on the hi temp/sanitize cycle can cause issues with the thermal fuse as its inside the door. What a joke. Dishwasher that you couldn't use all the cycles/options to dry the dishes. Ended up replacing it with a Samsung from home depot at the end of 2020. No issues with the Samsung, but it doesn't do a great job. Got it on a huge sale for about $550 or would have bought the Bosch 300 series for about $1300.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with the bosch 100 series? Worth all the extra money for the 300, or just bell's and whistles?

firstdoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with the bosch 100 series? Worth all the extra money for the 300, or just bell's and whistles?
I'm guessing bells and whistles but a friend has a 300 series. Toss anything in, no matter how dirty or caked on food and everything always comes out clean and dry.

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

My Bosch is a 300 and is 22 years years old. I would look at the 100 series as long as the WHOLE tub is stainless steel and not just a part of the tub. I use 2 setting on my DW and that's it.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I don’t know about the various series of the Bosch dishwashers. Ours is 3 years old and no problems. The model number is SHS863WDN/13 and is listed at 44dBA. It is stainless. We had a “$6000 credit” at a local supplier for our appliances from the contractor who built the house and went quite a bit over that price. We bought all new as we left all appliances with the house we sold.
Our last DW was a Miele and it was awesome. SS and very quiet. They are expensive but I think you get what you pay for.

MP Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A buddy here at work has a house full of Miele, wolf, and sub zero.... parts are made to be replaced and there's people to replace them in the city.

I have a house full of LG and other normal stuff... they're junk in comparison.
I have a Wolf gas cooktop in my island. It’s given trouble as well, no repair place will even consider traveling to my home. I could’ve replaced it 5 times already for the price I paid….

THEY’RE ALL JUNK

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a familiar theme everywhere…my place is 9 yrs old…replaced the LG dishwasher with a Bosch 3 yrs ago. The icemaker in the LG fridge has calved twice….just needs a new tray as the well water makes it rough, then the cubes don’t fall out, then it overflows and makes a big frozen block….but you can’t buy the tray; need a whole icemaker unit at $150 ish. So I’ve changed that out twice.

Here’s a real unit. 1939 GE. I took it from my parents cabin when they sold it in 2000-ish. Painted it DooDoo colors 2004-5. It has never missed a beat. Quiet as can be as the motor/compressor is in an oil bath. I belive this was one of the first bottom compressor fridges as many of that era still had the big round thing on top.

Attachments

• 9C8CE6AF-5CF0-4DB7-BA6F-0D6666B9753D.jpeg
    9C8CE6AF-5CF0-4DB7-BA6F-0D6666B9753D.jpeg
    288.7 KB · Views: 93
  • 52370732-1724-401C-BF37-4EF9F7FBBD0B.jpeg
    52370732-1724-401C-BF37-4EF9F7FBBD0B.jpeg
    340.4 KB · Views: 94

Mountainman52

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well, I had to fix another appliance in the house today. Washer bearings chit the bed a while ago and finally got around to replacing them. Second time I’ve repaired the washer. Last fix was the drain pump.

Got to talking to the wife, and she started reminding me how many times I’ve had to fix a major appliance in our house. Washer twice, dryer once, fridge 3 times, stove twice, dishwasher 3 times before I finally replaced the pos, and the hot water tank under warranty. Only thing that hasn’t been touched is the furnace.

Had our house built 13 years ago and all the appliances were new then. If I wasn’t handy (Millwright by trade) it would have cost thousands to get someone out to fix it, or I probably would have done what most people do. Toss it and buy a new one.

Life span on appliances these days don’t seem to be much more than 10 years. Back in the day they built things to last, but that doesn’t seem to spur the economy these days. Lol. I’m sure there’s some fridges and deep freezes out there older than the 39 years I’ve been around.
The president of LG appliances has come out and said that there stuff is made to last for10 years of service. "Corporate greed is what I call it." We build our house 26 years ago and have a white 26 old Maytag side by side with water and ice in the door, was state of the art back then. White Maytag stove and dish washer that are also 26 years old and all still working just fine. The olny thing we have replaced on the fridge are the defrost tubes a couple time thats it. The first time I watched the repair guy change them and he said to me these are well build fridges and told me dont sell it or I be disapointed with the new junk thats out there.The old lady wanted to by all new appliances after our reno and put in stainless steel in. I said to her not a chance after watching her sister and our friends have nothing but problems with todays new junk thats out there.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's exactly what I am looking at right now.. 100 has less features, plastic bottom, same basic build quality, sounds like they are all basically the same with more features and quieter as you go up in models. $300 increase to go 300 from 100 apples to apples. Lower end bosch models I am told do not dry plastics very well, upper end have a better technology there. I just can't stomach spending more than $1000 for a dishwasher but there is certainly people buying them. Watch who you commit to buying from there are lots of shortages and they don't tell you that until you put your money down..

explains differences

Top Bottom