08 m1000 air intake

670rugerboy

Reaction score
I was out on the weekend and found after going in the deep pow (coming over hood) that i was getting a bog. Clean snow of intake vents and she would go. Samething happened in the mountains last week. Is there a better intake system out there, that this will not happen? Which one? Its a pain having to stop and clean intake every 5min.

Bummer

Reaction score
Need to read bogging issues!! There are several issues like fuel pressure pluged cans and you will most guy I think are getting a doondocker box to get rid of most of it!!! Just look through the site for bogging issues and there is a ton of good information on how to get rid of most of it!

Good luck:beer:

dabensmiller

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Timbersled or D&D intake. My sled hasnt bogged once in the deep pow and i run the Timbersled intake.

Bummer

Reaction score
I have the BD extreme air intake system and it still boggs/loads up at around 5000 rpm IF the temp in the pipe is 500 to 700 degrees and you hit the throttle it will load up than clean up and go!! Sure it will work better with new boondocker #S:beer:

sleliuk1

Reaction score
D&D firebreather is where its at, bdx intake is worse than the stock one, too much turbulence. Plus the firebreather is a filter, so i think that its pretty much a mandatory thing to have on all engines. Took my sled (M1000) and my cousins sled (M1000) to get dyno'd, and the guy couldnt even tune my cousins sled with the bdx intake, give errattic readings to the stock sensor because of the turbulence. Mine was no problem with the firebreather. Just my 2 cents

Bummer

Reaction score
Just looked at the D&D on line and it looks like 2 K&N air filters mounted to an aluminum bracket! Do they give you a different rubber boot to put inside going to the throttlebodys? or just use the stock rubber boot? Used to use K&N on mod sleds years ago and worked well!

sleliuk1

Reaction score
Just looked at the D&D on line and it looks like 2 K&N air filters mounted to an aluminum bracket! Do they give you a different rubber boot to put inside going to the throttlebodys? or just use the stock rubber boot? Used to use K&N on mod sleds years ago and worked well!

its one filter with two holes. they give you a mounting plate that mounts to the front of the intake.

670rugerboy

Reaction score
Is there no exterior (cold air) intake to this system ? I don,t want a system that sucks warm air from the motor.

Rucky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is there no exterior (cold air) intake to this system ? I don,t want a system that sucks warm air from the motor.

The stock one is an exterior intake :confused:

The BDX one pulls air from through the bumper. So far so good on my M8. No bog ever... And I've been in some fluffy snow up to the headlights.

scrfce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The stock one is an exterior intake :confused:

The BDX one pulls air from through the bumper. So far so good on my M8. No bog ever... And I've been in some fluffy snow up to the headlights.

x2 ... i like my bdx one, and all i ride is deep. its great but i do run it without the shelf. Im not to worried about sucking hot air either as ive got tons of venting and ceramic coated exhaust. Worth a look.

670rugerboy

Reaction score

The stock one is an exterior intake :confused:sorry I was talking about the D&D set up

do I need A programmer for this system?

670rugerboy

Reaction score
D&D firebreather is where its at, bdx intake is worse than the stock one, too much turbulence. Plus the firebreather is a filter, so i think that its pretty much a mandatory thing to have on all engines. Took my sled (M1000) and my cousins sled (M1000) to get dyno'd, and the guy couldnt even tune my cousins sled with the bdx intake, give errattic readings to the stock sensor because of the turbulence. Mine was no problem with the firebreather. Just my 2 cents

does the D&D have an exterior intake? I could not tell from their website.

sleliuk1

Reaction score
does the D&D have an exterior intake? I could not tell from their website.

No it doesn't, but if you throw some vents on your sled and in your front bumper it will. My sled is vented as much as you can get, and there is no performance lost from "sucking in hot air". If you have it vented well there is no hot air what so ever under that hood. The firebreather works the best tuning wise, you are able to tune the sled the best with this intake.

Bummer

Reaction score
That was what I was getting too! the D&D is 2 K&N air filters with a plate to block hot engine air from getting into the intake and the BD extreme is a larger filtering mesh with a blocking plate!! Sorry I dont buy a turblance in the air system as all B&D did was add a mesh that attaches to the stock rubber boot that is shape like a a funnell. Turblance sounds like D&D sale pitch as it $100 buck more than the B&D!!! Just my 2 cents!:beer:
I feel the bog most poeple are experiencing is being to rich in the low end then when you hit the throttle it loads up before it cleans up and goes and you can address that with a boondocker box.

Last edited:

sleliuk1

Reaction score
That was what I was getting too! the D&D is 2 K&N air filters with a plate to block hot engine air from getting into the intake and the BD extreme is a larger filtering mesh with a blocking plate!! Sorry I dont buy a turblance in the air system as all B&D did was add a mesh that attaches to the stock rubber boot that is shape like a a funnell. Turblance sounds like D&D sale pitch as it $100 buck more than the B&D!!! Just my 2 cents!:beer:
I feel the bog most poeple are experiencing is being to rich in the low end then when you hit the throttle it loads up before it cleans up and goes and you can address that with a boondocker box.

Whatever dude I know what works best and what doesn't work best. You can use the bdx one and it will work ok, but it won't work best. And that isn't a sales pitch from d&d it's from the guy that dyno's alot of sleds. Just thought I would give good advice but it always has to turn into a pissing contest.

Bummer

Reaction score
Relax!! No pissing contest ment or implied!! Sometime's emails dont come across as intended. I have run K&N for years on mod sled they work fine but I just don't get the turblance thing!!
Linderman is going back to modifing the stock intake not using D&D or B&D because of needing more air in deep powder!! Both they feel is limiting the air flow!! But again the bog is being delt with in the boondocker #.:beer:

sleliuk1

Reaction score
Relax!! No pissing contest ment or implied!! Sometime's emails dont come across as intended. I have run K&N for years on mod sled they work fine but I just don't get the turblance thing!!
Linderman is going back to modifing the stock intake not using D&D or B&D because of needing more air in deep powder!! Both they feel is limiting the air flow!! But again the bog is being delt with in the boondocker #.:beer:

Sorry! Thought thats what it was turning into. The guy that dyno'd the sleds says that because the bdx thing is so big and the air can get sucked in everywhere through that mesh, it creates turbulence and gives your stock sensor erratic readings and is really hard to dial in perfectly. Not saying it cant be tuned it just wont get tuned the best. For a normal guy tuning it you probably wouldnt see the difference but when he has it hooked up to monitor alot of stuff he see's it. With the d&d intake my sled took 3 dyno runs to get dialed in, my cousins 8 and still not dialed in. Threw the bdx intake in the garbage and put the d&d intake on and same thing, 3 runs and the sled is perfect. The stock intake is probably the best (with a few mods) if you are riding in windshield high powder all day and not stopping.

Deasoninc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ok gentleman with all that being said , what would be the most economical intake to use? And preferably one that you do NOT have to purchase a boondocker for. Thanks. :beer:

sleliuk1

Reaction score
ok gentleman with all that being said , what would be the most economical intake to use? And preferably one that you do NOT have to purchase a boondocker for. Thanks. :beer:

the BDX one is 180ish, D&D one is 250ish, timbersled is 250ish. If your sled is stock then you dont need a control box at all (you can run a can, y pipe, intake with no box) If you want to keep your intake really cheap use the stock system, drill a couple holes and use the flowrite vents (i think SLP makes them.) That is the cheapest option you have.

Top Bottom