7.3L or 6.0L

swatter

Reaction score
Should i stay with the old 2002 ford f350 7.3 or go with a 2007 ford f250 6.0L.
Anyone have anything good to say about the 6L

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
keep the 7.3 the new 6.0 and 6.4 motors are absolute garbage the 7.3 is a sweet @$$ motor don't do something dumb and sell it

gro4u

Reaction score
Call Colin at Camrose Diesel injection. 780 672 5309 He knows quite a bit about these different engines and the problems they all have. He is biased against chev and is a bit old school but he knows his stuff and does great work on all models. If this sounds like a commercial it's not meant to but he is my brother, he's a sledder, and he knows his stuff.

ZEDNECK

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
go with the 7.3l. ours is at 310000 with no issues and thats right to the floor everywhere it goes

ttpowersports

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And you haven't changed injector o'rings,.. hmmm interesting

As to the OP stick with the 7.3

I agree with keeping the 7.3 i had a 99 super cab with only 150 km on and was convinced to upgrade to a 06 crew cab 6 litre. was told the 6 litre had more torque and hp....BULLLLLSHITTTT.... just turned over 90,000 on the 6 litre and its alot better now but it was a pig on fuel till i got 6 k then got better at 10 and continued to get better... i have a bullydog on it. have never heard much good about the 6.4 and if i ever find a low mileage loaded crew with a 7.3....ill be gett in out the check book...

but thats my opinion.....

Terry

bigdaddy35

Reaction score
I have both a 2000 7.3 and '07 6.0.

So far, I can't complain about the 6.0. I know about the EGR and head gasket troubles, but I have no plans on adding a tuner or other mods to the 6.0 (yet) so I'm not too concerned. I've read all the horror stories about this engine, but I've also heard from many happy owners. Good maintenance and let it warm up before working the truck hard and I believe it should last as long as the 7.3. Don't expect better MPG on the 6.0.

For ease of maintenance/repairs, the 7.3 is a piece of cake with little that seems to go wrong. CPS (fixed once by me and once on recall), GPR and alternator were the only engine troubles I had, the front wheel bearing assembly/hub being a problem and the tranny replaced at 150,000 (truck now has 325,000).

I can't yet comment on ease of repairs for the 6.0 because all I've done so far is change the oil every 5,000km, flush the coolant system at 100,000km and replace u-joints. (Truck has 115,000km) I'll be adding a coolant system filter when I have time and changing the fuel filters at 120K.

Both my trucks have worked hard, but rarely go over 5,000km without an oil change. I'll usually change it early if I know I may go over, on a road trip. I use motorcraft oil/filter from ford on the 6.0 and Fram/Castrol in the 7.3. Green coolant in the 7.3 and gold OEM coolant from ford in the 6.0.

From what I know, if you want to add mods/tuner, stick with the 7.3.

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm a diesel mech. I really dont like the 6.0 cause its a remove the cab engine. I have seen many run strong once they were free of the additional crap. Big power no BS, just a great diesel. I see the same with the 6.4, we were the first to screw with them (that i know of) and now have real numbers on MPG at near 30. Some at 33, but 28 is a real person, real engine, reality. 50 state and Canada illegal mods. Y

7.3 was a bullet proof engine that is in the class of the 5.9 cummins.

Non-intercooled injector re-seal 4 hours.
Intercooled...............takes a bit more.

UkrainianMudKing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you have money to burn go with the 6.0L. If you want a bullet proof powerstroke go with the 7.3.

Linkz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've had a 7.3, 6.0 and still have a 6.4.
7.3 truck was okay, gutless stock, cam timing sensor kept crapping out leaving me strandad more than once either than that a good ol truck. The 6.0 was a PIECE OF CRAP, tranny, headgasket, egr valve, turbo, front end, everything needed repairs, good thing it all happened during the warranty period, truck was in the shop 2 dozen times, no exageration. I actually just traded it off on a platinum 150 and couldn't be happier with less of a truck. The 6.0 (the stock one i had) out pulled all of the trucks my friends have of all brands with the newest being an '09 Dodge, its just a matter of if the truck will stay together long enough to make it up the hill! The 6.4 has been flawless for unexpected repairs, hate the mileage, love the ride.

sweld

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have the 06 6.0L 160000kms on it its been a welding truck all its life,had it since new, put a tuner in it at first but after the usual heads and egr stuff havent put it back in and its been pretty much flawless no tranny trouble no front end trouble etc, seems the more km i put on it the better its getting getting 16-18mpg with the welding skid in, and its been put through its paces

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My old work truck was a 7.3. I put 375K and a zillion idle time hours on it then sold it to a buddy and it's still going strong. I put 8 glow plugs, 1 controller, water pump, belt and 3 CPS, had the injectors o-ringed under warranty at 40k. It's cost way less to keep on the road than my 5.9 Cummins. I'd keep your 7.3.

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
WTF? Stay with the 7.3..........

Should i stay with the old 2002 ford f350 7.3 or go with a 2007 ford f250 6.0L.
Anyone have anything good to say about the 6L

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I , myself know of 4 people who have had problems with their 6.0

From bad injectors to blown head gaskets. They seemed ok unless you towed, or programmed.
It's funny how every once in a while you see the odd 6 litre with white smoke coming down the road, then they pull over.

The head bolts are weak. If you replace them with the ARP studs, and a new gasket you fix that problem. EGR delete is another fix.
So many, when it's not even cold out, start like it's 40 below..

smokindiesel

Reaction score
Put a little money into your 7.3, it'll cost less than the 6.0. I work on a lot 6.0s, they have great power but are unrelieable. They have been know to die with no warning, and befor the tow bill it can cost aboiut $2500 for the high pressure oil pump that cuased it to die. Head gaskets go regularaly, even on stock engines. The EGR systems need to be deleted right off the batt or it can cuase you greif. 7.3 barly ever leave you stranded, you may have to limp home but you still got home. As for the new 6.4 i think its a nightmare and you need to delete the DPF and wreck your waranty if you want decent millage. Haven't heard much on the 6.7, but it does look promising, I would stick to a dodge or chev if you get a new truck, they just seam easyer to work on.

badss

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've got a 7.3 Shortbox dually quad cab with the 7.3 and the thing is awesome. Best engine Ford put in a truck for many years. I know some of the mechanics at our local Ford dealership and the one guy that was doing some work on mine for me was almost begging me to sell it to him. My uncle is also a Heavy duty mechanic for years and years....runs and services tour coaches and he said the same thing....run it till the body falls off.....best engine Ford ever put in a truck. They can make gobs of torque and hopped up....they make great pullers....not just saying cause I own one....they are in a league of their own and the 6 litre is not even comparable in my opinion and in the opinion of 1000's that have had head gasket issues with some of the newer ones. Again not to knock the other engines or people that own them....I did my research and if you really want to know....try and speak to a Ford Technician that will give you open feedback or go onto powerstroke forum....sign up and ask the same question....there are experts on that site that will be really open and honest with you....let us know how you make out. Take care ....hope it helps
BADSS

Top Bottom