2014 / 2015 Valemount Conditions and Updates

ratpak

Reaction score
So if you go the the movies, you pay to get in, if you go to a rec center, you pay to get in, if you go to a hockey game, you pay to get in, etc etc etc. This is all because somebody fronts the cost and needs to be reinburst so the service can continue. Seems pretty easy to me.

Yeah, but you pay to get in to those places because you're getting something in return for your money, like watching a movie or hockey game, etc. Paying to get on a mountain isn't the same thing. VARDA doesn't actually own the mountain or the trail up it. The fee is supposed to cover the cost of things like grooming the trail, maintaining the beacon tester, supplying firewood for the cabin, and clearing the parking lot.

I'm all for paying the fee and supporting the organization and their efforts, but I see no point in paying just because someone mans a booth with their hand out. I went to Allen Creek on Dec 5th with 6 other guys. We paid a total of $175 and here's what we got for it: The trail wasn't groomed yet, the beacon tester didn't work, the cabin had no firewood, and the parking lot was rutted out and trucks were getting stuck.

But some of you act as though VARDA made it snow in BC and that VARDA caused the sun to shine that day. Whether or not the riding was good up top has absolutely nothing to do with VARDA or the man in the booth at the parking lot. I'm all for supporting VARDA and their work, and the hotels, restaurants, and gas stations in the community, but I shouldn't have to pay the fee on a day where none of those things are done.

Last edited:

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
To the complainers: Please stay home, you will ruin a good time for everyone else. Have read far too much crying over $25, I would hate to hear about it in person.

Roy Maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah, but you pay to get in to those places because you're getting something in return for your money, like watching a movie or hockey game, etc. Paying to get on a mountain isn't the same thing. VARDA doesn't actually own the mountain or the trail up it. The fee is supposed to cover the cost of things like grooming the trail, maintaining the beacon tester, supplying firewood for the cabin, and clearing the parking lot.

I'm all for paying the fee and supporting the organization and their efforts, but I see no point in paying just because someone mans a booth with their hand out. I went to Allen Creek on Dec 5th with 6 other guys. We paid a total of $175 and here's what we got for it: The trail wasn't groomed yet, the beacon tester didn't work, the cabin had no firewood, and the parking lot was rutted out and trucks were getting stuck.

But some of you act as though VARDA made it snow in BC and that VARDA caused the sun to shine that day. Whether or not the riding was good up top has absolutely nothing to do with VARDA or the man in the booth at the parking lot. I'm all for supporting VARDA and their work, and the hotels, restaurants, and gas stations in the community, but I shouldn't have to pay the fee on a day where none of those things are done.

As far as I am aware VARDA does not charge trail fees unless they have groomed the trail on the regularly scheduled days that are published on the VARDA website and also published on grooming updates throughout local establishments so if one shows up on a Saturday at Chappell Creek it was groomed on Thursday night so the trail may not be in stellar shape but you are paying for that Thursday night groom that VARDA had to pay the contractor for much like if you show up at Allen Creek after 9:00AM on a busy day with warm conditions you are paying for the groom the night before even though it has been pounded by 200 sleds before you arrived. Sort of like showing up at a buffet half an hour before it shuts down. You still pay the $29.95 even if the food was cold and there was no shrimp left. VARDA may not own the Allen Creek trail but without them there would be no trail to ride or at least a pretty poor trail as without ABC, BCSF and VARDA working with the logging companies to place insurance on the trail to take over the roadway and avoid decommissioning whoops would be the least of your worries. Once you got to the alpine on the decommissioned road a fish cop chopper would be on your butt faster than you could say "what a piss poor trail that was" because without the lobby of ABC, BCSF and VARDA all of that Allen Creek drainage basin would likely be closed to sleds as it is, if you believe the greenies, prime caribou habitat. Not exactly sure what the fine is for riding in a caribou closure but I am guessing it is more than $175. So when you say you got nothing for your $175 you had a wonderful spot in the mountains for you and your buddies to ride which you would not have if it were not for ABC, BCSF, VARDA, Revy Snowmobile Club, Elk Valley Snowmobile Club, McBride Snowmobile Club and so many more clubs in Western Canada that make sure there are trails for you and your buddies to ride. I look at the $25 trail fee covering the government relations and insurance stuff without any grooming as a bargain but that is just me. If you are displeased with the way any local volunteer riding association where you ride is handling things, get involved, volunteer and help make it better.

crossfire879

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can see why allen grooming stopped. All the ice and water run off running across the trail. It looks like it usually does in november lol. Cant complain though, cant change the weather. Still had an awesome day in the back of allen!

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
It never fails to amaze me how the trails get better every year and the whiners are getting worse, like mentioned earlier by sledder glen , some of these young whinners need too take a trip back in time. I rode clemina trail this past sat and did 80 to 100 Klm most of the way to the cabin. Kind of hard to complain about trails like that, and I'm old lol........Twenty Five Bucks any day of the week! Great Job Varda.......Nice Cabin Too!

waynemags

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what do you people complain about when u will pay 45 bucks for a case of beer or 2 bucks for a bottle of water that will roll around the cab of your truck and then get tossed on cleaning day. get over the fee or ride the ditches. ive been watching the conditions thread for days and for the last day and a half all ive read is bitching about 25 buck. really? it will cost me 10x that to drive there to ride if not more. RIDE THE DITCHES BITCHES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
Busy place.

There are currently 75 users browsing this thread. (65 members and 10 guests)

• +,

bbtoys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It never fails to amaze me how the trails get better every year and the whiners are getting worse, like mentioned earlier by sledder glen , some of these young whinners need too take a trip back in time. I rode clemina trail this past sat and did 80 to 100 Klm most of the way to the cabin. Kind of hard to complain about trails like that, and I'm old lol........Twenty Five Bucks any day of the week! Great Job Varda.......Nice Cabin Too!
if you go back to the start of the whinning, there is only 2 posts about the bad trail, percentage wise that is most likely less than .05% of the riders this weekend. time to tune them out and get back to conditions.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
True Dat, I never really pay much attention to them, there just seems to be more every year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom