2008 F350 question

teamgreen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking at trading in my truck for an 08 F350. Anyone know of any common problems with them? What kind of mileage do they get?

boots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well i would go with 09 if i were you ... i have an 08 and well it does have lots of km but it seems tooo wonder some times and feul problems where i lose all feul pressure and it dies,,,, it has a spartan programer and a dpf delete getting not bad mileage never check it , that is with an extra 210 hp...

teamgreen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well mine will remain stock, and Im stretching my budget with an 08 so an 09 is definitely out, this one is a deal so thats why Im considering. I dont think I need another 200+ hp.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

suzuki_ryder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ive got a 100% stock 08 super duty, it's a quad cab with a 6 foot box and I get an average of 12-16 MPG depending how much it idles. A guy I know is a ford diesel tech and says the 6.4L has had motor failures and is on his second motor in his ford. He told me if you want it to live, do not go with an aftermarket airfilter because they don't filter dirt as efficient as a paper filter, and do regular maintenance.

Apart from that, I love mine. It's a really nice truck to drive even with a heavy load behind. Had a 6L before and went through 6 injectors in a year.

Hope this helps.

fortmacsummit

Reaction score
THere are many issues with this model year I have a F-450 but it has the same engine. As mentioned above the radiators go the say they have fixed the problem although I am on my third rad $1275.00 a shot my dealer said the rads were failing because the stock thermostate built up to much pressure before it opened. The big one is the bed plates wear through and is a major job (pull the cab off) warrenty will cover to 160000km or 5 years mine went at 159400km luckily I noticed it ,they may try to pass it off as a rear seal. The bill they sent to ford was $9800.00 if it wasn't on warrenty they said it could be 15 percent more. They are a solid truck but make sure these things have been done before you buy it! hope this helps

sledhead_2002

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.imperialseed.com
I have a 08 f250, 220 000 kms, on it. Rad has been done and 2 injectors. Thats it for problems i did not create. I have done the brakes at 180 000km.
Mine is fully chipped, air intake, Sun coast tranny. Spent a few dollars on after market items for sure. Overall a good truck, i like it alot. No real issues at all, but again, my is a 250 not a 350/450. i do no require a 350 +. fuel milage with programmer, which has been on since 60 000km, is 22mpg at 110km/hr, and 23-24 @ 100km/hr, if i wanna get there at 120+ well then fuel milage is not a question to be answered. i did the tranny at 125 000km (my fault with mods and driving at the track). I have not had an issue with my air intake (AFE) , and it has been on the truck from around 50 000km. I do replace my filter every 100 000km tho.

Enjoy the heads up on the bed plates as i will be looking at that today!

Big question is: do you need a 350? you are a MB boy like me, a 350 will need to be safetied every yr and the extra weight of the truck eats fuel milage

Good luck

Last edited:

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Oh boy......... Don't get me started......... What is wrong with some '08 f350's with the diesel? We help maintain several fleets of these trucks, and i've seen:
-radiators leaking
-turbos not working(and yes, they are back ordered north america wide)....we had a special ordered(unit tie-up) pair of turbo's and still waited over a week(necessary to remove the truck cab to replace)
-lots of diesel particulate filters plugged(at around $2300.00 parts and labour)
-many exhaust temp sensor problems
-replaced many fuel injectors
-we have replaced about 6 engines so far(again, cab off)
-some turbo pressure sensors
-some front hub problems
etc etc etc.........but remember these are big companies with 75 trucks or more and they doo get abused. It seems the ones that are running good are good trucks. But there seem to be quite a few with a lot of gremlin's in them. What better information than to ask a shop owner that works on a lot of diesels :). Personally i would leave the truck stock, and drive it like you stole it. They will and can take the abuse. I've always liked the fords, but their diesels have always been "suspect"!!!

Jus' sayin' :)

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if u can write off the costs to keep it going then do it..... but for the average joe don't buy it.... the milage sucks unless u def delete it , and put in a chip - programer ect...

just for an example oil change with 0w40... 35 for the filter , 100 for the oil [ it has 14l of oil ] plus the labor for it.... fuel filters are 85 -100 plus close to and hour

air filters are 130 ish...

a dirtymax ... 10 l 0w40 [ 70.00 ] , filter is 13.00 , fuel filter is 50 , air filter is 95 ... so as u can see the regular stuff is 1/2 of a ford....

cummings are about the same [ mabe a bit cheaper than the dirtymax ] ....

realy with the newer dsl's and the mpg they don't get and unless u can write off the extra expenses its way cheaper and better to have a gas jobby.... cause most gas jobbys get real close the the mpg as the dsl's....

just my 2 cents oh and u wouldn't see me send a 6.0L or a 6.4 L ford to my worst enemy

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
I have an 08 F350, Diesel. First build with 153600 km. Ive had the DPF replaced 2 times, Rad replaced on recall, Power steering box 2 times, power steering pump, EGR valve 4 times, EGR sensor 3 times, Engine one time 5K ago, Fan Clutch and belts. Otherwise the only thing my truck has aftermarket is the 6" lift and 35" tires. The tires are still original and need replaced, the truck is comfortable and pulls a large fifth wheel like nothing. I have to look behind to make sure its still back there on occasion. That is the biggest thing that sold me on the truck back then, the towing capacity and it was alot different then my GMC. I wish I could get a new one, like the changes they have done to the Ford.

teamgreen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Enjoy the heads up on the bed plates as i will be looking at that today!
Big question is: do you need a 350? you are a MB boy like me, a 350 will need to be safetied every yr and the extra weight of the truck eats fuel milage

Bed plates? whattya mean? I am an Albertan so it gets registered there and no yearly inspections.

Oh boy......... Don't get me started......... What is wrong with some '08 f350's with the diesel? We help maintain several fleets of these trucks, and i've seen:
-radiators leaking
-turbos not working(and yes, they are back ordered north america wide)....we had a special ordered(unit tie-up) pair of turbo's and still waited over a week(necessary to remove the truck cab to replace)
-lots of diesel particulate filters plugged(at around $2300.00 parts and labour)
-many exhaust temp sensor problems
-replaced many fuel injectors
-we have replaced about 6 engines so far(again, cab off)
-some turbo pressure sensors
-some front hub problems

Ric,
the truck just had a Manitoba Inspection, can I use that to register in Alberta or will it have to be inspected again? Whats an Out of Province inspection going to cost me?

Cheers

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bed plates? whattya mean? I am an Albertan so it gets registered there and no yearly inspections.

Ric,
the truck just had a Manitoba Inspection, can I use that to register in Alberta or will it have to be inspected again? Whats an Out of Province inspection going to cost me?

Cheers

good try tho....... plus make sure if there is anything that needs done do it before the 14 days otherwise ur payin to have it inspected again [ which is so stupid ]

U

Unknown1

hi-jacking this thread. I am replacing the front pads on my F250, which brand do I get? Can Tire or Napa? Are the expensive ones better than cheapies? Same questions about rotors, cheap or expensive?

teamgreen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use the napa premium ones, but I have no idea if they are better than cheapies. Maybe Summitric will chime in.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
have an 08 f250, had the rad fixed under warranty, replaced front pads a couple times (alberta mud build up) otherwise zero problrems for 1450000 km. mileage does suck. if ya drive like a idiot you'll have problems. that means you tex.hehe

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well the ford and dodge caliper sliders size because of a stupid design.... pads wear faster than they should.....

lots of oil field trucks [ chevs ] that have 130000 km on the orignal pads.... either fords or dodges ur lucky to get 40 -50000 km on a set before there metal to metal...

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I used the Powerslot rotors, with the hawk pads. AWESOME! you can get them from Mopac.

Top Bottom