Anyone on here drive from Ontario to ride out west?

Nagzs

Reaction score
I'm from Ontario and last year was my first year driving out west to ride. Just wondering if anyone else does this.

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Jesus, ontario? Im from sask and we drive to bc. 14 hours, ride 5 days and drive back. The guys i go with do it once a month, so about 5 or 6 times a winter. 3-4 trucks 3-5 guys a truck most of the time.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know of a few guys who drive from NB with a six place trailer to ride Revy. Pretty sure they are doing it again this winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Jesus, ontario? Im from sask and we drive to bc. 14 hours, ride 5 days and drive back. The guys i go with do it once a month, so about 5 or 6 times a winter. 3-4 trucks 3-5 guys a truck most of the time.

I've got to get in on one or more of these trips!

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know of a few guys who drive from NB with a six place trailer to ride Revy. Pretty sure they are doing it again this winter.

Have they priced out flying and renting instead? Like those 4-6 days of driving have got to be worth a few bucks in exchange.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have they priced out flying and renting instead? Like those 4-6 days of driving have got to be worth a few bucks in exchange.

I doubt it's cheaper.

It's two days doing the speed limit to drive. I have driven Halifax to Vancouver in three.

Airfare for each guy would likely run $600-800 plus getting to Revy. The rentals for a week, even five days is well over a grand I am sure. 5000-6000km drive probably $300 for every thousand km. be under $2000 each way in fuel split 5-6 as I can't recall if 5 or 6 guys did it. So $600 guy plus whatever they worked out for the use of the guys truck.

Be a decent road trip for sure.

HotShotHarry

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My Brother has driven out from Northern Ontario to ride here. Conversly.I drive to Ontario every year to ride there too! Lots of untouched snow to be trashed there as not many riders venture off the groomed trails. Keeps me going back for more!!!

assaultbear

Reaction score
We drive Winnipeg to Revy at least once per winter. Leave at 6pm and have breakfast in Calgary. Then to Revy and ride that afternoon. Couple more days then home to reality.

Nagzs

Reaction score
I drive out mid December get about 8 days or riding in, leave my truck and trailer in storage in Kelowna then fly home. Fly back out mid February and do the same thing. My last trip is over Easter then drive back home. The drive takes about 45 hours with gas stops to get to Kelowna, we drive straight through. Last year i was able to ride 21 days.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I drive out mid December get about 8 days or riding in, leave my truck and trailer in storage in Kelowna then fly home. Fly back out mid February and do the same thing. My last trip is over Easter then drive back home. The drive takes about 45 hours with gas stops to get to Kelowna, we drive straight through. Last year i was able to ride 21 days.
That's cool, and nice u get that many days in

Rbrduk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Wow, I live a lot closer and I don't get that many days in the mountains. Good on ya.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I doubt it's cheaper.

It's two days doing the speed limit to drive. I have driven Halifax to Vancouver in three.
Airfare for each guy would likely run $600-800 plus getting to Revy. The rentals for a week, even five days is well over a grand I am sure. 5000-6000km drive probably $300 for every thousand km. be under $2000 each way in fuel split 5-6 as I can't recall if 5 or 6 guys did it. So $600 guy plus whatever they worked out for the use of the guys truck.
Be a decent road trip for sure.
Its 5,097 KMs from the edge of NB to Revy according to google - 49 hrs driving time (average 100 kms/hr). Not sure about that as an average speed in the winter time on bad roads. So 2 days non-stop is doable. When you look at their lost time in wages for 48 hrs of driving each way - 4 days off work, plus food on top of the fuel $100), and let's just say $150 each for use of the truck. The fuel and truck use is up to $750 each round trip, not including 4 days off work (low ball it and say $250/day lost wages) - $1000 in lost wages for 4 days. The fuel cost pays for your flight, the lost wages almost pay for your sled rental. If they are not working anyway out in NB then the lost wages point is moot and driving probably becomes cheaper. You still need lodging and food on top while here regardless unless they stay in the trailer and don't eat, so you are looking at $250 in food for 4-5 days sledding (minimum). Their sleds aren't calibrated for out west, so they probably have to do some tweaking and there are some minor costs associated with that (maybe they don't bother) . If something breaks, they have to rent a sled anyway, but with an all inclusive package they just give you another loaner. Sled rental packages for 4 day/3 nights run between $1000-$1500 depending on what season you come to ride and include hotel, meals, gear, oil, trail passes etc etc. I got a $200 difference between the 2 with rough numbers and that doesn't factor in being on the winter roads for 4 days (how much is that worth in terms of personal safety to each guy is up to them) or any breakdowns on their personal sleds. Worth investigating a little more.
Truckingflying
fuel750flight1000
misc100300
hotel5000
food for sledding2500
lost wages10000
sled rental01500
Total26002800

Package costs about 1/2 way down the page. www.riderevelstoke.ca

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why is it lost wages? Vacation time bro. Never take vacation?

I work 4x4. Four days vacation gets me 12 off. Lots of people work shift work. Not unreasonable. I don't see why you would add in lost wages for driving vs flying.

Doesn't matter to me either way.

handyandy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm only 6 hours from fernie and I only went once last year, drove up Saturday night rode Sunday and was back working Monday morning. I wish I had job that gave more than 1 day off a week in winter.

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why is it lost wages? Vacation time bro. Never take vacation?

I work 4x4. Four days vacation gets me 12 off. Lots of people work shift work. Not unreasonable. I don't see why you would add in lost wages for driving vs flying.

Doesn't matter to me either way.

cause unless you love driving or sitting in a truck its a waist of time. Could be earning money or enjoying time off.... might as well be in jail for 4 days.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't see why this hurts people's feelings so much.

It's someone's choice to do it. They lose a day flying anyhow, then factor in how they get from a major airport to Revy as well. Shuttle? Rental car?

What if it's socked in and they want to go to sicamous for the day? Or better yet, hit golden or even Fernie on their trip. The possibilities are endless.

But whatever.

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't see why this hurts people's feelings so much.

It's someone's choice to do it. They lose a day flying anyhow, then factor in how they get from a major airport to Revy as well. Shuttle? Rental car?

What if it's socked in and they want to go to sicamous for the day? Or better yet, hit golden or even Fernie on their trip. The possibilities are endless.

But whatever.

we are just discussing it **** sakes. sounds like your feelings are hurt. go cry in a glass of doolade if you dont like it.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we are just discussing it **** sakes. sounds like your feelings are hurt. go cry in a glass of doolade if you dont like it.

Starting to sound a lot like Snowest.

You are obviously much to emotionally involved in such a simple discussion then. I would suggest investing your time in other less stressful tasks. Checkers?

And oh since you mentioned it I own a Pro.

Starting to wonder if it is the Doo guys who stir the pot or the Poo guys who won't let something go.

And to try and add to the original intent of the thread. I would make this trip in a heart beat if I lived out east.

Last edited:

Kakwasledder

Reaction score
I live within 2-3 hours of some of the best riding in northern BC. Yet, we still drove to Colorado last winter to ride there. Why? Because it was awesome. We stopped in West Yellowstone for a day and rode there and then it was off to Buena Vista to ride with Burandt. Would I do it again? You bet. Because road trips are awesome. We drove so we could ride our own sleds and pick and choose where to ride. Plus you get to spend time with your buddies. And get to see some fantastic scenery this country has to offer. A little tip, make sure to take radios with you so you can be in contact with all the trucks. It really makes the trip that much better. So I say, Road trip anyone.

HotShotHarry

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I prefer to drive too. Having your own wheels gives you independence to do and go where and when you want. Also the ability to bring a lot of extra stuff that would be somewhat restrictive if you were to fly and rent. Roadtrips are fun!

Top Bottom