2008 Polaris RMK 700 - reviews

Nemesis

Reaction score
I'm looking for some info on this sled. I'm a novice sledder and really just want a reliable sled for ditch running as well as using around the farm for some entertainment. Strictly trail riding. I don't want to spend a bunch of coin on this and am looking for something relatively reliable. I haven't been able to find much as far as reviews on this sled so any information that you can share would be appreciated. I have found a 2008 with 2$100miles on it, looks to be in great shape, for $5500. I don't know if that's a great deal or not. thanks.

rightsideup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am not sure about the price but I do question the type of sled for the riding you are describing as it is more of a mountain machine and there are more suitable models for the riding that you are describing. The 700 however does have a reputation for being reliable. I would suggest you look at the categories of sleds such as crossover, trail, sport utility and mountain to determine which type fits your riding needs. If you were planning to go to the mountains I would say the 700 rmk would be a good choice and can be ridden for the purpose you are describing but there are other types that fit that type of riding better.

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for some info on this sled. I'm a novice sledder and really just want a reliable sled for ditch running as well as using around the farm for some entertainment. Strictly trail riding. I don't want to spend a bunch of coin on this and am looking for something relatively reliable. I haven't been able to find much as far as reviews on this sled so any information that you can share would be appreciated. I have found a 2008 with 2$100miles on it, looks to be in great shape, for $5500. I don't know if that's a great deal or not. thanks.

i have one, ran it in sask since 08. zero issues with mine and it has 5000 miles on it. The wheels and extra cooler work well for around the flats. its a great machine for fields and ditches and you can go to the mountains with it and do ok. as for the price thats good, asking that for mine with 5000 miles on it. there are some in sask for $6500.

one thing i suggest is cutting the tips off the track, it will make it 2.25" lugs. no loss in deep snow performance but alot better on hard pack. ran mine for 2-3 seasons now and no abnormal lug wear, they just look factory now.

As for the track ran it 90 mph down trail lots. no worries there, I have no missing lugs, my dads ripsaw on his f8 has like 12 missing lugs and its a trail track......

Last edited:

fargineyesore

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have one that has burnt the motor up twice in 2700 miles. Always ran premium, always let warm up to 116 degrees before going, always watched the temperature when running it. I wouldn't pay $5500 for one with over 2000 miles on it and I'd check that engine very carefully before I bought it. True the 700s are better than the 800s, but if I didn't have a chassis with no motor in it right now, I wouldn't even be thinking of getting another motor, I'd buy something else. Just my experience.

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have one that has burnt the motor up twice in 2700 miles. Always ran premium, always let warm up to 116 degrees before going, always watched the temperature when running it. I wouldn't pay $5500 for one with over 2000 miles on it and I'd check that engine very carefully before I bought it. True the 700s are better than the 800s, but if I didn't have a chassis with no motor in it right now, I wouldn't even be thinking of getting another motor, I'd buy something else. Just my experience.

you are one of the very few.

Dragonalain

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you are one of the very few.

We had 3 2008 700s in our group. my cyl skirt broke off at around 2000 miles feel into the crank really F'd it up. My dad lost his rod bearing at around 4000 miles. my buddy went through 2 complete short blocks in 5000 miles. The CFI 700 were not nearly as good as our old carbed 700s. But still better than the 800s at the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk -

Kranked

Reaction score
We had 3 2008 700s in our group. my cyl skirt broke off at around 2000 miles feel into the crank really F'd it up. My dad lost his rod bearing at around 4000 miles. my buddy went through 2 complete short blocks in 5000 miles. The CFI 700 were not nearly as good as our old carbed 700s. But still better than the 800s at the time.

Yea my cylinder skirt broke off just over 3000 miles. Maybe my fault for never doing the top end. Isnt 4000 miles on a high performance 2 stroke motor pretty good for todays standards?

rightsideup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Yea my cylinder skirt broke off just over 3000 miles. Maybe my fault for never doing the top end. Isnt 4000 miles on a high performance 2 stroke motor pretty good for todays standards?
I guess so but why can't it be better. I owned to 500 fuji a 1990 indy 500 and 500 indy sks efi. I know the people that own these sleds and both have 9000 miles without any engine work. Are the 600 cfi polaris engines lasting long?

dmoorhouse

Reaction score
I have an 08 700 that has 2800miles on it. Did the top end after 2600miles but has been very reliable. 99% mountain use. I would buy another one in a minute.

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It almost seems that no engine last what we think they should last.my 2010 800 dragon blew up on my second ride last season. I thought about doing a top end on it all summer but thought it should be okay and boy was I ever wrong. the 700's are better engines

Top Bottom