800HO rebuild or rings?

swampy45

Reaction score
Ive got about 4000km on my 800HO, still runnning strong and pulling equal and strong compression. I know I am probably pushing my luck with it starting to lose compresion, so I want some opinions. Should I just do the rings, or do my top end? Any suggestions on a top end kit to drop in? Thanks in advance.

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Change the pistons, no question. Many good choices for drop in dual ring pistons available. I liked the MCB or SPI stuff

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you like buying new shortblocks, do just the rings.

Mine looked great, still had machine marks on intake side of pistons, but a skirt broke and the whole bottom end was done also.

sick1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Whats wrong with stock pistons? 4000 trouble free km no good? I"ve pulled more dead two ringers down the mountain than single ring stockers, With way less km on them.. I never would especially spi.. You will be sorry... lol

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've had good luck with SPI in the series three 800 that was eating three bottles a day and in a triple running 8800 rpm, not sure why yours didn't last.
Way to many engines had skirts fail and trash the entire engine with stockers but glad you had good luck with them.

duck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I went with MCB dual ring on my 2010 renegade. 2000 km's last year. I also replaced the wrist pin bearings in the kit with BRP ones. Lots of posts on Dootalk of failures of the chinese cheaply made wrist pin bearings supplied.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There was a recall on them a couple of years back. I think they are ok now.
I went with MCB dual ring on my 2010 renegade. 2000 km's last year. I also replaced the wrist pin bearings in the kit with BRP ones. Lots of posts on Dootalk of failures of the chinese cheaply made wrist pin bearings supplied.

_Adrian_

Reaction score
Whats wrong with stock pistons? 4000 trouble free km no good? I"ve pulled more dead two ringers down the mountain than single ring stockers, With way less km on them.. I never would especially spi.. You will be sorry... lol

I have a rebuilt 800HO with the SPX pistons and I'm at 3 season / 5300KM and still have 150PSI per hole.
Its all about the warmup and maintenance schedule really.

Also when I rebuilt it EVERYONE on Dootalk told me its going to "squeak" for sure as my piston to wall tolerance was way below spec ( 0.0015 / 0.0017 )
Still ridding it and running cheapish oil ( Shell Gold ) compared to the OEM BRP full synthetic.

swampy45

Reaction score
alright, so I'm doing the rebuild... Is it mandatory to pull the engine or can it be done as is? Havent rebuilt an engine, so this should be interesting...

pizalm

Reaction score
You can redo the top end in the sled. But it's only couple more steps to pull the block and do it on the bench.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Take a close look at your carb boots as well, they were brutal those years. I'd pressure test the motor while you are at it.

Top Bottom