550 F gas problems

monsterxlr8

Reaction score
So I have a 550 fan cooled summit that is acting up a little. It starts fine, idles fine, but when you start to move it seemed to choke or drain the fuel from the bowls of the Carb's. It sputters and dies then if you wait a couple of minutes it starts right back up until you drain the gas out of the bowls on the carbs. I was thinking that it might be ice in a line somewhere because once the sled warms up it run flawlessly but it takes about 45 min of the sled stalling out every 30 feet. I had thought that what ever was causing it would be worked through once the sled was running right again. But every time the sled sits over night and it is cold it does the same things. Real frustrating. Any ideas?

xmsummit154

Reaction score
Not sure myself but do they have fuel pumps on the 550 fan. Do they have fuel filters?? When were the carbs cleaned last? Collapsed fuel line?? Have seen this one happen before. Hope this helps.

monsterxlr8

Reaction score
The carbs were just cleaned and rejetted. I thought that if it was a fuel filter problem that it wouldn't clear up once the motor got warmed up. I will double check the fuel lines. I don't know if it has a fuel pump or just siphone system. Cause if you try to start the sled to quickly after it stalls out it won't start but if you wait for a minute or two then give it a pull it starts right up. So it might be a fuel line compressing. I am going to dump some gas line antifreeze in and see what happens.

Last edited:

xmsummit154

Reaction score
yah gas line antifreeze will eliminate the ice potential . Try to find out if they have a fuel pump or fuel filter. I know you can try putting some air psi in the fuel tank when it starts to stall and if it solves the problem it would indicate the fuel pump is weak or filter is partially plugged off.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No gas line antifreeze.... bad bad thing to do
Gas line antifreeze will separate the oil from gas... Not a good thing for 2 smokes

Isopropyl alcohol or sea foam is what to use...

sent while I should be drinking tea's

monsterxlr8

Reaction score
No luck yet with figuring this out. The sea foam didn't seem to make any improvement. I is smoking more now but still acting up. Put sled in the shop with some heat. Next thing is fuel filter and pump to look at I guess. Let the fun and game begin.

monsterxlr8

Reaction score
Well it looks like it must have been water frozen up somewhere in the system. After letting the sled thaw overnight it runs like a top again. Must not of gotten the sea foam through to where the ice was. Ran the sled for a couple of hours working it pretty hard in the waist deep snow we have.

monsterxlr8

Reaction score
Yes it is ridicules. There is so much snow that my 13 year old boy riding riding the 550 summit is getting stuck anytimelets off the throtle. When I am towing my daughter on her GT I am running 7600 _ 7800 RPM s and only doing 35 _ 40 KPH acording to the gps. If we had sme good hills it would be almost like riding in the mountians. My wife loves it now I am looking for a sled for her.

Top Bottom