2010 / 2011 Valemount Updates

Depsnolvr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Went up Clemina today and took a wrong turn on the trail and ended up on the plowed section up to the 3km marker. Met the home owner half way and had a quick chat with him, seemed like a decent guy.

We even knew about this plowed section but still ended up on it because of the signs. On the way up they are very misleading, and on the way down there is nothing at all. Everybody up the hill today took the wrong trail so it wasnt just us.

Im sorry, I dont see how they are misleading on the way up, as there is a no snomobiling sign at the entrance to the fsr from the groomed trail with a arrow pointing the correct direction. Im uncertain as to how the signs lead you onto this road from the trail unless they have been messed with???? I will look into in and hang more signage. I apologize for the mix up. I will not be able to get out there for a few days as we are with the avy crew, but will get on this asap.

Last edited:

Depsnolvr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The alpine areas have received over a foot of snow in all three with much more to enjoy in many places from the wind transport. Up to 2' on fresh was enjoyed today at chappel by many. Although the visibility was terrible, the riding was exceptional:d:d

The storm has produced many natural small shears on steaper slopes about 15cm down and has potential to release down to an old small surface hoar layer at 55cm. There were multiple storm shears within the upper 30cm (new snow) with simple snow tests.

Please enjoy this new snow cautiously and limit your exposure to potential avalanche terrain. Choose simple terrain and challenge yourself to practice some techicnal riding instead of the same old hillclimb, trust me you will end up tired, extremely happy and a better rider to boot !:beer:

Attachments

• P1073941.jpg
    P1073941.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 827
  • P1073943.jpg
    P1073943.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 820
  • P1073944.jpg
    P1073944.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 821
  • P1073945.jpg
    P1073945.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 821
  • P1073946.jpg
    P1073946.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 826
  • P1073948.jpg
    P1073948.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 815
Last edited:

scrfce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
U said youd throw pics up this evening depsnolvr?? Just a friendly reminder.

NytroNorm

Reaction score
Thanks Curtis. There is an arrow sign and a no snowmobiling on the same tree which makes it confusing.

Seems like there was a foot of fresh is some spots. Lookin forward to tomorrow, its gonna be sweet!

Depsnolvr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
only 38 users on the chappell trail today. the new fresh has made the first and last switches a little bumpy but other than that the trail is in great shape. A reduced trail fee of $15 will be in effect tomorrow.

NOTE: Due to the Terrible Highway Weather, we were unable to move the groomer and groom the Clemina Creek trail tonight. Trail passes will NOT be in effect for this area tomorrow, but we will be back on schedule for Sunday, sorry for the trouble

Last edited:

flabbajabba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Due to the Terrible Highway Weather, we were unable to move the groomer and groom the Clemina Creek trail tonight. Trail passes will NOT be in effect for this area tomorrow, but we will be back on schedule for Sunday, sorry for the trouble

You will never have to say sorry to me for not grooming due to SNOW I kind of like the sound of that !:ThumbsupMsn:

killernewf

Reaction score
Nice to hear of all this new snow. Heading down Tuesday for my first trip of the season. Hopefully will bump into you guys on the hill. Staying at the best western. Swing over for a beverage. Happy and safe riding all. We all have loved ones to go home to

Depsnolvr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wierd weather paterns around here last night. Allan and Clemina parking lots got hit HARD over night with Allan receiving a measured 30cm+ snow overnight:d The alpine conditions are exceptional in all riding areas.

Parking areas plowed yesterday and today:confused: sorry to those who got stuck, but over a foot overnight will do that:d

We were able to move the groomer today and Allan and Clemina are back on schedule

Multiple storm shears are around in the upper 30cm, and an old surface hoar layer is showing its face round 55cm down. The storm layers were witnessed breaking from sled triggers numerous times today with small runouts, but have potential to step down large. Heavy north winds at ridge tops have potential to seriously load leeward slopes.

Please play safe out there

Attachments

• P1083956.jpg
    P1083956.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 572
  • P1083958.jpg
    P1083958.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 566
  • P1083961.jpg
    P1083961.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 568
  • P1083972.jpg
    P1083972.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 570

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the stability report Curtis. Is the current load binding with the old? From what I am reading in the reports, the PWL is lower.

Danbot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had a great couple days in Vale, man you can find some deep stuff if you go looking!
I also want to give a big thanks to the boys at Alpine Country Rentals for getting me back running after I flat spotted a roller at the end of day 1. Fantastic service, very good price, they had me running by 9am for day 2 yesterday! Thanks Mark, you guys rock.

RMKKing

Reaction score
Rode Chappel yesterday and Clemina today, hard to decide which had the most snow. :d Very good conditions and plenty of challenges in the tress without having to do any crazy pulls in avy territory. Was snowing on the way down from the hill. Hopefully it keeps up for next weekend. Thanks again to Varda for keeping the trails in such good shape. :beer:

Top Bottom