4 stroke brand opinons?

moparmatt

Reaction score
well finally switching to a 250f but i cant seem to decide which brand to go with, ive rode a buddys 08crf250 and it seems to have a fair bit of power and jumps nice and is a very smooth bike, but i have heard they have weak top ends along with the kawasaki 250f, i was set on getting a 2010 kx250f but i am maybe leaning a little more towards the yz250f i was wondering if anyones had troubles with a 09 or 10 yzf250?

synergycycle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well finally switching to a 250f but i cant seem to decide which brand to go with, ive rode a buddys 08crf250 and it seems to have a fair bit of power and jumps nice and is a very smooth bike, but i have heard they have weak top ends along with the kawasaki 250f, i was set on getting a 2010 kx250f but i am maybe leaning a little more towards the yz250f i was wondering if anyones had troubles with a 09 or 10 yzf250?

I have a budy who races and he said the 2010 yz 250f is the best bike he has ever owend. I have a hopped up 2007 ktm 250 sxf and I love it. the kx 250f has an awsome felling but im no sure about the motor. ive never riddin a crf so iduno. stay away from the rmz, the feel like a semi. if your guna buy a 2010 why not get the all new ktm 350 sxf? you will be the moast popular guy on s&m :d

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What sort of riding do you do? Only MX? Or do you ride trails? It can eliminate some options.

I own an '09 KX250F. I bought it because it was the cheapest of all the 250's around when I was looking. It was even cheaper than used ones. I have ridden a few other bikes, but I have the suspension set up for me on the KX so it makes a huge difference. So I will try and give some unbiased opinions.

Now the difference between 2010 and 2011 bikes also comes into play.

2010 KX250F - Carburated - 2011 KX250F Fuel Injected. KX's Suspension, frame and motor went through many changes for the '09 and keeps getting better.

The RM250F's are pretty much the little brother of the KX's, almost identical in design and use many of the same motor parts.

2010 CRF250 - fuel injected, all around reliable bike.

KTM's, usually a little more retail, holds well for resale, Orange is really cool too. Know lots of people with the KTM's and they really seem like great bikes.

Don't really know anyone with a YZ.

read this review of the 250's, hard to argue that the KX isn't a contender and can be had for a good deal at local dealers right now.

REAL TESTS! 2010 MXA 250 FOUR-STROKE SHOOTOUT: CRF250 vs.YZ250F vs TC250 vs KX250F vs 250SXF | News | Motocross Action Magazine

As mentioned the new KTM 350 sounds awesome, if I was going to replace my current bike, this is the bike I would likely buy.

I haven't mentioned CRF250X because I don't know if you ride trails, if you do, I would strongly encourage you to look at it.

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I believe that all bikes have their good and bad, some people buy a bike and are happy with it for years and ride the crap out of it, others buy one and don't like it as much and keep buying others until they find the one they like (like me...on bike # 3). "To each thier own". And obviously most people are biased to the brands they ride so don't be fooled, buy one that suits you, your riding style and your budget best. It is still good to ask people their opinions of bikes they ride or have ridden to get ideas though. I think with all the brands, they all had their good years and bad years too. I think your most expensive, and highest quality are going to come from Honda & KTM. Yamaha, Kawi, Suzuki are all great bikes too, probably cheaper to maintain and parts more readily available. I hate how expensive it is to buy parts for my bike, but it is a powerful, strong and reliable machine. To be slightly biased to my brand, the thing i like most about KTM is they offer such a wide variety of bikes to suit everyone's needs and style and like everyone else has mentioned... these 350F's I think are going to be quite popular! Anyway, good luck finding and choosing a bike!

synergycycle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The only bikes i would buy is Ktm, Honda, and kawisaki. aparently the new yamies feel SLOOOOOOOOOW. The sxf 250 has been a decent bike for me. It was a great transition from my old CR 125.

jbb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yzf is a solid bike. you cant go wrong with it. crf's had bog problems until they went efi. not impressed with the kxf's that ride with us. ktm is a solid bike. hold resale value better to.

suzuki_ryder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All the brands have "problems". Most of them were probably result of lack of maintenence. I've got 150+ hours on my 2008 KX250F and it's gone everytime I want to go. cleaned the air filter every 3rd ride if the track wasn't dusty, and changed the oil every 3rd ride. Engine oil and Foam filter oil are cheaper than a motor. And don't use car oil, motorcycle oil has an anti-foaming agent in it since the transmission shares the engine oil (with the exception of honda). Car oil= engine foam, engine foam= lack of lubrication, lack of lubrication=no more fun, and one hell of a head ache. No matter what bike you end up with you'll like it, just pick the colour you want to be seen on.

dirtbiker77

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a Group i ride with and we all have different bikes and play musical bike all the time. i have tryed em all and i must say ill hope back on my kawi.

The honda 09 has balls lots of top speed and wins all the time in 5th

The RMZ 09 well it was a previous purchase of mine...avoid em. there not realli balanced and kind of takes extra effort to ride. feels like a quad.

The KTM 09 gotta say not a bad buy at all. Loved the transmission and the overall feeling of the bike. With the ktm you adapt to the bike instantly and is immidate confidence when ya launch through the air.

YFZ 2010 well there a different bike in general. i was not impressed with performance at all. was the slowest i found. the bike felt good and handling was great in the sharp turns. but maintance is very key with the yammies just like any other bike.

Now the KXF i love my bike its also a 09 and well it has a few more add ons then the rest but i will always hurry for a switch up back to my bike. im 130 pounds and there big bikes ( im short) :d but the Kawi performance is amazing the bottom end grunt is killer and you got to hang on tight. the bikes suspention is plush and never lands hard. I love my green machine and there cheaper and very reliable. loved my kawi's i have an 06 and an 09 ( 06 for sale)

hope i helped ya out but if you looking for brand brand new then alot of the bikes just all improved alittle no major changes besides fuel injection. 2011 kawi is next on my list. 250 with fuel injection = balls to the wall fast!

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a Group i ride with and we all have different bikes and play musical bike all the time. i have tryed em all and i must say ill hope back on my kawi.

The honda 09 has balls lots of top speed and wins all the time in 5th

The RMZ 09 well it was a previous purchase of mine...avoid em. there not realli balanced and kind of takes extra effort to ride. feels like a quad.

The KTM 09 gotta say not a bad buy at all. Loved the transmission and the overall feeling of the bike. With the ktm you adapt to the bike instantly and is immidate confidence when ya launch through the air.

YFZ 2010 well there a different bike in general. i was not impressed with performance at all. was the slowest i found. the bike felt good and handling was great in the sharp turns. but maintance is very key with the yammies just like any other bike.

Now the KXF i love my bike its also a 09 and well it has a few more add ons then the rest but i will always hurry for a switch up back to my bike. im 130 pounds and there big bikes ( im short) :d but the Kawi performance is amazing the bottom end grunt is killer and you got to hang on tight. the bikes suspention is plush and never lands hard. I love my green machine and there cheaper and very reliable. loved my kawi's i have an 06 and an 09 ( 06 for sale)

hope i helped ya out but if you looking for brand brand new then alot of the bikes just all improved alittle no major changes besides fuel injection. 2011 kawi is next on my list. 250 with fuel injection = balls to the wall fast!

What's the '06 worth?

clint/KTM/16

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If your leaning toward honda get a brand new one. the older ones are a joke for reliability. the valves are garbage and the top ends are as well always replacing them. I had a 2005 CRF 250R and it was P.O.S it had power and was a decent bike. but fixed more than i rode it. KTM`s are nice as above stated! lol good luck with your purchase I hope you get a nice bike!!!:beer::beer::beer::beer:

dirtbiker77

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I found that the valve sitation with the honda's was solved in 08. so dont go older than that. buddie of mine has an 06 and he basically went out and bought the package of shims cause well before every ride he had to check clearance. P.O.S is correct. and if your buying off the show room floor go Green, Red, or Orange. Ktm is a great bike just a little more cash. And i dont know for sure but i think parts and stuff or even more alittle pricy

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
KTM parts are more expensive for sure, wether you are fixing or doing mods/performance. simple things like clutch levers are 30-40 bucks a peice, my YZ levers were like 10 bucks... just a minor example of the price difference... but everyone I know who has KTM loves em and swears by their quality and performance. Definitely happy with mine so far! Glad I didn't go with the KX100 cuz mine is so much nicer to ride and more power.I have been told by many people my little 105 goes like a 125 on steroids, but I definitely don't care to find out, hence why I am installing a fly wheel weight to tone the power down a notch lol.

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nope, thats the other problem too.. Only 2 dealers in Edmonton. Good thing I rarely need parts for mine :)

TheLonelyIsland

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

anything yamaha is good!:d

Top Bottom