Appliance life span and our throwaway world

firstdoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well, I had to fix another appliance in the house today. Washer bearings chit the bed a while ago and finally got around to replacing them. Second time I’ve repaired the washer. Last fix was the drain pump.

Got to talking to the wife, and she started reminding me how many times I’ve had to fix a major appliance in our house. Washer twice, dryer once, fridge 3 times, stove twice, dishwasher 3 times before I finally replaced the pos, and the hot water tank under warranty. Only thing that hasn’t been touched is the furnace.

Had our house built 13 years ago and all the appliances were new then. If I wasn’t handy (Millwright by trade) it would have cost thousands to get someone out to fix it, or I probably would have done what most people do. Toss it and buy a new one.

Life span on appliances these days don’t seem to be much more than 10 years. Back in the day they built things to last, but that doesn’t seem to spur the economy these days. Lol. I’m sure there’s some fridges and deep freezes out there older than the 39 years I’ve been around.

crazy_wheeler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes appliances sure aren’t built like they used to be. Our LG dishwasher has crapped the bed again 2 yrs after the 1st repair. Drain pump again. I even hound the kids to make sure they scrape all left over food off before loading the dishwasher. The LG fridge is 10 yrs old & has been trouble free up to last year when the ice maker stopped dispensing ice. Not a big deal cause the in the door I’ve maker is lousy. The ice would freeze into one big chunk.

firstdoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Paid 6K for a fridge, washer, dryer, stove, and dishwasher back in the day. Going ‘high end’ we would have been around 10k. Miele and Bosch weren’t in the budget back then. And I really wouldn’t want to dole the money out now to replace anything. Everything great when it’s working. Would never buy another Maytag dishwasher though. POS out of the box.

firstdoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Only upside to Maytag is parts are easy to get and reasonably priced. Amazon’s been a good place for part or Amre Suppy in Edmonton.

canuck5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Our house is 10 years old washer dryer dishwasher fridge and hot water tank microwave have all been replaced now. Washer had multiple fixes myself from sensors to wires shocks pump finally would not work with spin cycle. Dryer I replaced thermal fuse and did a full clean out to get the 10 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

firstdoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There’s a ton of information on the interweb about appliance repair. Didn’t need it for everything but helps a lot with the electronics.

I’m sure if there is anyone on this site that need some help there’s probably been an appliance repair done by someone on the S&M community.

crazy_wheeler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My parents dishwasher is a Maytag that they have had from the early 80’s that still works fine only downfall is it’s loud as heck, lol. It’s a portable dishwasher with the wood top

fj40

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bought my maytag washer and dryer over 30 years ago still going strong with a few minor repairs.
Can't believe the short life span of the newer stuff and all the circuit boards.

skid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We bought all LG appliances for our place 15 years ago, the dishwasher lasted 1 year and was replaced under warranty, the next one lasted about the same so I ripped it out and put in a Bosch and it’s still going strong. The LG stove I’ve replace the entire computer board and the fridge is a total POS with the shelves falling apart and you can’t replace them. We bought Electrolux washer and dryer and they have been excellent. I will never buy another LG product.

Mcstuck87

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well, I had to fix another appliance in the house today. Washer bearings chit the bed a while ago and finally got around to replacing them. Second time I’ve repaired the washer. Last fix was the drain pump.

Got to talking to the wife, and she started reminding me how many times I’ve had to fix a major appliance in our house. Washer twice, dryer once, fridge 3 times, stove twice, dishwasher 3 times before I finally replaced the pos, and the hot water tank under warranty. Only thing that hasn’t been touched is the furnace.

Had our house built 13 years ago and all the appliances were new then. If I wasn’t handy (Millwright by trade) it would have cost thousands to get someone out to fix it, or I probably would have done what most people do. Toss it and buy a new one.

Life span on appliances these days don’t seem to be much more than 10 years. Back in the day they built things to last, but that doesn’t seem to spur the economy these days. Lol. I’m sure there’s some fridges and deep freezes out there older than the 39 years I’ve been around.

Millwright by trade here aswell. It blows my mind even the waste while on the work site. Actually pretty sad if you think about how many others are doing this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

papajake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We just replaced our washer after 30 years I replaced the pump about 15 years ago that was it when we built our new house 15 years ago we bought a new fridge stove and dishwasher all 3 have had some problems the electronics don’t last more than 3-5 years and don’t get me started on garbage all weather windows

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Funny timing. Our 5 year old high end kitchenaid appliances are starting to let go. Pump on dishwasher is on its way out. Water inlet for icemaker on fridge just sprung a leak and caused a ton of damage.

Is there a brand that actually lasts? I thought that's why we spent so much on the kitchenaid

vrscr43

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have repaired lots of appliances over the years. Usually get the replacement parts from Amre or amazon.
Funny thing is all the different brands use the same parts.

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A buddy here at work has a house full of Miele, wolf, and sub zero.... parts are made to be replaced and there's people to replace them in the city.

I have a house full of LG and other normal stuff... they're junk in comparison.

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
MY Bosch dishwasher is 22 years old and still going strong. I thought it crapped the bed in the spring but it was a plugged line going into plumbing under the sink. When it dies I will replace it with a Bosch from Costco due to the in house warranty that they provide. Our maytag washer and dryer are around 10 years old and still good. Our 15 year old kenmore fridge gave us grief a few years ago but the repair guy fixed it and said no matter what keep this fridge going cause the new ones are JUNK

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
BTW same as TV's. If they break throw them out. As a kid most towns had a TV repair shop

catrutt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
POS dish washer caused $28000 water damage to my house. $38.00 shutoff valve was to blame. Bosch one with leak sensor is in there now.

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is why it's awesome that my brother is an appliance repairman! He knows how to fix them all or let me know when it's not worth it.

Top Bottom