2011 etec rebuid.

whitell

Reaction score
im just finishing up doing a full top and bottom rebuild on my 11 etec, is there any way to avoid taking it to the dealer to have a break in mode flashed to the ecm? can i just run it or not advised as i cant get any extra oil into it?

blubbles

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If it was me I would just premix for the first 2-3 tanks, run it a bit rich then just run straight fuel afterwards. Not going to be too crazy long of pulls early season anyways.

towerrigger

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Problem with just adding pre-mix is that only the tops of the pistons see the additional oil. The bottom end won't see the additional oil the ECM adds during the break in period. You've gone this far with the re-build, I would get it programed for the break in period.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Problem with just adding pre-mix is that only the tops of the pistons see the additional oil. The bottom end won't see the additional oil the ECM adds during the break in period. You've gone this far with the re-build, I would get it programed for the break in period.

Bottom end don't need oil. It's greased bearings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My last motor in my 12 I had done I could have opted not to have it out through break in mode again but it was 3/4 of the way through the season and I knew I would want to run it like always.

If you can manage to stay off the throttle for extended wot periods then I wouldn't worry as much about the break in mode.

whitell

Reaction score
Bottom end don't need oil. It's greased bearings.

greased main bearings but the con rod and wrist pin bearings are still just oil thru the case, which is why i was wondering if these parts really require the addional lube. i think im leaning towards a reflash just to be safe.

whitell

Reaction score
how mny miles did u have before you did the rebuild ?

i have about 1600 miles on it, and everything looks great, but last season i landed on a stump right on my clutch. had .0085 runout on the pto side of the crank. i was on borrowed time to finish last season!

slededjr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just drive it easy for first tank. Good thing with dealer though is they can do tests with the laptop such as bleed the oil system which will also show any leaks on fittings or clamps on lines, same with fuel system, and check rave valve settings as well too. Can do it all in an hour. That I would get checked just to be sure.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
greased main bearings but the con rod and wrist pin bearings are still just oil thru the case, which is why i was wondering if these parts really require the addional lube. i think im leaning towards a reflash just to be safe.

My bad forgot about wrist pins and stuff. I would just drive it easy for a tank.

Top Bottom