14 xm 163. Rear skid set up

BeachSled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Belt deflection/height as high as possible without dragging/squeeling?
Beachsled, one thing I have seen on several new sleds is the oil was never cleaned off the clutches properly....many dealers just throw a belt on and run it. Then the sheaves and belt are oil contaminated and will not grip like they should. An easy thing to do is pull the belt and clean the sheaves with soap and water and then lightly scotchbrite the sheave faces. Clean the belt as well, or start with a fresh belt. This oil had caused many problems on new sleds...eventually it will take care of itself, but its a quick/easy possibility to cross off the list. In theory it would be most evident where you are seeing a drop in performance, when there is little belt/sheave contact....as it upshifts things get back to normal.

When I got the sled home(from new) I went over it and checked the belt hight. The bottom of the ridge on the top cogs was even with the top of the secondary. Set like this would cause the track to creep ever so slightly on the sled stand.

I also cleaned the belt/clutches and scotchbrite scuffed both clutches. I noticed that my y pipe to muffler connection was blowing oil out the joint..... Maybe a light mist got sucked into the belt area ??? Not sure... But thanks for your input. Tomorrow I will sit and have a good look.

Winter Brew

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When I got the sled home(from new) I went over it and checked the belt hight. The bottom of the ridge on the top cogs was even with the top of the secondary. Set like this would cause the track to creep ever so slightly on the sled stand.

I also cleaned the belt/clutches and scotchbrite scuffed both clutches. I noticed that my y pipe to muffler connection was blowing oil out the joint..... Maybe a light mist got sucked into the belt area ??? Not sure... But thanks for your input. Tomorrow I will sit and have a good look.

Sounds like you did everything right. Maybe feel fortunate you don't have the ski lift issues most guys are trying to eliminate :) Does it feel like it runs strong? Not a dog off the bottom, just not hooking up?

BeachSled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you did everything right. Maybe feel fortunate you don't have the ski lift issues most guys are trying to eliminate :) Does it feel like it runs strong? Not a dog off the bottom, just not hooking up?

It does feel like a dog off the line, once your going and on and off the throttle it seems ok. But from a stand still in soft or hard pack off the bottom end it just doesn't have it.

motorheadracing

Reaction score
What's others done for the rear skid setup ??

I found it like to wheelie too much.

Was on the 3rd limit strap hole. Switched it to the 4th..

Now I can't for the life of me recall if the front shock is slacked off or cranked up ??

Looked at my xp but has the 2 stage spring. And its slacked off.

How many have drilled the rear arm hole back 3/4 of a inch , too keep the skis down and not trench as much.

Gets out of the snow good but think it can be better.

sent while I should be drinking twisted teas

Yes. I am running the same set up with a 3" and my limiter sucked up tight. I have moved the rear scissor. It was a positive change because it puts a bit more pre load on your springs, keeping your boards up. By doing this, it lowers the rear skid quiet a bit. To get the geometry similar to stock. I installed the tricked toys drop brackets. Without gear. I weigh 210lbs and In the end My sled sits higher keeping firm geomotry and dosnt lift the skiis while climbing. The positive changes trump the tiny bit of added ski pressure. Works good

Sent from my shoe phone

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes. I am running the same set up with a 3" and my limiter sucked up tight. I have moved the rear scissor. It was a positive change because it puts a bit more pre load on your springs, keeping your boards up. By doing this, it lowers the rear skid quiet a bit. To get the geometry similar to stock. I installed the tricked toys drop brackets. Without gear. I weigh 210lbs and In the end My sled sits higher keeping firm geomotry and dosnt lift the skiis while climbing. The positive changes trump the tiny bit of added ski pressure. Works good

Sent from my shoe phone

Awsome. I got a buddy ( bandit powder coat ) that does the drop brackets...

Guess I will see what they do when he comes over.

What do u have the front skid shock at ??? Loose or tight ???

motorheadracing

Reaction score
Awsome. I got a buddy ( bandit powder coat ) that does the drop brackets...

Guess I will see what they do when he comes over.

What do u have the front skid shock at ??? Loose or tight ???

I have only been out a few times this year and I have been happy with mid tension. I also forgot to mention that I switched to the 2up rear springs.

Sent from my shoe phone

Dooitorbust

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thats weird ..... even the last few years its said to have it on clicker 1 for the trail up and down [ so it don't over rev and wreck the reeds ] mind u most can ride it right and not let it ... mabe mines set up better ... dunno ... real happy with the stock clutch enough not sure if i will do a kit to it ... pulls harder than my 10 with a d.j adapted kit in it ..

only thing i don't like is the etech idles down and drops the belt coasting .... not used to have to keep stabing the accel on down hills ...

I was also annoyed with stabbing the throttle on the down hill. DJ's D2 helix fixed that for me.

2012 T-XP is the most fun I've ever had in snow!

BeachSled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don’t expect it to act the same as a 154, but seeing your video's it’s like we have two different sleds. My buddy rode mine in the exact same areas as his and he was shocked at how little mine would lift the skis. The only thing I don’t have that both of you do is the MBRP race can, I can’t see it making that much of a difference?

My limiter strap has slack on it when it sits on the ground as well. I was on clicker 4, stock can... It seems to lack bottom end snap and just general get up and go... Not sure, maybe it’s just a brake in thing? 68% left...

I can't get mine to wheelie at all, looks like my front track shock is about 1/4 - 1/2 and my spring is on 3. Limiter strap is where the dealer set it, hole 3 ? Running stock muffler. My buddies 154 with mbrp race can and same skid setting won't keep the skis down at all. What am I doing wrong ?

I will have another look at my belt hight, I had cleaned my clutches and belt before we went out. Buddies 154 was on clicker 3 pulling 78-7900 all day. I was at 7600 on 3 so I put it up to clicker 4 and was at 7900. Sleds were Pdi'ed on clicker 3 so that's where we left them to start with.

I'm happy with it but not thrilled with it, bottom end snap/take off is just not there.

It does feel like a dog off the line, once your going and on and off the throttle it seems ok. But from a stand still in soft or hard pack off the bottom end it just doesn't have it.

Figured out the problem! Took it in to Martins west and talked to the service manager. They found that both my fuel injectors were leaking and dripping extra fuel when the injectors were hot. I was also informed that the exhaust temp bung on my MBRP trail can was the wrong length. It should be 30 - 35mm to the end of the bung.

I have been out on one trip since it has been repaired and it runs so much better. I just wanted to post a update incase anyone else may have issues as well. My sled was leaving black exhaust snail trails everywhere I went.

This is what the can looked like before.

IMG_7246.jpg

Here is what the exhaust bung should look like. We cut it off and welded it back on at the correct length.

IMG_7299.jpg

grampoll

Reaction score
I thought guys were extending the bung, not shortening it. I have an mbrp trail that gives the muffler code once in awhile but doesn't seem to affect drivability. Was your injector issues related to the can?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BeachSled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The injector issue was not related to the can. The injectors were bad right from day one with this sled.

Skidoo issued a flash update to widen the temp reading allowance in the computer to allow the longer probe bungs to work. The flash update will stop the computer from flashing the muffler code but doesn't fix the incorrect temp reading due to the sensor being so far away from the exhaust gases. After talking to MBRP the confirmed that they have since shortened the bung on all new cans but will not do anything to repair or replace cans with the longer bung. By shortening it you will get better throttle response and more accurate fueling.

Hope this answers your questions. I am now very please with my sled. It runs like it should have from the start, now if we could only get a dump of snow

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No wonder I hate my mbrp can it looks just like yours! My friends with HPS run so much better. I wouldn't say they out perform mine on top end but the power band feels more like stock where as mine is.....well....not

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why do guys still waste money on MBRP cans, they have proven to be junk on etec's time and time again.

BeachSled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I upgraded from a 2003 zx so this was all new to me with the etec. But this will be my last MBRP can, I will try something else next time.

Top Bottom