2017 f350

poysatron

Reaction score
Just looking for some insight about a sled deck in the new aluminum box. Heard many horror stories of sled decks breaking through and in turn mangling the box panels. Would a wood box liner be enough to distribute the weight?

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
wood sheet covering the whole bottom and the largest steel backing plates you can get underneath if you are bolting it in

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd be more concerned with the decks that have individual legs, I've seen them do a number even on steel boxes. I'd look for a deck with cross bars underneath like a full lotus etc then put at least 3/4" plywood under it.

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I Have a 2017 king ranch. I put my truck boss on last feb and no problems yet. I do have the extra legs mounted plus the box side rails. Works good and I don't see any problems

Couch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wondering about this too. Picked up a new 17 f250 last month and will soon pop the deck in.

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wondering about this too. Picked up a new 17 f250 last month and will soon pop the deck in.

Marathon Truck boss will be on sale at the sled show. I recommend them due to the many points of contact and weight distribution. My deck has been on a 2011 king ranch. 2013 dura max. 2016 super duty and now a 2017 super duty. I ride lots and have put a couple hundred thousand winter km with this deck. Not one issue and it still looks great. It also looks like a factory accessory instead of a drop in the box rusty deck. They are expensive but top quality.

bayman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had the legs of my denali deck punch through the box of my '14 Chev last year. It is an 8 foot deck in a 6'6" box and a 174" and a 163" on it most times. I feel that it is because of the cantilever on the back that my problem occurred. This only happened on the rear. This season I am going bolt a piece of 8" X 1/4" aluminum plate all the way across both legs front and back as well as the 3/4" wooden box that the dealerships put in there leased trucks. Hind sight of course I should have done that last year. I would be concerned about the aluminum box of the new fords.

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Common sense should tell you that putting half a ton of weight on a few square inches of sheet metal will not end well regardless or what the metal is made of. If your deck is one of the poor designs that only has small vertical legs to support the weight hopefully you're smart enough to put something under the legs to spread out the load.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If your sled deck wears or pokes through I would take the truck back and tell them to make it out of the stuff the deck is made out of.

Should be a non issue

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Probably well over a 1/2 million kms with sled deck in various trucks with just 3/4 inch plywood floor and no problems.
Like fireman said ? Common sense.
With the 2017's I can't see it being a problem either if plywood is used.

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If your sled deck wears or pokes through I would take the truck back and tell them to make it out of the stuff the deck is made out of.

Should be a non issue

Try that. See how far you get. I'm sure that the manufacturers will step right up and re-design their trucks to compensate for the poor design from some $hit-poke deck builder. Like I said. Common sense.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Try that. See how far you get. I'm sure that the manufacturers will step right up and re-design their trucks to compensate for the poor design from some $hit-poke deck builder. Like I said. Common sense.

Common sense exactly. You don't think those aluminum body's weren't tested?.

linksys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Common sense exactly. You don't think those aluminum body's weren't tested?.

maybe tested like the 850 doo?

Buy it, pay for it, drive it, let us know what's wrong with it, we will up grade future models, next year, repeat...we appreciate your business, y'all come back now

and they Doo!

poysatron

Reaction score
Common sense does tell me not to do that, hence why I posed the question to see what some options are. Maybe someone had a better idea out there than I did. Obviously I am smart enough to put something under them as here I am in first place. So thanks tips, direct your condescending comments elsewhere

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If your not going to rhino guard then at least put a sheet of plywood down. Even if you do rhino guard put a sheet of plywood dy. Just don't forget things often build up under the plywood.

Chrisp1

Reaction score
Have a truckboss in my 17 f150 from new last year. Had a 153 sled and a snowbike on it and have had no issues at all with legs punching through box or damage to box rails. Box is not lined.

Top Bottom