10 Commandments of Mountain Sledding

Deano670

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Numbers 7,8,9,10 are the 4 i am most fond of and the ones most people could learn a lesson from:cool:And start adhearing to.

Roy Maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
x2 ...... I'm big tho lol. Talked to those guys at MM4 pulling avalanche alley. You gotta do it. :beer::d:beer:

Yes that was pretty bizarre if it is the same guys we saw in avalanche alley on the Saturday of MM4. Sometimes two on a steep loaded slope at one time and the other five or so all sitting in the run out zone. If that face popped which I have seen it do once several years back would not have been pretty. Worst thing was those watching did not have to go that far to get on top of a knoll which was out of the run out zone. Good thing you spoke to them as I was not about to. Far to many of them and I am not that big.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
6. Exposure to avalanche terrain. If crossing an avalanche path, expose only one person at a time.

8. Have visual contact with all members of your group at all times. We can cover a lot of ground in a short period of time in this sport. If there was an avalanche or any sort of accident, would you know where to start looking for your riding group members?

Carol has put a lot of thought into this article. It should generate a lot of positive and negative discussion but discussion is a good thing.

I'm a little confused with the above two? In most case in our riding area, putting those two together are nearly impossible. In her trips that involve checking avalanche terrain she hasn't come to Elkford.

Just one example. On the Crossing Creek trail, the main trail into our major basins and play area, there are 4 main avi paths (and 4-5 other smaller indiscreet ones). The safe zones for waiting or spreading out are not in the sight line of the riders. In other words, there are curves and elevation changes that block the vision and that occurs going up the trail and going down. Yes, we have some other areas where one can watch or spot the trail but most are impossible to practise "the Commandments" of #6 and #8.

What doo we doo in those areas? We minimize the risk; one person at a time with about 5-15 seconds in between each other and wait on the other side for all riders to come through. If an avi came down, we would have a hard time trying to see the last visual, but isn't that what beacons are for?

Ride safe and ride tomorrow, fs

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
11. If you are stuck and lost, never say anything over the radio that resembles "chopper". When your husband finds you he will kick your ass. True story.

Top Bottom