2017 Skidoo Summit?

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
BRP never claimed 163 hp. It's been shown dozens of times that claim was from an independent dyno. They even state that. Read the fine print. Dyno tech has run them from 155-158hp several times since that hopped up 2010.5 sled was run.

Doesn't mean they can't make 163+ from the etec they just detune them to give you the 3-4 warranty. A little timing advance on the etec does wonders!

165 is 10hp more. Makes sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Manufacturers uses 3rd party testing to show unbiased results and when those results are positive, it becomes part of their advertising.

If the 3rd party has proven 163 hp, why is BRP now saying its 155hp ??

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Manufacturers uses 3rd party testing to show unbiased results and when those results are positive, it becomes part of their advertising.

If the 3rd party has proven 163 hp, why is BRP now saying its 155hp ??

The 163 is for the dyno result on a 2010.5 etec 800. Dyno tech had a hot ecm. When I used to pay for Dyno tech I read all the reports they had. BRP then took that and used it. Sure using a third party result can add to the "proof" factor but there was more to that number.

Since the 2011 releases they didn't dyno 163. 2012 and onward they got a little better as 2011 wasn't great. But still never reached 163 from the same dyno. 2016 has been one of the nicest running etec a I have ridden. BRP has never released their own dyno numbers for the etec.

With BRP saying this new 850 is 165 and 10hp more it says to me they admit the 800 is typically 155. No big deal as paper numbers don't matter much to me. I ride a Pro with a measly 145hp on paper.

I wouldn't say the new Axys 800 motor is over 160 by "feel" and the overall difference in power and I haven't gone check any paper reports.

Any dyno can show whatever the operator wants it to show. Same motor on two different days can show different results so really what does any of it prove?

I would just look at the 10hp difference. If it gained 10hp with 50cc and other changes its good stuff. Whether it's 165 or any other number it gained power as per BRP. The you can argue break in vs pre break in numbers and so on.

Dyno numbers are not better than weight numbers. Dry vs wet blah blah blah. A track dyno matching all sleds at the same time with one of each track length is your best bet. But does that matter? What about track speed vs ground speed?

Dyno numbers obviously sell sleds to certain people.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
First year motors from Doo are always dogs .
They improve the second year is what I have seen a few times over.

etecheaven

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i dont know about you guys, but i cant wait for arguments about how the new summit is not a new chassis and all it is is new plastics. And dont you dare mention it needs its own section on snow and mud!!!!!

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
From everything I saw it's a new chassis. Tunnel, bulkhead, which is the chassis. So it might be deserving of its on section.

fj40

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yah looked like no modules as well as new tunnel. All new chassis and motor
When was the last time BRP put out a new chassis and motor in the same year?

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
93623098a645ea07edd62bf15c4f742e.jpg

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What do you think this can weighs for you weight conscious folks?

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I need to go out. Looking forward to seeing the rest when I get back.

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I saw a picture where the steering post angle looked almost Nitro like. Big check in the minus column.

Top Bottom