Anyone on here drive from Ontario to ride out west?

Rotax_Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Jesus, ontario? Im from sask and we drive to bc. 14 hours, ride 5 days and drive back. The guys i go with do it once a month, so about 5 or 6 times a winter. 3-4 trucks 3-5 guys a truck most of the time.

how do you guys ride in a group of 9-20? we always seem like were dodging someone else if our group gets larger than 5. rode in a group of 10 years ago and never again

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
how do you guys ride in a group of 9-20? we always seem like were dodging someone else if our group gets larger than 5. rode in a group of 10 years ago and never again

it usually breaks into groups, i ride by my self alot it seems. it works, we all have radios and do checks every once in a while, some times groups split to help out others we have muster points. seems like ill ride and ride and never see anyone all day and get to a muster point and everyone is there haha.

Nagzs

Reaction score
Here's the cost breakdown of my first trip out:

Drive from Ontario to Sicamous $400.00 (this is half the cost as i split this with my old man)
Gas for sledding (8 days) $350.00
Stay in Sicamous (9 nights) $650.00 (also have the cost)
Food for entire trip (eat in at lodge) $300.00
Guide for half the days riding $400.00
Flight home $400.00

Total cost $2500.00

Keep in mind my next trip is cheaper cause i don't have to drive out. I collect thousands of air miles so never really have to pay more then 100/flight (the flight at christmas i can't get with airmiles). I will some times do a solo trip and meet up with people and that generally costs a bit more cause i can't split lodging. Im not counting what i have to pay the guy to run my facility while I'm away but its around 1000 for every week i'm gone.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Drive from Ontario to Sicamous $400.00 (this is half the cost as i split this with my old man)
Flight home $400.00

Total cost $2500.00

Keep in mind my next trip is cheaper cause i don't have to drive out. I collect thousands of air miles so never really have to pay more then 100/flight (the flight at christmas i can't get with airmiles). I will some times do a solo trip and meet up with people and that generally costs a bit more cause i can't split lodging. Im not counting what i have to pay the guy to run my facility while I'm away but its around 1000 for every week i'm gone.

The experience and the fun you have is priceless!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

everest8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have been out west 3 times. Well worth the road trip. Yup ! 2800 k's one way ! Scenery and to see my brother well worth it ! Whole new world there, scenery etc.

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm looking to go East for a groomed trail ride. Where to go or how Far East to get to the main interconnecting trails. It's all about the holiday and adventure

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why is it lost wages? Vacation time bro. Never take vacation?

I work 4x4. Four days vacation gets me 12 off. Lots of people work shift work. Not unreasonable. I don't see why you would add in lost wages for driving vs flying.

Doesn't matter to me either way.

whoa dude, sounds like you need a vacation.......I was simply responding to your post about it being super cheap to drive 6,000 kms compared to flying and renting, pointing out that the costs are not that much more and there are benefits and drawbacks to both scenarios. Holy frig, Sorry if I questioned some sense of superior knowledge.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I dunno..

Road trips are great and all, but driving home for some reason really sucks. QE2 or the strip from Edson to E-town.. My god that's torture for me.. LOL

Rotax_Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to go East for a groomed trail ride. Where to go or how Far East to get to the main interconnecting trails. It's all about the holiday and adventure
id love to go ride in ontario, quebec, or the up of michigan. even here in sask we've talked about throwing on the backpacks and going which ever way life takes us for 4 or 5 days here.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
whoa dude, sounds like you need a vacation.......I was simply responding to your post about it being super cheap to drive 6,000 kms compared to flying and renting, pointing out that the costs are not that much more and there are benefits and drawbacks to both scenarios. Holy frig, Sorry if I questioned some sense of superior knowledge.

We already know those whom believe they have superior knowledge.

I don't care what someone chooses to do. Already said that. It's their choice.

nwoprormk

Reaction score
I'm from Ontario and last year was my first year driving out west to ride. Just wondering if anyone else does this.

FromThunder Bay...Go the first week of Dec, Feb.....and April like clockwork. Dec ride is my fav.Deep dry pow.....and because I like the look on my neighboors face when I load up in the gravel lane. Week of Dec 5-12 this yr if u wanna tag along. Us Ontario guys should stik together.....that way we can pull a sled outta a 8' deep tree well without being heckled by the locals that u get to help lol

JK.....locals in Revvy are awesome. Wish I could live there

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Flight home $400.00

Total cost $2500.00

thats not bad. I havent broken down the cost like that but sask to b.c is about 1000-1200 each and was a bit cheaper to go to cooke city, the fuel was cheaper, the food was cheaper, trail passes are cheaper. but its 5 days riding and no guide for us.

we all throw in $350 for diesel, goes into a pot pays for all the trucks then they split the rest for the wear and tear on the trucks to the drivers.

nwoprormk

Reaction score
Its 5,097 KMs from the edge of NB to Revy according to google - 49 hrs driving time (average 100 kms/hr). Not sure about that as an average speed in the winter time on bad roads. So 2 days non-stop is doable. When you look at their lost time in wages for 48 hrs of driving each way - 4 days off work, plus food on top of the fuel $100), and let's just say $150 each for use of the truck. The fuel and truck use is up to $750 each round trip, not including 4 days off work (low ball it and say $250/day lost wages) - $1000 in lost wages for 4 days. The fuel cost pays for your flight, the lost wages almost pay for your sled rental. If they are not working anyway out in NB then the lost wages point is moot and driving probably becomes cheaper. You still need lodging and food on top while here regardless unless they stay in the trailer and don't eat, so you are looking at $250 in food for 4-5 days sledding (minimum). Their sleds aren't calibrated for out west, so they probably have to do some tweaking and there are some minor costs associated with that (maybe they don't bother) . If something breaks, they have to rent a sled anyway, but with an all inclusive package they just give you another loaner. Sled rental packages for 4 day/3 nights run between $1000-$1500 depending on what season you come to ride and include hotel, meals, gear, oil, trail passes etc etc. I got a $200 difference between the 2 with rough numbers and that doesn't factor in being on the winter roads for 4 days (how much is that worth in terms of personal safety to each guy is up to them) or any breakdowns on their personal sleds. Worth investigating a little more.
Truckingflying
fuel750flight1000
misc100300
hotel5000
food for sledding2500
lost wages10000
sled rental01500
Total26002800

Package costs about 1/2 way down the page. www.riderevelstoke.ca

Renting is super fun till u wipeout.The deductible will rain on the parade.Trust me I know from experience.Rather break my own sled.Have some say in how its repaired.....make youre sled better.....instead of just fixing a rental IMO

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Renting is super fun till u wipeout.The deductible will rain on the parade.Trust me I know from experience.Rather break my own sled.Have some say in how its repaired.....make youre sled better.....instead of just fixing a rental IMO

yes, a friend broke a throttle block on a polaris pro from a rental......got absolutely raped on the repair bill.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I dunno..

Road trips are great and all, but driving home for some reason really sucks. QE2 or the strip from Edson to E-town.. My god that's torture for me.. LOL

Truck can't go fast enough sometimes!

Top Bottom