22LR Ammo shortage

byronkentgraham

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
never heard of that... what would it be close to? .308? odviously military? Cheap ammo? The reason I ask is id like a bigger calibre cheap ammo gun... looking at SKS... seems like a fun little gun to shoot and rounds are cheap

SKS shoot 7.62x39. They are the best coyote guns in the world. If you can get ammo for around $0.14 a shell. A .308 is a better round but much more expensive. They're aren't overly accurate, but with up to 5 follow ups that's not a problem. In terms of plinking guns they are above and beyond a .223.

A couple tips for buying SKS.
Make sure it's Russian. Norinco are garbage. They will blow up in your face. It happened to a buddy lasts year.
Make sure you get the sight adjuster with it.
Don't buy them with any sort of scope or red dot sight. The way the guns made you can never get them in the right spot because of the action.

Last edited:

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
never heard of that... what would it be close to? .308? odviously military? Cheap ammo? The reason I ask is id like a bigger calibre cheap ammo gun... looking at SKS... seems like a fun little gun to shoot and rounds are cheap

What are you shooting at ?

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What are you shooting at ?

NOthing really... just a good kick around gun... i want something bigger then my plinking 10/22 to make it more fun.. i know others disagree but i find shooting guns fun... don't get me wrong i got other expenses but they just seem like a good deal right now...

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
do you hunt deer?

Guessing no,,but look at a .223/.556 or .243 or a 22/250

they are fun as well.and cheaper than .308 shells.

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And i agree I find shooting very relaxing,,even if they just paper targets

yes, i love to hunt... came here in 2009 shot a huge whitetail and its been downhill ever since... lol... sorry wrong thread...

I haven't shot my 10/22 in years but my boy is getting older and will start shooting more soon! This thread caught my eye cause I seem to be the guy that always finds out too late... start every day a dollar short and an hour late...

I do agree i love a .22/50 great gun! Really i like the sks for the cheap easy to get ammo... keep a supply of 5k rounds just encase western society ever melts down... no im not phyco... but if guns were ever made illegal id throw it in a pvc pipe filled with axle greease an burry the thing... in the mean time it looks fun to shoot... in my safe, I have 2x 30.06, 10/22, pump action 12 gauge, and a 4.10 non of which a very nice... just what i need.

To keep on this thread... im going to walmart tomorrow to check out prices cause i love their federal bricks of .22 LR ammo it's been over 5 years can someone tell me what a reasonable rate is?

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
I bought 2000rds of federal 22LR at bass pro ,,i think they were on sale at 26 or $28 for each box of 525/box
yes, i love to hunt... came here in 2009 shot a huge whitetail and its been downhill ever since... lol... sorry wrong thread...

I haven't shot my 10/22 in years but my boy is getting older and will start shooting more soon! This thread caught my eye cause I seem to be the guy that always finds out too late... start every day a dollar short and an hour late...

I do agree i love a .22/50 great gun! Really i like the sks for the cheap easy to get ammo... keep a supply of 5k rounds just encase western society ever melts down... no im not phyco... but if guns were ever made illegal id throw it in a pvc pipe filled with axle greease an burry the thing... in the mean time it looks fun to shoot... in my safe, I have 2x 30.06, 10/22, pump action 12 gauge, and a 4.10 non of which a very nice... just what i need.

To keep on this thread... im going to walmart tomorrow to check out prices cause i love their federal bricks of .22 LR ammo it's been over 5 years can someone tell me what a reasonable rate is?

RMK Junky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Gun show in High Prairie this weekend. Be interesting to see where pricing is with this one. Calgary and Dawson Creek shows were priced high for what I was looking for. Ended up buying my .223 in Red Deer at a private shop. Bought the SKS here in GP. The prices on these are coming up now.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 107
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 109
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    249.2 KB · Views: 107
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 106

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
What shop in red deer did you buy from?
Gun show in High Prairie this weekend. Be interesting to see where pricing is with this one. Calgary and Dawson Creek shows were priced high for what I was looking for. Ended up buying my .223 in Red Deer at a private shop. Bought the SKS here in GP. The prices on these are coming up now.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought 2000rds of federal 22LR at bass pro ,,i think they were on sale at 26 or $28 for each box of 525/box

Thats way cheaper than the 40 cal. Rounds I buy for my Springfield.

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thats way cheaper than the 40 cal. Rounds I buy for my Springfield.

NIce guns. The High Prairie Guns show alwasy seems to get worse and worse IMHOP... keep in mind im not a true gun nut so maybe im missing the deals... nice guns thanks for the pic...

Did you get that SKS at the gun shop right on 100th? Can't remember the name?

What's this about dates of corrosive ammo?

You GP guys we should get together for a quad ride or something... no one else on S n M near me. Teeroy is up in PR maybe he'll come to

Last edited:

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Head stamps will determine plant manufacturer and year. For example me 1200rds of 7.62x39 is stamped 31 over 94 meaning plant 31 1994 year.

As for quading I sold my rhino yesterday

mach123

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
nice guns, I to look for a couple guns and find pricing always high..

Top Bottom