Alcohol + sledding

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am not a fan of alcohol on the hill at all but every cabin garbage cans overflowing every day. There is a time and place but even 1 beer gets most on the road to bulletproof . Wonderfull thought is news saying 1 in 33 vehicles being driven in alberta are impaired so lets do it on sleds too.

the world is ending on the 21st also, maybe you could shout it out also.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When I was younger, much younger, I was at the lake sledding with some friends. We stopped at "fernando's" a colombian neighbour out there. We had some tequila, some beer, and some other quick shots.

Being young, stupid and all we went for a rip in the back of his property. There was a creek, which I forgot about and wanted to bust a drift on the other side. I had a little buzz going on, nothing too crazy... It was enough to forget about the hazards and I ripped across the field, slamming into the opposing creek edge drop off and going over the bars... Sled was a mess, and so was I. I couldn't walk very well for about a week.

Ever since then I said to myself "no more drinking and sledding"

I started sledding in the mountains a few years later, and still don't take any alcohol up with me, Some friends that started coming up to the mountains with us a few years later, were stuffing their seats full with beer, one guy bough a cat just because the seat could be hollowed out to carry a 15 pack. I refused to ride with them.

There are some guys that come up and take a few beers with them, I don't say anything. I will even accept the odd beer on the hill at lunch if someone offers..

When you see guys with the fake jerry cans, or even worse, they fill a jerry can with liquor, that's getting a little overboard.

I prefer to have a beer at the truck after loading up my sled... It just tastes so much better after a long day's ride.

All in moderation folks.

Here is a clip of some jerrycan drinkers..partying it up during the carnage at sugarbowl at a BIS.

Unedit carnage at the sugar bowl - YouTube

Yeah those guys are everything that is wrong with the sport......:tsk:

Kyle91rs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
point is, why should it be viewed any different...you are in charge of a vehicle that may directly cause harm to others. whether getting paid, or paying to do it....does it make it any less reprehensible when you crash into a child after a few beers on your sled than if you were driving a bus? I can understand many would say "yes", but why?

I agree with you there, but what I was talking about was literally one or two beer. If you hit someone fully intoxicated then by all means release the hounds and may god be with you cuz that said intoxicated person deserves the utmost worst punishment, especially if there's harm to others. I lost family members due to intoxicated idiots and that's changed my life in many ways. It all comes back to being responsible. As stated above, no one will be intoxicated after one beer, hell I know guys that can pound back a 24 and no one would be the wiser. It seems in today's day in age that having a sociable with your buds on vacation is the thing to do. I enjoy sipping a cold one looking out over the views the mountains portray. I do not condone the abuse of alcohol tho. That's what I'm tryin to get at. There's a line between being hammered and having a beer or two with friends, albeit, it's probably a very fine line but it's still there.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you read my post, I didn't insinuate. I actually had 4 friends involved in that mess that day. Of course the filmers.

the biggest problem with these events, is the riders are generaly sober, the spectators are drinking, a few get molsen muscle and then it can hit the fan. there will always be those that drink too much and can be a danger to others. people are people, they can be idiots sometimes.

Kyle91rs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There are some days when I pack up beer and they'll be drank before lunch, some days ill pack them up and they will all be nestled away when I get back to the truck that evening waiting for some attention. Point is, as long as no one got out of hand with it, no one got hurt, had a good day with friends a family (with or without alcohol), and everyone was responsible for their own mess, then I'd say there's nothing wrong with a couple sociables.

On a side note... LHF has been lingering around this thread almost all day... I'm wondering when he will sober up enough to share his thoughts on the matter....

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree with you there, but what I was talking about was literally one or two beer. If you hit someone fully intoxicated then by all means release the hounds and may god be with you cuz that said intoxicated person deserves the utmost worst punishment, especially if there's harm to others. I lost family members due to intoxicated idiots and that's changed my life in many ways. It all comes back to being responsible. As stated above, no one will be intoxicated after one beer, hell I know guys that can pound back a 24 and no one would be the wiser. It seems in today's day in age that having a sociable with your buds on vacation is the thing to do. I enjoy sipping a cold one looking out over the views the mountains portray. I do not condone the abuse of alcohol tho. That's what I'm tryin to get at. There's a line between being hammered and having a beer or two with friends, albeit, it's probably a very fine line but it's still there.
I know what you're saying, and a lot of the guys I ride with do the same. what I'm getting at is that any alcohol in your system after an incident, whether you live or die from it, is another reason to portray us all in the same light. not to mention finding fault when there is any litigation resulting from said incident. four words I don't want included in any accident I may be involved in are "alcohol was a factor". you know, and I know, many people that function well on 2 or 3 beers, but when they are examining a corpse or someone severely injured, our testimony that Joe can handle his liquor is meaningless. all that will be reported is that Joe was drinking.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i think we are close to the same page, T can't see a beer will haveyou slamming into anyone else. a few, yes. how about a few red bull, a bit of cold medication and a few coffee, were does it end. moderation is what counts.

around families and such i can leave the beer in the bag and drink a pop or water, and will have extra if knowing that is who i'll be riding with. all relavent. seen the drunks on the hills, i just leave the area.

Last edited:

Kyle91rs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know what you're saying, and a lot of the guys I ride with do the same. what I'm getting at is that any alcohol in your system after an incident, whether you live or die from it, is another reason to portray us all in the same light. not to mention finding fault when there is any litigation resulting from said incident. four words I don't want included in any accident I may be involved in are "alcohol was a factor". you know, and I know, many people that function well on 2 or 3 beers, but when they are examining a corpse or someone severely injured, our testimony that Joe can handle his liquor is meaningless. all that will be reported is that Joe was drinking.

Thats a good point. Again, it all comes down to that fine line. If you are in a high traffic area where there's a lot of people and a higher possibility of being involved in some sort of mishap, whether it be minor or severe, then no... Alcohol should be left in the back pack or truck or whatever. I've been at cabins in revy where there has been family oriented groups involving all age groups from barely being able to see over the handlebars to barely being able to see past the handlebars, no offense lol, and those are times when I have strayed away, led my group elsewhere to have a beer if that was our intentions. Comes back to being responsible. I wouldn't want people drinking around my kids in a sport where you're trying to teach them to be responsible and the do's and donts about everyday life. But common courtesy and common sense are two things that takes more then one s&m thread to teach people lol.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i think we are close to the same page, T can't see a beer will haveyou slamming into anyone else. a few, yes. how about a few red bull, a bit of cold medication and a few coffee, were does it end. moderation is what counts.

around families and such i can leave the beer in the bag and drink a pop or water, and will have extra if knowing that is who i'll be riding with. all relavent. seen the drunks on the hills, i just leave the area.
and we both know the alcohol may not even have anything to do with an accident. but it's simple presence just doesn't look good on anyone involved.

I will have a shot of butter ripple, or root beer schnapps if it's being passed, I would be in the same boat as anyone else.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
and we both know the alcohol may not even have anything to do with an accident. but it's simple presence just doesn't look good on anyone involved.

I will have a shot of butter ripple, or root beer schnapps if it's being passed, I would be in the same boat as anyone else.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...........................butter ripple.:thumb:

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i agree leave the drinkin for the motel, everyone is responsible for themselves and only have themselves to blame. leave the green and the drinks for the motel or home. clean the f--k up after yourselves. and cheer up, dec 21 is nigh.

d mills

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Always pack 2 beers for a 8-10 hour day on the hill. Are consumed in the presence of only my riding group (no cabin). Have always done this. Likely always will. And in my opinion it doesn't take away from the shot of scotch back at the hotel. Lol. Ride safe all.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9300 using Tapatalk

T-team

"big deal"
Reaction score
I think T has a pretty good point here but maybe saying it a little different... You are taking the same risk as you would be drinking beer than driving home.. Sure you might get there safe but if something happens.... Regardless how big or small then it is a big deal... For you...for the person or persons you injured and for the sport in general! Moderation may end up being your demise in a courtroom! Not going to deny I have a pop or two on the hill either but defiantly something to keep in the back of your mind before you do!

d mills

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think T has a pretty good point here but maybe saying it a little different... You are taking the same risk as you would be drinking beer than driving home.. Sure you might get there safe but if something happens.... Regardless how big or small then it is a big deal... For you...for the person or persons you injured and for the sport in general! Moderation may end up being your demise in a courtroom! Not going to deny I have a pop or two on the hill either but defiantly something to keep in the back of your mind before you do!

If I were in a collision in my vehicle that wasn't caused by me and my blood/alcohol level was 0.03 and I showed no signs of impairment would alcohol be a factor? This is a legit question.
Not just to you T-team but everyone.

T-team

"big deal"
Reaction score
If the police got involved absolutely it would be... If you have alcohol in your system at all and there is a collision or something it defiantly comes into play.... I
If I remember correctly I'm pretty sure insurance company's can pull the plug on you at that point......

T-team

"big deal"
Reaction score
If you are driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs, your insurance may be invalid. If your insurance policy contains a clause stating that the insurance policy is void if you were driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs, your insurance company may not pay for any damage you cause. You should check your policy for exclusion clauses listing circumstances and behavior that will invalidate your insurance coverage.

Read from an insurance site.

T-team

"big deal"
Reaction score
There will be a fine line on what they determine as under the influence... I would imagine .08 means nothing to them.

d mills

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If the police got involved absolutely it would be... If you have alcohol in your system at all and there is a collision or something it defiantly comes into play.... I
If I remember correctly I'm pretty sure insurance company's can pull the plug on you at that point......

Even though I passed a field sobriety test, didn't cause the accident and am under the legal limit......kinda makes you wonder why they bother having a legal limit if they can throw the book at you while obeying it. Not trying to start a fight......just internet thinking. Lol

Flatlander_01

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I love beer I love sledding it's only natural that I combine the two, just not to the point of being completely loose on the hill.

Top Bottom