Alcohol + sledding

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
I'm not driving a school bus full of children T, I'm falling off a sled into snow.... and not because I'm drunk, but because I suck... the couple beer is a non factor....

I sure hope my kids' school bus driver doesn't have the same attitude towards alcohol as most of the posters in this thread.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hence the difference between having a few and being "impaired"....
you would have alcohol in your system if tested, levels would most likely be irrelevant when facing a lawsuit for negligence. just sayin

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
you would have alcohol in your system if tested, levels would most likely be irrelevant when facing a lawsuit for negligence. just sayin

Well I hope I never have to find that out first hand... in the mean time I will continue to enjoy a beer here and there while taking a break from sledding...

Happy holi..... fawk it... Merry Christmas

boydo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
im not a fan of people bringing booze up but thats their choice not mine. as said before I do dumb enough things without booze on the hill! for me i look at it as safety issue: your X km in the alpine, X kms up the trail, X kms from help. and besides thats what the end of the day is for! with the increased enforcement if im driving i wont have any in the parking lot after. another point for me is revy is an all day drive so why piss around and drink? if i cough my sled into the trailer on fumes thats the best day you could ask for!

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I hope I never have to find that out first hand... in the mean time I will continue to enjoy a beer here and there while taking a break from sledding...

Happy holi..... fawk it... Merry Christmas
lol...Merry Christmas Ian

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I sure hope my kids' school bus driver doesn't have the same attitude towards alcohol as most of the posters in this thread.

Your splitting hairs here Tee..... Comparing an occupation to a recreation.

That would be like me calling myself a trucker, because I drive a pick up.

thegeneral

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I also don't agree with drinking in the cabins when Kids around, unless the parents are also having a beer. I don't flaunt my choices, I have no issues sitting off on my own atop a peak with just me, a cold beer and a cool view.....[/QUOTE]

Interesting thought about when kids are around Bogger. I have noticed on several occasions in the cabins that there is a lack of courtesy towards kids in general. I've had to take my boy out of there a few times, its not worth getting into a fight just because you ask someone to watch their language.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
or calling you a moderator because you whined until they made your name green....

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I ALWAYS take 2 beer up with me, and 80% of the time come down with 2 beer. Sometimes one in the middle in the afternoon is good, and sometimes it's not needed. There has been times that I wished I never gave my second one away and would like more. But IMHO I see no wrong in having A beer in a afternoon of sledding, quadding or whatever. 6+.... ......

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When I was younger, much younger, I was at the lake sledding with some friends. We stopped at "fernando's" a colombian neighbour out there. We had some tequila, some beer, and some other quick shots.

Being young, stupid and all we went for a rip in the back of his property. There was a creek, which I forgot about and wanted to bust a drift on the other side. I had a little buzz going on, nothing too crazy... It was enough to forget about the hazards and I ripped across the field, slamming into the opposing creek edge drop off and going over the bars... Sled was a mess, and so was I. I couldn't walk very well for about a week.

Ever since then I said to myself "no more drinking and sledding"

I started sledding in the mountains a few years later, and still don't take any alcohol up with me, Some friends that started coming up to the mountains with us a few years later, were stuffing their seats full with beer, one guy bough a cat just because the seat could be hollowed out to carry a 15 pack. I refused to ride with them.

There are some guys that come up and take a few beers with them, I don't say anything. I will even accept the odd beer on the hill at lunch if someone offers..

When you see guys with the fake jerry cans, or even worse, they fill a jerry can with liquor, that's getting a little overboard.

I prefer to have a beer at the truck after loading up my sled... It just tastes so much better after a long day's ride.

All in moderation folks.

Here is a clip of some jerrycan drinkers..partying it up during the carnage at sugarbowl at a BIS.

Unedit carnage at the sugar bowl - YouTube

so are you insinuating that all the sledders slamming into one another were drunk? sure hope not looks more like the filmers to me.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

point is, why should it be viewed any different...you are in charge of a vehicle that may directly cause harm to others. whether getting paid, or paying to do it....does it make it any less reprehensible when you crash into a child after a few beers on your sled than if you were driving a bus? I can understand many would say "yes", but why?

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
or calling you a moderator because you whined until they made your name green....

Whined????????? I don't know whereTF you get your info, but whatever. Not going to deny that I wanted to be a Super Mod, and not going to deny that I would like to bew an Admin now. Maybe you should look in your own back yard first.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
point is, why should it be viewed any different...you are in charge of a vehicle that may directly cause harm to others. whether getting paid, or paying to do it....does it make it any less reprehensible when you crash into a child after a few beers on your sled than if you were driving a bus? I can understand many would say "yes", but why?

Huh....... That is a valid point Tee!!!

rsaint

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am not a fan of alcohol on the hill at all but every cabin garbage cans overflowing every day. There is a time and place but even 1 beer gets most on the road to bulletproof . Wonderfull thought is news saying 1 in 33 vehicles being driven in alberta are impaired so lets do it on sleds too.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you read my post, I didn't insinuate. I actually had 4 friends involved in that mess that day. Of course the filmers.

so are you insinuating that all the sledders slamming into one another were drunk? sure hope not looks more like the filmers to me.

Last edited:

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
seems to be everyone is beotching about someone being drunk on one beer, sorry unless yer 75 lbs i doubt it, i don't want to be near anyone who is intoxicated either, but an occasional beer is ok in my books. please it seems the bible thumpers are on the war path, maybe check your medication, cough syrup etc. if ya don't want a beer that is great, if ya accept one don't beotch, most who take a few beers in the pack sacks may drink one or two, and bring the rest to the truck or hand them out on the trail.

the end of the world is in 4 days so lighten up

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
duct tape and two snowmobile belts work great for temp. casts. Did one of you f....ers run into my sled up on the murray 10 years back. Of coarse the guy that did might not remember that day.

Top Bottom