2023/2024 Fernie area

dpolacik

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Road From Coal Creek on 24th, Until more snow go somewhere else if you are bringing kids or someone with no experiance. Trail is icy and almost bare in spots, Creek crossing is 6-10 inches deep depending on ice damming and an icy climb out going up, once you get to the old trail again it is good. Still lacking snow up top.

FSA is doing the best they can with what they have.

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I decided to go up to the staging area around 3:30 today. the parking lot was 3/4 full which surprise me. Talked two 2 different groups and both said the bottom end is not very good but once you past the turn off to the microwave they said it was good. Saying that I did see a sled that was tie strapped back together and everyone I talked to said lots of land mines. The creek crossing is about 8" deep and will be that until we get snow and it stays cold then the FSA will build a snow bridge across. Dplacik said it right that the FSA is doing the best they can with what they have

thumperracing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We also went out today just after lunch from coal creek. Anyone that wasn’t very skilled was turning around at the bypass where the bridge washed out. Strait ice up that hill. The groomer did come out early and scraped it down to rock which helped quite a bit but there is still lots of open spots on the trail and like dpolacik said the creek crossing is getting very icy now with many spinning out on the way back to coal creek.
72540484958__62F16556-D90D-41CC-965B-7EA8A74DEB5F.jpeg

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just got off the phone with the FSA president and the family ride is on. Leaving the Coal creek staging area at 10:00 am. The BBQ should be around noon and we even have just baked home made cookies( I know for a fact they are delicious). I know it not the best conditions but it is what it is.

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well the FSA family ride was a success. Most of the food was gone. More people showed up than I thought would. Now the bad part of the day. The bottom end of Coal Creek is HORRIBLE. The one hill that you have to go up is solid ICE. If you hit it REAL fast you should make it. But lots don't. The other side of that crap hill will get you on the way back. You really can't walk on it at all. And now on the way back you have just another solid ice hill to go up. Could not imagine having to tow a sled out of that area. Just like tons of other area we need SNOW. When we get snow then the Morrissey staging will be a better place for families to stage at. IMO. That's my update.

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One more thing to add. The Coal creek road to the staging area is solid ice so please take it easy and you won't end up in the creek.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well the FSA family ride was a success. Most of the food was gone. More people showed up than I thought would. Now the bad part of the day. The bottom end of Coal Creek is HORRIBLE. The one hill that you have to go up is solid ICE. If you hit it REAL fast you should make it. But lots don't. The other side of that crap hill will get you on the way back. You really can't walk on it at all. And now on the way back you have just another solid ice hill to go up. Could not imagine having to tow a sled out of that area. Just like tons of other area we need SNOW. When we get snow then the Morrissey staging will be a better place for families to stage at. IMO. That's my update.
Thanks for the update Randy!

poysatron

Reaction score
What’s it like staging at Morrissey? Or not possible? My 9 and 11 year old have really developed an itch to sled and I wouldn’t mind taking them out even for a trail rip in the area. I think they would dig it. Or if anyone else knows where I can get a decent trail ride in between Calgary and fernie I’m all ears. They will be on the old fat pig sled so I’m not taking them off trail cause I ain’t digging that hog out myself. 🤣🤣🤣

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What’s it like staging at Morrissey? Or not possible? My 9 and 11 year old have really developed an itch to sled and I wouldn’t mind taking them out even for a trail rip in the area. I think they would dig it. Or if anyone else knows where I can get a decent trail ride in between Calgary and fernie I’m all ears. They will be on the old fat pig sled so I’m not taking them off trail cause I ain’t digging that hog out myself. 🤣🤣🤣.

As per what FSA told me 2 days ago: it's dirt for many miles due to the logging that was just shut down before christmas. AS soon as we get a storm or two then it will be good to go there

poysatron

Reaction score
As per what FSA told me 2 days ago: it's dirt for many miles due to the logging that was just shut down before christmas. AS soon as we get a storm or two then it will be good to go there
Thanks for the feedback Lucky. Looking like they will have to wait a little longer.

duck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Here is the good part of morrisey, we turned around coming down and went back up, just seeing how it was.

Attachments

• IMG_7855.jpeg
    IMG_7855.jpeg
    541.1 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_7856.jpeg
    IMG_7856.jpeg
    530.2 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_7857.jpeg
    IMG_7857.jpeg
    435.8 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_7858.jpeg
    IMG_7858.jpeg
    595.1 KB · Views: 141

sc800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looks like May long. Such a shame and I hope the mountains get some snow soon!

Sent from my LE2115 using Tapatalk

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So been watching the ski report on Global ever morning. Revelstoke gets 20cm and the base goes up 10 cm. Fernie gets 20cm and goes up 30 cm. How does that work?

sc800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So been watching the ski report on Global ever morning. Revelstoke gets 20cm and the base goes up 10 cm. Fernie gets 20cm and goes up 30 cm. How does that work?
Those snow making machines must be working overtime

Sent from my LE2115 using Tapatalk

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Real Crooks of the Rockies (RCR Resorts) creative ski reports. Worst thing to ever happen to the ski industry. The made sledding look cheap in comparison to skiing. lol

Top Bottom