2014 summit 800 Etec

Goondocker97

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the sled is amazing. our group purchased 4 of them and havent missed a beat since we got them. i love every thing about it and for some reason the power seems to be up from last season. it could just be the suspension refinements putting the power to the ground better perhaps but it sure doesnt feel like it. the thing just keeps climbing. the new rounded sidepanels work wonders in the deep stuff. as i spend most of my time on my side LOL. the running boards are flawless i can hop side to side and not have to worry about losing my grip and embarassing myself!! heated glove box is great. i keep my gps,camera,radio in there and they work much better all warmed up. i reccomend the screen kit as there is almost no moisture in the glove box now that there isnt any steam coming off the pipe from fresh snow. T MOTION WORKS. i dont care who makes fun of it it flat out works. i can be on a 30 degree slope off camber and pull it over with ease. it has taken me a few rides to get used to how the t motion reacts though. for the first few rides it seems a bit unpredidcable and out of control. but once you learn it just takes much smaller inputs from other sleds you get used to it in a hurry and wont go back. i can huck it at some nasty rutted up lines and it bombs through them no problem. i can turn around on hardpack on one ski. its great. alot of this is attributed to the flex track aswell though. i installed a 3" track on an identical sled and gave it a whirl over the holidays and i will tell you honestly it doesnt handle anything like the stock sled. WAY WORSE. the flex track is very important to this package.

some changes i would like to see......

lose a couple pounds without losing any of the technology that comes with extra weight ( 16 x 2.5 track, etec, fit and finish) yes skidoo could build a cerial box toy sled like the rest but this sled is second to none as far as quality and fit and finish. i for one do not want to lighten the sled up and lose a bunch of features. i personally dont see where they can shed weight other than the airbox and muffler, possibly the headlight. but these are regulated by our government and i dont see them getting any smaller unfortunately. this may be totally false but i have heard that skidoo is many years ahead of there emmisions standards with the etec package and the other manufactureres are just scraping by. again just what ive heard.

i do not want to see a belt drive. ive never had a problem with chains, i like being able to change my gears, and i dont want another thing to worry about. in order to make that belt system work its going to be just as heavy as a chain and gear setup. there have been one to many failures on the aftermarket and stock belt drive systems for my liking.

some seem to think there are clutch and clutching issues. i just dont see it. or have it. guess we got 4 good ones! there are alot of tra haters but if you just stop messing with your stock parts the tra works wonders in factory form

ive been thinking hard and trying to come up with items i would like to see changed but its very hard. this sled is very close to my ideal machine for my style of riding. yes there are lots of folks that want 200+ hp. while it may be nice 160 does me just fine riding 70 days a year but then again i dont climb hills.

maybe factory ice scratchers so i litterally have to do NOTHING to my new sleds LOL
Thanks for the detailed report maxwell it really adds to the thread!

mitty26

Reaction score
Would like to see the fuel return issue fixed, tougher nun, low elevation stumbles fixed, and about 185 hp

Rjjtcross8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Seems like owners of these sleds don't have a long list of changes just minor stuff. Any word of anything Rasmussen has Been changing or upgrading on these? Just curious because everything he had gripes with on the 12 cats was pretty well changed for The 13 models. Anything done to the doo's?

Goondocker97

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Seems like owners of these sleds don't have a long list of changes just minor stuff. Any word of anything Rasmussen has Been changing or upgrading on these? Just curious because everything he had gripes with on the 12 cats was pretty well changed for The 13 models. Anything done to the doo's?
The kid has been completely redone and changes were made for better carving and ive heard its a big change

Rjjtcross8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm talking about any changes he made to the xm, not the changes from the xp to xm.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Would like to see the fuel return issue fixed, tougher nun, low elevation stumbles fixed, and about 185 hp

You will not see stock 185 hp. Just won't be happening.

Shooting for 11 hp gain. Only in spring order sleds.

They also do not have a nun. S module and E module. No changes.

No major major changes to the rear skid. Refinements to the tmotion though.

Sent from my HTC-Z710a using Tapatalk 2

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Someone should ask the Polaris guys who've busted a driveshaft or two if they would rather have 3 lbs added back onto the sled or not. Lightweight don't mean much if your sled is sitting in the garage all busted up from hitting a few little bumps or because its the lightest one out there....

mach123

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Someone should ask the Polaris guys who've busted a driveshaft or two if they would rather have 3 lbs added back onto the sled or not. Lightweight don't mean much if your sled is sitting in the garage all busted up from hitting a few little bumps or because its the lightest one out there....

X2 and will stick with being the 2nd lightest..........

Foxstar45

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The headlight dim/bright switch keeps taking skin off my left thumb. *single tear*
:'(

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A lighter can, scratchers, and the screen kit are the biggest things I would like to see changed/included in future models. Also including the pull start on all units equipped with electric start. A belt drive would be nice too if they can make one that will last/work.

Personally I think they would get more out of clutching improvements over just throwing more power at it.

dropitbuster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My E-tech seems to be susceptible to bogging if the exhaust outlet is covered especially when boondocking at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle. More so than if the air intakes are covered. It clears up if you mash the throttle but the stumble has screwed me up a couple of times. So perhaps just a small shield over the exhaust exit or an outlet in the front suspension cutout.

Also a glove box that actually dries out my wet goggles like the one on the Cats. It's embarrasing asking my buddy on his Proclimb to defog my goggles. It's the only thing the Cat does better than my XM. :p I've added a Cat goggle bag on my clutch cover that works well but stock from the factory would be nice.

My tunnel ices up. It makes a lot of noise when my track rubs against it so I'm sure the resistance and the extra weight of the ice is affecting performance a little bit. Perhaps a smaller cooler or a single one up front with factory scratchers.

If you are going to make a muffler that big how about making a spot I can sit my muffpot easily. I’ll buy the muffpot but just leave me spot for it. It’s the only reason I bought an aftermarket can.

The weight of the XM doesn’t bother me. Actually in the west coast cement I think it makes it easier to ride especially when you're crossing through the trenches. A little weight reduction might be nice but not if it compromises durability.

Really minor stuff. Overall I am very happy and every ride on it seems better than the last. It's almost like magic. :thumbsup2:

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My E-tech seems to be susceptible to bogging if the exhaust outlet is covered especially when boondocking at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle. More so than if the air intakes are covered. It clears up if you mash the throttle but the stumble has screwed me up a couple of times. So perhaps just a small shield over the exhaust exit or an outlet in the front suspension cutout.

Also a glove box that actually dries out my wet goggles like the one on the Cats. It's embarrasing asking my buddy on his Proclimb to defog my goggles. It's the only thing the Cat does better than my XM. :p I've added a Cat goggle bag on my clutch cover that works well but stock from the factory would be nice.

My tunnel ices up. It makes a lot of noise when my track rubs against it so I'm sure the resistance and the extra weight of the ice is affecting performance a little bit. Perhaps a smaller cooler or a single one up front with factory scratchers.

If you are going to make a muffler that big how about making a spot I can sit my muffpot easily. I’ll buy the muffpot but just leave me spot for it. It’s the only reason I bought an aftermarket can.

The weight of the XM doesn’t bother me. Actually in the west coast cement I think it makes it easier to ride especially when you're crossing through the trenches. A little weight reduction might be nice but not if it compromises durability.

Really minor stuff. Overall I am very happy and every ride on it seems better than the last. It's almost like magic. :thumbsup2:

Ya the ice build up is a little annoying. I think an easy way to eliminate the build up on the outside would be to add a piece of 1/4" pipe down the length of the tunnel in the corner for coolant to circulate through. This would keep the ice melted along both outside edges between the cooler and the sides where it builds up.
I also wish the glove compartment was a little more functional at actually thawing stuff. Rode all day and the snow in it never even melted. I use the exhaust vents right now. I stick the strap up through the hole in the panel so the goggle is inside, close the door and use a glove to keep it from falling down onto the can. 10 min and the goggles are warm and dry.

Top Bottom