Importing firearms and ammo

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So have the rules changed or have they always been this relaxed for being firearms in from the states?

I’m on a trip in February and was just going to bring ammo back, apparently you just declare it and how many rounds and all good. But for non-restricted guns it says just declare it, have a receipt I guess or some paperwork backing up what it is and all good.

Anyone have experience with both that can clarify?

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The US was talking about relaxing the ITAR rules but not sure if it happened or not. Basically it's the US side that has a problem with you taking possesion of a firearm or ammunition and exporting it without a permit.
irunguns.ca can import for you.

Pink-Inc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't think the problem is the Canadian side, but the US side with ITAR. I don't have any personal experience but from what I gather it's not that simple

TDR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I thought you needed an export permit from the US and that was the big hassle.

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm not 100% up to date. But in general, and true a few years ago, Canada lets you import accessories/ammo/whatever, as long as it's not a gun, very easily. There's probably a bit of paperwork to import a gun, not sure. But the main hurdle is that exporting basically anything gun-related out of the USA is a big crime, violation of ITAR. Buying gun stuff from Europe is generally no problem, but that same stuff from USA requires commercial export/import services that you pay for.

Irunguns is a company I have used twice to import firearms from USA to Canada. Prophet River also does it.

acesup800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A Canadian cannot legally purchase or transport guns or ammo in the US. Canada has no issue with you importing but if you get stopped on the way to the border you are screwed....

MK4TDI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Most of the American hunters I've spoken to over the years have said it's easier for them to buy ammo up here than it is to bring ammo with you across the border.

A firearm that they legally own and posses is not an issue. But any ammo they try brining up creates a big headache.

As some other have stated check with irunguns and prophet river, could be one of those really cheap phones calls a guy makes that saves him a pile of headaches.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don’t know a lot about it but know 2 guys that shoot competively on both sides of the border. The one shoots in handgun competitions and told me if you have all the permits done up and paperwork it’s very easy. Both buy their ammo in the US as it’s cheaper they said down there

Top Bottom