500 sportsman bogging out

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the only time a polaris is hooked to a honda is when the honda is getting pulled. polaris = official honda rescue unit. besides the polaris is to heavy for anything to pull. rmksledder knows what happened the last time a suzuki tried to pull me. just switch your plastic and your brothers. he will never know the difference. lol. snorkels are getting cut down a bit today. under the handlebars. you get your exhaust or tires?

i would try just let your sit there and run for like half hour. this winter i could barely get mine started. after like 3 months of hard starting i let it run for like half hour and it has been good ever sinse.

sledobsessed

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
o trust me the honda had some troubles pulling but it made it:) almost didnt make it up a small hill on the road

rmksledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my brother was right beside me when i read that.Why you cutting your snorkles down?lol I got a new feul filter today 30 BUCKS!:realmad:but my pipe was in the boxes at boundary and they were to lazy to dig them out. You should get some chrome bed rails for your snorkles they'll never get knocked off.lol:D

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my brother was right beside me when i read that.Why you cutting your snorkles down?lol I got a new feul filter today 30 BUCKS!:realmad:but my pipe was in the boxes at boundary and they were to lazy to dig them out. You should get some chrome bed rails for your snorkles they'll never get knocked off.lol:D

if the old chick would have been working she would have got it out. she was the best parts person. gave me discounts and stuff. i thin she quit. i cut the snorkels down so they are under the top of the handlebars. got them done already. now i am going to put my stock spring back in my clutch. you can get a fuel filter from bumper to bumper for 10 bucks. they have to order it in but they get it over night. i should have gave you the number. its a fram. i am using it on my bike. those bed rails are expensive. plus i have no way to attach them to the rack. can't wait to hear you bike. even though it will sound like mine. not quite as loud because you will have all the packing in it. i don't have any in mine. i love it when you let off the gas and it back shifts. are you guys going to come to onion lake this weekend?

Reaction score
I have the same machine and my issue with bogging turned out to be a dirty air filter. I had submerged my quad several times and silly me always assumed that it was a sealed unit and I wasn't getting water over the seat so I was ok. The bogging would happen only on demand. Once I took the air filter out and replaced it with a clean one my quad ran fine.

rmksledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No it was the new chick in there and she doesnt have a clue. she was even the same woman that ordered it for me.I change my fuel filter 30 bucks later lo9l and it seems to have fixed it.Dads still shaking his head at me for getting ''that loud usless thing''i just shake my head back.But ya im so siked for the onion lake rally.Do you know how long it is.

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it is about as long as the loon lake rally. usually with 3x the water and less mud. just let your bike run for like 15 minutes to get it cycling good. and if there is any crap in the line it will get it out.

rmksledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I changed my filter and it runs excelent the front end lifts it would lift higher if i could get my tires then i could get some tracktion. lol

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
o ya got them done. got the clutch finished except one of the bolts broke when i took it out. boundary doesn't have them in stock so i just used a hardware bolt for a temporary for the weekend. now i just got to redo how i connect the the snorkels to the belt cover.

Skegmeister

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have an 03 SP 500 HO. I like to hit swamp and water hard up until last summer when I did have to be towed home a couple times after splashing around. This winter I tore everything off the machine to find where the short was causing the quad to sputter and bog out.
So after water proofing all of the wiring under the cowling, I decided to change out the spark plug since I had the plactic off and guess what I found!
The plug wire was sitting lightly on top of the plug, when I treied to remove the plug, I found that the plug hole was filled with mud and the little drain hole was plugged. I throughly cleaned up the plug well, cleaned out the drain and now the problem is fixed, no more bogging or dieing out in the middle.
Hope this helps.:beer:

rsrogersnt

Reaction score
I had that problem in deep water - the intake snorkel for the bike is under the tank cover and when you hit water the steam from your exhaust goes under and that is all your bike has to breath. I will bog real bad til you get out. If you hit it had under heavy throttle it will die all together. Snorkel time - I had to and it never happen again. Good luck. hope this helps.

Top Bottom