Alberta Snowmobilers rescued

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if they were in fact in the national park than they should be charged there is no excuse

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's marked pretty good for the most part. I haven't been there for a few years but it's easy to see the signs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
It's marked pretty good for the most part. I haven't been there for a few years but it's easy to see the signs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

and it is also easy to miss the signs. I agree that they should have to pay for extrication and face the music of riding in the Park.

On the SW Alberta conditions thread someone threw out the idea of "rock cairns" to mark the boundary. I've always thought there was a better way for Parks to mark the boundary. Surely, there isn't a shortage of suitable rock, it is quite natural, and very little maintenance.

Last edited:

RaspberryNytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There are a few spots where you can actually "cross" or "drop" into the park. Some areas are very well marked where there is the majority of the traffic, but there will be some other areas that won't be clearly marked ( how closely grouped together they have the signs ).
That being said, the story says that they were waiting for S and R at a small cabin. This could be the old cabin in Cabin Valley or they could have got back down to the main cabin. I'm betting most people wouldn't even know where the old cabin is, due to the age of it and being tucked away in the overgrown trees.
I'm betting they went up to the left or right at the end of cabin valley and dropped in to the point of no return and hiked back out.
I've seen people first hand drop down into the PARK out the back of Area 51 and 52, and then ask them what they're doing down there ????? They tell me that they "just found this untouched area that no one else has ridden yet". haha.

If anyone is wondering if this has happened before... YES it has :(

But i also know of many people over the years that used to take short cuts from Gorman to Quartz that meant you had to ride thru the Park, but don't know if thats still an issue.

dpolacik

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wasn't with them but know two of the involved. From what I am told they followed other tracks in and seen no signs even when hiking out. They where picked up and brought back to cabin by a rider they new that was in the area and heard what happened. They have been in contact with all authorities and regret there mistake and will take what ever punishment is decided while hoping this doesn't effect anyone else.

Anything else will have to be answered by them as it is all hear say coming from Me!!

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wasn't with them but know two of the involved. From what I am told they followed other tracks in and seen no signs even when hiking out. They where picked up and brought back to cabin by a rider they new that was in the area and heard what happened. They have been in contact with all authorities and regret there mistake and will take what ever punishment is decided while hoping this doesn't effect anyone else.

Anything else will have to be answered by them as it is all hear say coming from Me!!
would you say these fellas you know are experienced riders or new to the sport?

slededjr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wonder how bad they'll be punished? Hopefully nothing comes back on sledders in general.

Chump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just another reason why GPS can come in handy. Parks are clearly marked. I don't know why people don't have this simple piece of equipment when venturing into the back country.

Chump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Definitely glad they made it out ok. But really there should be no reason for riding in parks. This keeps happening were going to see more and more areas shut down.

dpolacik

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
would you say these fellas you know are experienced riders or new to the sport?

Not new to Sport but New to Mountains. That is for the Two I know,the other two cant say.

Last edited:

Riverjet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All the years I have been sledding I always knew where I was and where I wasn't supposed to go. If they want their sleds back it goes without saying they will be paying for it. If they don't pay for it Parks Canada will and will keep their sleds until they pay the bill. No excuse for "accidentally" going where they weren't supposed to.

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All the years I have been sledding I always knew where I was and where I wasn't supposed to go. If they want their sleds back it goes without saying they will be paying for it. If they don't pay for it Parks Canada will and will keep their sleds until they pay the bill. No excuse for "accidentally" going where they weren't supposed to.

So you have NEVER rode out of bounds in Mcbride on the Renshaw out towards Alberta. Accidentally is just that, but hey Hang em and Hang em high!.

My thoughts are the same for every riding area. Years ago you were happy as a pig in mud to get to the cabin. Now we blow by that at 60 mph in about 15mins from the truck. Sleds take us further faster and signs need to be doubled or mandatory GPS enforced. Todays society isn't prone to thinking on there own and if a track leads a direction they just go.

I myself don't like relying on others to make my way and know where I am at all times but I'm also not a spring chicken and maybe a little more mature then the younger or inexperienced.

Riverjet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did you read my post?

So you have NEVER rode out of bounds in Mcbride on the Renshaw out towards Alberta. Accidentally is just that, but hey Hang em and Hang em high!.

My thoughts are the same for every riding area. Years ago you were happy as a pig in mud to get to the cabin. Now we blow by that at 60 mph in about 15mins from the truck. Sleds take us further faster and signs need to be doubled or mandatory GPS enforced. Todays society isn't prone to thinking on there own and if a track leads a direction they just go.

I myself don't like relying on others to make my way and know where I am at all times but I'm also not a spring chicken and maybe a little more mature then the younger or inexperienced.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just another reason why GPS can come in handy. Parks are clearly marked. I don't know why people don't have this simple piece of equipment when venturing into the back country.

Not true in all cases, it is the maps that you enter into your GPS that may display the parks. Mine does not show them.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use a 120 rhino gps that's basic, does not show parks at all

I use it only for where we have been and where the truck is, and certain other points marked

I find the newer ones with roads ect, all confusing and hard to find quickly where u are, where to go and where u have been

Chump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You should try and figure out the map packs. I've got the Ab BC back roads. It is absolutely amazing the amount of information in these packs. I would highly recommend them to anyone using GPS.

Top Bottom