Anyone dealing with diabetes?

rightsideup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In late September I was hospitalized for high blood sugars for 4 days. My doctor said I can make a full recovery. Anyone else dealing with diabetes and sledding and quading?

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep. Got type 2 in 2013.
My numbers stay pretty high usually.
Had a few lows. Can feel them.
Keep some candy bars in reach when I ride. I start shaking or my vision keeps blurring. Time for snack. Sit for a bit

rightsideup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You are you on for pills?
I since my release from hospital am on 15 units of insulin once in the am and metformen at breakfast and supper. I discontinued a drug called Jardines at noon as they figured I may have had a reaction to it. I was on the metfromen prior to my hospital visit as well

Reactions: RXN

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have suffered from Type 2 for 10 yrs now. I take Metformin and Invokana. The Invokana is one pill a day and totally changed my blood sugars to the good. Consistantly in the low 6's since then and eat what I want. As far as sledding I carry a couple chocolate bars as well when I get tired and need a lift.

rightsideup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are either one of you checking your sugars electronically?

nathan#19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Metformin will cause loss of apetite and weight loss over time.
Both my parents are dealing with that after using it for 10 years

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

rightsideup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Metformin will cause loss of apetite and weight loss over time.
Both my parents are dealing with that after using it for 10 years

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
I have been on it for about 8 yrs

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't check too much anymore.
The odd time I'll check my levels typically in the morning or if I'm feeling out of it

I take 5 metformin a day. (2 in the morning 1 at lunch 2 before bed)
4 Glicazide (2 in the morning 2 at night)
1 invokana
2 (3mg) of Rybelsus.

My doctors started me on 7mgs and I reacted to it. Ended up in emergency twice so knocked down to one 3mg tablet. And brought back to 6.

Tried again the 7s and got sick.

My doctor wants to move me to insulin. I've been holding off. My last A1C was 7.3 down from the 7.8 I was last year.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't check too much anymore.
The odd time I'll check my levels typically in the morning or if I'm feeling out of it

I take 5 metformin a day. (2 in the morning 1 at lunch 2 before bed)
4 Glicazide (2 in the morning 2 at night)
1 invokana
2 (3mg) of Rybelsus.

My doctors started me on 7mgs and I reacted to it. Ended up in emergency twice so knocked down to one 3mg tablet. And brought back to 6.

Tried again the 7s and got sick.

My doctor wants to move me to insulin. I've been holding off. My last A1C was 7.3 down from the 7.8 I was last year.
Insulin is the final remedy but if you aren’t on a plan of some kind it can cost you $800-$1000 a month I was told. We live in a country where if you are a man and want boobs to transition to a woman the government will cover the procedure but if you have diabetes tough luck.

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Insulin is the final remedy but if you aren’t on a plan of some kind it can cost you $800-$1000 a month I was told. We live in a country where if you are a man and want boobs to transition to a woman the government will cover the procedure but if you have diabetes tough luck.
Sad but true.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We ride with a fella on occasion that has type 2 diabetes. 90% of the time they are fine, but heavy exertion does funny things to blood sugars and it's easy to go low. 2 tips:

1. Let at least a couple of those you ride with know your situation, let them know where your sugar is and what symptoms to look for if you're low. So many people confuse low blood sugar for intoxication.
2. Don't tell anyone where your insulin or blood sugar lowering meds are! Far too many people will make the mistake of trying to give someone suffering hypoglycemia insulin, which could easily prove fatal.

SHREK1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Me for about 7 years now, pretty careful on intake. Don’t really monitor it but i should a bit more.

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My wife had her pancreas removed 9 years ago. She gets out sledding and dirt biking still. The game changer for us is a CGM. She uses the Dexcom g6 linked to her phone. Real time readings of blood glucose levels allows her to stay on top of it, and no more finger pricks. I couldn't imagine being an active diabetic without one.

She always packs lots of high carb snacks and drinks along with her fast acting insulin.

Bernoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im not on a plan so it cost me 100.00 every 2 weeks but it is a game changer for sure.

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im not on a plan so it cost me 100.00 every 2 weeks but it is a game changer for sure.
Yeah I think we are paying 299/month for her because the plan doesn't cover it. Although it sounds like they may be changing their policy to cover it soon which means more gas money.

Top Bottom